New Airfix : He 111, Defiant & Sea King

Ossington 2

A new-tool Defiant, in 1/72nd, is very welcome in my book and long overdue.

I'm not particularly interested in the He-111, as I build mostly RAF types, but it is a new-tool and the old one was, well, old.

Plus, they'll be releasing other stuff... I hope.

LIDAR Scanning, so we can expect the most accurate model that was ever possible even if I am not that interested into the He 111 either.

Will certainly buy one nevertheless.

Just hope they bring a new Beaufighter also ...

• Like 1

Hmmm, why "Flying shovel ?" Revell re-box of Hasegawa is well priced and good quality... I suppose similar price by Airfix... Seaking dtto ("Gawa and DML)- (but with decals for Prince William mount i bought it.). But "deviant Defiant" is very goood choice and i bought TWO :P:) one for standard and one for night fighter version.

And - where is this big surprise ? :(

Looking forward to the Defiant and, as Occa stated - I'm hoping for a new tool Beaufighter TF.X (short nose)

Cheers,
Dave

I'm a big fan of the new Airfix team and think they have done a tremendous job over the last few years. I do feel however they will look back at this and see it as a marketing blunder. It's good to hype up your new offerings but clearly this time they over cooked it and most people feel disappointed. It's all a learning curve though!

Chris

• Like 2

There are 4 or 5 threads dealing with these 3 new Airfix kits. How many do we need?

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

I think part of the fuss Airfix was making was not so much about what is coming, although I am very pleased at the thought of a Defiant that might actually have a nose that you could fit a Merlin in and a decent Sea King HC4, it is the technolog they are creating the kits with. It will be interesting to see how this works out. Will people be complaining that a kit does not match the drawing or is the wrong shape when Airfix will say well it matches our scan of the original?

• Like 3

Lost many a battle with the old Sea King!! Not really a heelychopper fan but, I must admit this looks VERY tasty!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I'm a big fan of the new Airfix team and think they have done a tremendous job over the last few years. I do feel however they will look back at this and see it as a marketing blunder. It's good to hype up your new offerings but clearly this time they over cooked it and most people feel disappointed. It's all a learning curve though!

Chris

Most of the hype cam from outwith Airfix. They made a few announcements, but only little teasers. the rest was modelling Chinese whispers

• Like 9

I for one am thrilled at the idea of an all-new Commando. Cyberhobby botched all their Sea Kings badly, and Revell couldn't be arsed to do a Commando, so good play from the home team.

But it better be all new, not just another re-re-hashing. Foisting that AEWC boxing on the public was nearly criminal, given how poorly it stacked up against Revell's.

Chris

I couldn't disagree more with you.

The big news was LIDAR and justifiably so, if it brings the anticipated benefits of increased accuracy where it can be employed. Airfix did not hype it up at all. The only hype was from people with flights of fancy about large scale, new tool models. Even saying most people feel disappointed is open to dispute since you have no measurable way of knowing if that is true.

As for a marketing blunder, I seriously doubt that. What's the saying about the only bad publicity is no publicity? They have generated a great deal of enthusiasm and interest on here, even if in the end some people have been disappointed that what was high on their personal wish list was not forthcoming. In any case the three models announced will not be to sum total of Airfix releases for 2015.

• Like 9

Whenever Airfix release a new catalogue I am gagging to know what's in it, and equally gagging to get my hands on their new kits as soon as they arrive in the shops. But to be honest I have 100 plus kits up in my loft and again to be honest this is where most of my kits end up as soon as I buy them.

I do intend and expect to make them all of course.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best thing Airfix can do, is go through their 'back catalogue' of old models and re-release them to their current standards and as a bonus, chuck in something new once or twice a year. That way, we'll get nice new kits of all them models we made as kids, many of which no one else does (or is only available as a short run kit).

As previously stated, I'd love to see a new Do217 from them, maybe a Halifax III, and as a not previously done kit, the Beaufort.

thanks

Mike