1/72 Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

Could n't agree more with everone else's sentiments Nigel, this is looking superb. :clap:

With that in mind I hesitate to mention one teeny tiny thing that caught my eye. Since you've spent so long getting everything "just so", is it worth slicing the "RESCUE" arrow decal in front of the entrance door and adding a wash to it so that the small, square panel line follows through? (The item in question can be clearly seen in your last image just above the masked glazing).

I apologise for appearing pernickety but it popped out at me. :unsure:

I'll get my :coat:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Geedubelyer, your observation came in a little too late I'm afraid as I had already applied the matt varnish and didn't dare go near it with a wash again but I did push the decal back with a blade and I think it looks a bit better:

P1110070_zpsyibuin9v.jpg

But we are getting ahead of events, last night I straightened and touched up the static dischargers:

P1110064_zpsnji2tq9z.jpg

I was about to start spraying the matt varnish but then remembered these things:

P1110066_zpswzrhr6nb.jpg

I cut one off and did a fit check. It was going to be almost completely hidden in the front U/C well so decided not to use them.

These were all ready then for a coat of matt varnish:

P1110067_zpstdzljmba.jpg

I tried to keep the coat as light as possible, just enough to hide the glue and slightly dull down the finish. I was particularly careful with the tails as black soon becomes grey, this is how they looked after:

P1110068_zps2mrffv0b.jpg

Then I applied some semi-matt varnish on the props to even out the finish, here the one on the right has been done with the other yet to be done (note the matt black spinner):

P1110069_zpsbyxbbeti.jpg

Next I started unmasking the glazing, I had been worried about the liquid masking on the canopy as it has been on there for months but I gave no trouble whatsoever:

P1110071_zpssg7wzdcy.jpg

I was quite pleased how it came out, then I hooked out the side window masking:

P1110073_zpsoh4xzb1z.jpg

So that's all the masking off:

P1110074_zps1annlvi9.jpg

I started to fit the side glazing starting with the triangular ones at the front. I was having doubts about how good an idea it was to fit the glazing so late, especially with the PE surrounds in place. My thinking was that the windows could always be sanded to get them to fit. One fell through into the cockpit and I had a right time getting it out, then it pinged out of my pliers. After a protracted search and starting to think I was going to have to make one from scratch I did eventually find it:

P1110075_zpsw0x8qqzc.jpg

I took this shot to show how far the little blighter had bounced (tip of scalpel):

P1110076_zpsbd9saow6.jpg

Anyway, I got them all in, the round ones were much less trouble. I'm still not sure I'd do it that way again. They do have a nice neat finish though. :hmmm:

After tidying the canopy I added the wipers using Gator glue:

P1110077_zpsfrpd03nv.jpg

Next I added some oil streaks to the engines using the box photo as a guide:

P1110078_zpsqxvubcvb.jpg

Next I added some brown pastel streaks

P1110079_zpsiar0vle1.jpg

I thought I was nearly finished but then remembered the lights. I already had a red navigation light left over from my last build so I got ready to make a green one to match:

P1110080_zps90d1eeqd.jpg

Here it is done and painted first with clear blue and then green:

P1110083_zpszofdq2at.jpg

I did this because my references showed a bluey green colour:

mv-22b_166480_21_of_64.jpg

Next the lights on the tail fin and underside. I decided the best way to tackle these angular lights was to make a rectangular punch tool from brass sheet, first drilled out with my motor tool and a 0.8mm drill:

P1110081_zpsi2bzuuev.jpg

After a bit of chiseling and filing here is the finished tool:

P1110082_zpsn5qua1nq.jpg

From the mould taken from the kit original I decided my first efforts were a tad undersize:

P1110084_zpsuapiximd.jpg

So I elongated the slot and made a few more. The sloped profile was added with a file and clear red was applied. Here is the first one on the tail:

P1110085_zpsxiyxqfua.jpg

The next best went on the underside, placed using the splash moulding as a guide:

P1110086_zpspwdf8d9r.jpg

Finally it was the downlighters at the front:

P1110087_zpsts6pojm3.jpg

Eagle eyed viewers may have spotted that one of the static dischargers had broken off:

P1110088_zpsa6hb2f5t.jpg

I found a nice thick bristle from my dusting brush and drilled out a 0.4mm hole:

P1110089_zpsjekpfmva.jpg

That added I think I can call this build as complete:

P1110090_zpslf6tlz0w.jpg

Its too late for an RFI today, I will try to get it done tomorrow, weather permitting. Its been quite a build with its share of ups and downs, I think it's the most challenging kit I have ever taken on. Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoyed.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 17

Thanks Matt, I think my next build will be a 1/72 Airfix / Heller Gazelle. I have some decals for an attractive Middle Eastern scheme that intend to use. September will be very busy on the house though so modelling progress might be a little slow.

This looks great, Nigel. Though it has put me off my CV-22....

Syrian Gazelle from 1982?

• Like 2

Outstanding work. Again the little details and extras you've added bring it to life. I agree with your order of assembly regarding the side glazings, a case of half of one, and six of a dozen of the other. Looks neater this way I reckon. good pastel work too, subtle, not too OTT. Look forward to the RFI.

• Like 1

Nigel - take the rest of the day off - then you'll be nice'n'fresh for the next build starting tomorrow!

Thanks for that hendie, I did.

Syrian Gazelle from 1982?

I am thinking more an Iraqi Gazelle from 1990:

P1110094_zpss3c83p1v.jpg

I have the kits and decals for this attractive three colour scheme:

P1110095_zpstqdirdtu.jpg

I already know milktrip approves, I don't expect mine will be as good as his efforts though.

I realised I had not quite finished this project though. there was still the masking on the front scope to remove:

P1110092_zpsgnyys0jr.jpg

And I still have to make the formation light:

P1110093_zpsyzx9mguz.jpg

Hopefully I will get that and the RFI sorted tomorrow. I will be taking this to Scale Scotland and Telford as well, all being well.

Regards,

Nigel

• Like 9

Cor! Brilliant! The fin transfers really seemed to have settled down. And score 1-0(?) against the Fearsome Carpet Monster for wresting the clear part from its drooling and slavering tautological jaws.

Fantastic job! Great to see the masking finally off. I'm looking forward to the next cab off the rank, :popcorn: in hand!

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Beautiful result Nigel and for me a very educational WiP, again. Thanks for sharing and I hope to make it to Telford to see it, and your good self, in the flesh :)

• Like 2

Hi Nigel,

Great job and great WIP. You have set an extremely high standard for other models to compare.

Now I'll have to make room in my bench for building one of these (too many ongoing builds at the moment...) but I'll never get to those heights of excellence...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

A fantastic build Nigel. I thoroughly enjoyed the varnish masterclass, (matt, semi-matt etc.). The attention to details is amazing, some of your photos had me guessing if it was the build or the real deal. My most sincere compliments on a magnificent piece of work. (if you are taking requests the Gazelle please :winkgrin:).

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. Special thanks to Philp for his help with the decals. Ced, I look forward to meeting you at Telford - I hear you are a true gentleman, exactly as I would have expected.

Tonight I finished off the formation light starting with some clear stretched sprue:

P1110096_zpsc0qmrzcx.jpg

After trimming and polishing here it is installed:

P1110097_zpsloqbmxji.jpg

Click on this reference shot for a nice close up:

mv-22b_30_of_88.jpg

I have now posted the RFI here.

Bye for now,

Nigel :bye:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel.

MY friend.... what can I say.

it is MIND BLOWING... You have created a MASTERPIECE.

it is made more SPECTACULAR and amazing because it is

of smaller scale. The detailing is SUPER and if you had trials and tribulations

And you came through them.... Well-

I was astounded when you came through them. You have been tenacious and I applaud you.

This was an Epic build but enjoyable. Loved it. . :heart:

Your OSPREY Is STUNNING.... VERY ..VERY....VERY. ..GORGEOUS.

:mike:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Julien locked this topic