1/72 Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

Looks good, might see if I can get my local model shop to stock that cyano, he sells the Zap stuff but it seems slow to grab

when I was doing etchy stuff on the Scout

Which reminds me, gaiters round the controls. Why not take the easy way and dabble a couple of triangular gobbets of plasticene round the bases of them?

Easy to shape and it will take a thin coat of paint especially if you slap a dab of PVA over the bit you want to paint

b

• Like 1

Yes, that photo was taken sometime early in the Banana build. I got the Gorilla glue from Hobbycraft if you didn't guess, I am now on my second bottle. For the gaiters I first thought of lead foil but I am now leaning towards Milliput (a bit more stable than Plasticine).

• Like 1

To glue on the PE panel I pretty much flooded the area with some thin superglue direct from the bottle and added a couple of spots to the back of it as well. I know this is an excess of glue but past experience has taught me that big areas of PE like this have a habit of grabbing in the wrong place and I want some manipulation time:

P1080945_zps333ca7f0.jpg

With that much glue in place I could "float" the part to where I wanted it, mop off the excess with a tissue and then press in to place (honest my fingers are not covered in glue) I was happy with the result:

P1080946_zps356b0dc6.jpg

The PE sticks above the kit part at the corners and a fit check confirmed that this would interfere with the canopy fit:

P1080947_zps662cad7e.jpg

So that needed sanding off, here one side is done with the other still to do:

P1080948_zps98d3a9d2.jpg

Next Eduard supply this part (44) to make a small raised area by the doorway:

P1080949_zps3382b31e.jpg

I had a check of my references and from what I can tell, this raised area should extend under the seats:

mv-22b_07_of_88.jpg

I decided to stow the PE part and create a new platform using some 1mm scrap card from my Dalek build (I am still knee deep in plasticard from that build, its nice to use it up):

P1080950_zps7a3a9cc0.jpg

Here that is fitted into place:

P1080951_zps6b285ed5.jpg

Next Eduard supply these floor parts to go around the rudder pedals and joy stick. Unfortunately they have got a few things wrong. This part 43 should go on the other side and the way they suggest to bend it is incorrect:

P1080952_zps64039fb8.jpg

The floor should slope down towards the rudder pedals as shown here:

mv-22b_09_of_88.jpg

This is my interpretation of how part 43 should be folded:

P1080953_zps268862bb.jpg

I installed a length of 1.0 by 0.5mm strip ready to receive the PE part:

P1080954_zps0787ea51.jpg

Glued in place it looked like this:

P1080955_zps3cc466e5.jpg

I know this creates a well under the seat that would fill with fluff and sweetie wrappers but my reference photos suggest this is correct:

mv-22b_11_of_88.jpg

I completed the other side as well as fitting the rudder pedals:

P1080957_zps9e539c8b.jpg

Eduard supply those as part of the prepainted fret with just a small area at the centre painted and the rest left with a silver metallic finish but as you can see from the previous photos they are not metallic and should have a grey paint finish. I think they look rather spiffy anyway as g-usa would say. I will now look at fitting the control columns.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6

That small area, a small dollop of plasticene (or maybe Das, hadnt thought of that before) will never get disturbed once you close up the 'pit' will it

a light wash with PVA will 'fix' it forever, then paint it grAy ish (well it is 'murrican isnt it)

It does look rather spiffy! And I second Hendie's idea of either paper towel or tissue coated with PVA glue. I would go with tissue as it is much easier to form by getting it slighty wet. Then, once formed how you like, coat it with a layer of PVA glue, let dry, and. It can easily be painted in whatever color it should be. I used this technique on the ultimately hidden gas tanks of my Typhoon and it went remarkably well. And we all know how lazy and unskillful I am; for you, easy peasy.

• Like 1

Interesting work there Nigel. For the control gaiters I'd form the basic structure from Milliput then press in some scrunched up kitchen foil to form the folds.

• Like 2

Today I went out and watched "Interstellar" so that took up a good chunk of the day, I did however manage to razor saw the canopy off its sprue and did a fit check with the cockpit tub to see what would be visible:

P1080958_zps78b15e19.jpg

Quite a lot apparently and the fit seemed to be very good.

I then added the control columns and the PE mountings for the seats:

P1080959_zps3e3fb24b.jpg

It is starting to look nice and busy in there.

I then used my vastly oversize tin snips to trim a sliver off the bottom of this PE part:

P1080960_zps6e18d2af.jpg

I have said this before but my big tin snips are capable of remarkable finesse sometimes.

This is slightly out of sequence but I had to add a block of 1.5mm thick plasticard so that the bracket for this handle would clear the console instrument panel to go on later:

P1080967_zpse8425d37.jpg

This is the handle control that had to be added:

P1080961_zps427bb4e7.jpg

Here it is in place:

P1080962_zpsff88aa14.jpg

P1080963_zps9301a679.jpg

I am sure you will agree that was well worth the effort.

This is what it is supposed to look like:

mv-22b_05_of_88.jpg

And my efforts with the console in place:

P1080964_zps58976769.jpg

I then wanted to see how things looked with the seats in place:

P1080965_zpse7253ff8.jpg

I might now have a go at mixing up some Milliput for the gators around the pedals and control columns.

• Like 10

A new build looking like 1/48 but labelled 1/72. Seems to be another master piece in the making. Will be interesting to follow.

I have given up on the green mats, they always bulge like yours but worse. I think it's due to the layers reacting differently to temperature, my green mats die when the warm spring sun hits the window above them.

• Like 1

In Scotland I understand they wear the gaiters to keep their wooly tartan socks in place whilst they wander up and down blowing into their little chanters...

Or so my dear old daddy would say.

And as a fair musician who could fill a bag and pipe down a chanter hisself he must be considered an authority.

Wasn't there an aerocoptery thing round here someplace, didn't I spot one a while ago?

• Like 2

Yes, that photo was taken sometime early in the Banana build. I got the Gorilla glue from Hobbycraft if you didn't guess, I am now on my second bottle. For the gaiters I first thought of lead foil but I am now leaning towards Milliput (a bit more stable than Plasticine).

Ha, when you wrote that I was on my second bottle too, Red Wine though.

DB