J-35F/J Draken // Hasegawa // 1:48

Solo

Most important are the two ribs behind the windshield. A small instrument is fetched to the left one, and has a wire. Apart from that, there is not so much more. The Aires resin set gives a good representation of this area, so I would recommend you to search for a picture of that. I will also look for pictures that might help you.

Thank you so much, I will check out pictures of Aires set, but some pictures of real plane's would be very useful.

It would be great Andreas.
And frankly - all I have showed up to now I made some time ago.

Ok, next thing is the tail part.
It fits not so good to fuselage part, especially on the level of wings.
But of course some CA and sanding is a solution (I hope, the surfacer will show us the true).

As you can see the Aires exhaust fits really well inside the tail.
057.jpg

The tails is on position.

059.jpg060.jpg062.jpg

I decided to recreate wiring and some equipment (ok, just one thing :)) inside the rear wheel bay. It was very easy but I think such small details look nice.
I like it very much.

063.jpg

• Like 3

Looking really good! Detailing is excellent! In fact, the tail cone does not fit perfect on the real thing - but not as bad as on the model. You can see the difference on this picture:

http://www.bmlv.gv.at/images_skaliert/draken-knight_03_800x533_1414260855.jpg

But as far as I can see, yours are looking very good after sanding!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Yes, yes, on every picture I can see something like concavity, or break in this place, but the problem is to match the edges of those two parts.

The knife and sanding do the right thing.

Do you know something about this leather cover for panel behind the windshield? Is this some kind of cover, am I right?

DSC4388.jpg

Yes, it is a kind of cover made from a textile/leather kind of material. As you surely have seen, the colour is very matt black. I am sure that Andreas, who works with a museum where they have a Draken, can help you more here.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Another step on Draken's way.
As I wrote before, I bought Aires' vertical fin.
I compared it with kit's one and there is really no differences regarding panel lines or rivets, only Aires' has better recreated air intake.
The main difference is that Hasegawa's vertical fin fits much better then Aires' to fuselage, so I decided to use kit's part.
I drilled out plastic from air intake to make hole. Then I used Eduard's PE to make grid. I had to use some CA to mold correct shape of this elelemnt.

064.jpg

After that I assembled main air intakes near cockpit.
Those rounded parts do not fit perfectly to wings, so I cut off small positioning hitches and thanks to this I fitted it better.
Of course there was CA glue used again and a little of sanding.

The intakes has been painted inside - I think after assembly there would be to difficult to do it good (masking and all that stuff).

Meanwhile I mounted small parts on the edges of wings, especially one with gun barrel on the left. To do it I used aluminium profile from Albion Alloys.

065.jpg

066.jpg

Then I mounted vertical fin.
The base of it is a little to short, so there is a gap about 0,5 mm, so once again - CA filler, sanding, and sanding...

I believe the whole fuselage is ready.
There is only need to sanding some place and finish different small things.

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

• Like 3

I am looking for good picture(s) of Draken's engine exhaust.

I'd rather not pictures of museum version, but rather operational jet.

The museum's exhaust looks like covered with white flour.

Can you help me?

j35_mkii_draken_05_of_39.jpg

I am still working.
Added some small details in the cockpit, sanded everything what should be sanded, and now plane is ready for surfacer.

I am glad the windscreen fits perfectly.

070.jpg

071.jpg

The next step is Gunze 1500 Surfacer and some sanding.

I used wool abrasive (I am not sure how it is in English - this is something like artificial wool of 3M company) to polish the surface of model.

073.jpg

074.jpg

Then I painted the whole model with Gaia silver surfacer.
I did it because I want to have shining background before main painting process.
I can not use normal silver paint - it is to slippy.

So Draken is ready for preshading.

077.jpg078.jpg

• Like 7

This is the time to make some pre-shading - the bottom of model.
I am not so satisfied with result (the lines are still to thick), but I have serious problem to make control on this process.
I hope the painting will balance all mistakes.

079.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for those pictures - very useful.

Regarding Draken - do you know something about weapon loading for J version?
I am going to arm it with 2xAIM-9 Sidewinder and 2xAIM-4 Falcon (I don't remember swedish names).
Is this correct configuration?

Thank you for those pictures - very useful.

Regarding Draken - do you know something about weapon loading for J version?

I am going to arm it with 2xAIM-9 Sidewinder and 2xAIM-4 Falcon (I don't remember swedish names).

Is this correct configuration?

You are quite correct in using that load out. That would be the most common.

2xAIM-9P Sidewinder (Rb 24J) on the shoulder pylons, 2xAIM-26B Falcon (Rb 27) or 2xAIM-4C Falcon (Rb 28) on the wing pylons plus 2 extra tanks under the belly.

/Johan

• Like 1

So time of painting has come.
I have started painting on the bottom of the hull.
First I used Gunze C013, which is a little to dark grey, as I believe, so I decided to brighten it with C311.
With such mixed paints (with different relations of course) I brightened all panels and also I masked and then painted a little brighter (then others) few panels on left and right side of hull.
It was long process and I hope it is not so bad now.

082.jpg

083.jpg

Next step it was to paint the belly (of the beast) - for the first time I was painting metallic parts of the plane's skin.
First I used Alclad Duraluminium as base color.
Some panels I masked and painted with Alclad: magnesium, stainless steel and steel.

085.jpg

• Like 7