J-35F/J Draken // Hasegawa // 1:48

Solo

I have started work on my another model - swedish Draken by Hasegawa.

The jet is really nice so I decided to add some aftermarkets:

- ejection seat by Aires

001.jpg

- wheel bays by Aires

002.jpg

- engine exhaust also by Aires

003.jpg

- few wing's surfaces by Aires, but during work I decided not to use them

005.jpg

- Aires' main gear wheels

006.jpg

- vertical fin by Aires

004.jpg

- Eduard's AIM-8B Sidewinders

007.jpg

- QuickBoost's air scoops

008.jpg

- Eduard's PE set

009.jpg

- Eduard's masks

010.jpg

- Hasehawa's Falcons

011.jpg

- and few sensors made by Master

013.jpg

And of course the model:

012.jpg

There is a lot of to do.

I am going to make plane with green-blue camouflage.

I hope it will be very nice work - the model is really good, with nice details and good fitting, really simple to assemble.

I hope you like my work.

Edited by Solo
  • Like 4

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress, Solo.

Lovely collection of aftermarket there and the kit is, as you say, very good as it stands. I really like the that Swedish camouflage as well.

Andrew.

Wow! Impressive collection of aftermarket sets. I can't wait to see what will before of this one. Let me know If there is anything you need pictures of. I have full access to at least three Drakens.

:-)

Why are you not using the wing rudders? They are always hanging on Drakens on the ground.

Have you decided what aircraft you're going to build?

Andreas

I'm afraid this is too difficult for me to cut it off without any damages of the wing.

I can try, but I really do not want to spoil such beautiful model.

Regarding aircraft, there will be probably painting scheme number 2 - Swedish Air Force F10 (fin number 52).

If you got any pictures of this one, it would be wonderful to watch it.

Let me know If there is anything you need pictures of. I have full access to at least three Drakens.

Thank you so much.

For the beginning maybe you can help me to explain the problem with armament.

Regarding J version, according to my best knowledge, Draken can carry 2xAIM-4D Falcon (Rb28) and 2xAIM-9B Sidewinder (Rb27) missiles.

I am not sure, but is it true that those missiles in swedish air forces were just white?

There is many pictures with green missiles which I belive are training ones.

Am I right?

The first I made the cockpit.

And there was first problem, because the Aires' seat is a little to wide to fit cockpit tube.

020.jpg

The only way out was to cut off the side walls of the tube and spread it a little.

Before this action I tried to cut the tube in the middle, but it was not a good idea.

021.jpg

The seat fits almost perfectly after this.

024.jpg

025.jpg

I started to add some equipment in the cockpit, especially left wall side pannel and some details like oxygen tube ect.

030.jpg

And here there is ready and painted the cockpit.

032.jpg

033.jpg

And the ejection seat... I used some parts from Eduard's set, not used Aires' seatbelts.

035.jpg

And one inside the other:

036.jpg

037.jpg

039.jpg

• Like 10

Swedish a\c-s i think are one of the beautyful a\c-s in the world!!So Draken (and Viggen)- the most beautyful a\c in Swedish AF! Great start of the interesting build! Waitung for more! Good luck colleague!

Edited by Snitok1983

Ok, next step - the wheel bays.

Frankly this is my third model with Aires wheel bays and I had a lot of problems to cut off kit's bays, especially the nose bay. There is not so much place in the fuselage and I had not any electrical tool to do it, so I used only some knives and sanding.

041.jpg

It is not so perfect work, but I inserted all bays using CA glue and filled some small gaps with EverGreen polystyrene. And also used some CA - you can see it on the pictures as black spots (glue is black).

I hope it will be looking good after surfacer's painting.

043.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

• Like 2

Next step is to assemble the wings to fuselage.
Hasegawa made those parts very well, but thickness of wing's edge and edge of corresponding part of fuselage are a little different.
It is very difficult to fill up the differences and sanding, because there is a lot of panel lines and rivets in those places.
But there is no other way - I used CA glue and lot of sanding for both of wings.

051.jpg052.jpg

And the main body of the plane is ready.
You can see on this picture also some details of ram air turbine bay I have made on my own.
The bay is much too shallow to recreate all details of this very complex and crowded place, but I have made everything possible, I hope.
055.jpg

• Like 6

Possible.
I was afraid to do it.
I thought that it is not so safe to cut it, insert the seat and then try to fit the halves of fuselage.
I think cutting the side walls is maybe not easier, but safer method of solving this problem.

Great build so far, the cockpit looks excellent! Another way to solve the problem with the Aires seat is to cut away half of the left side panel. In fact, that method makes it more realistic, since Hasegawa have missed that the left panel does not go all the way to the rear wall of the cockpit.

Here is a picture from one of my Draken builds, when I used Aires seat but Hasegawa's cockpit:

DSC_0008_zpsc3f2e05e.jpg

Just a small remark: The elevons on a Draken were always in dropped position, when the engine was not running.

Great choice of subject! I will follow this with great interest! (No wonder... :))

Edit. The picture is now included in the post. If you want to see the whole build, here is a link:

http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.se/2013/09/saab-j-35f2-draken-hasegawa-148-2013.html

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

Just a small remark: The elevons on a Draken were always in dropped position, when the engine was not running.

I know, but probably it is too late to do something.

So this one will be with running engine. :)

I have question: has anyone got any pictures showing what exactly there is just under the windshield of cockpit?

As I know there are some wires there and I would like to make it.

I have question: has anyone got any pictures showing what exactly there is just under the windshield of cockpit?

As I know there are some wires there and I would like to make it.

Most important are the two ribs behind the windshield. A small instrument is fetched to the left one, and has a wire. Apart from that, there is not so much more. The Aires resin set gives a good representation of this area, so I would recommend you to search for a picture of that. I will also look for pictures that might help you.

• Like 2