1/72 Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

Here are my crab cakes:

P1110019_zps5tfonohc.jpg

It was a small portion, more of a starter really. I had a cream cake on standby.

I wanted to add some red stripes inside the nose gear doors, I found this in the spares box and trimmed it narrower:

P1110017_zpsvfeailjp.jpg

Here they are in place along with a label on the gear leg taken from the ever useful Mike Grant cockpit instruments sheet:

P1110018_zpsjn54tjbs.jpg

As a reminder, this is what I was trying to reproduce:

mv-22b_34_of_88.jpg

I masked up the lower door ready for some 308 grey which I am getting very low on:

P1110020_zpskg8lhpyl.jpg

This is the last job for it so there should be enough.

Then I noticed this strange white bloom on the tail decals (same on both sides):

P1110021_zpswzm5fzcp.jpg

I've never seen anything like that before. I had a go at swabbing it off with a cotton bud dipped in water:

P1110022_zpsu1edgmz9.jpg

That seemed to get rid of some of it, I also swabbed it with Micro Set and that seems to have fully sorted it. By the way, I am resisting the temptation to keep straightening the static dischargers of likely they will break off. I should have used stiff, black bristles like milktrip showed me a while ago, ah well live and learn.

Here is how the door came out:

P1110023_zpstqupozk9.jpg

Here it is after a dark wash:

P1110032_zpsgthw0mod.jpg

Then I gave all the undercarriage parts a smutty black Flory wash:

P1110024_zpsxylxi47b.jpg

Not forgetting the nose well:

P1110027_zpsnm5ht6l6.jpg

Now I could assemble the undercarriage, starting with the nose doors and leg:

P1110028_zps4din9kov.jpg

I glued the wheels onto the leg before inserting that as its all nice and vertical.

Next the main gear:

P1110029_zpsmlqum5vi.jpg

Next the wheels and main doors:

P1110031_zpsqksobvvg.jpg

Those two little struts proved a bit of a nightmare to fit, at one point I thought one had permanently glued itself somewhere inaccessible inside the wheel well but eventually I got it out. Here it is fitted:

P1110033_zpsrlmnsx2s.jpg

They do add a useful bit of strength to the doors at least.

Here she is standing on her shiny new legs:

P1110034_zpsjftfemgj.jpg

Next I'm going to spray the interior grey on the step parts.

By for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Here are my crab cakes:

P1110019_zps5tfonohc.jpg

Then I gave all the undercarriage parts a smutty black Flory wash:

Oooh! Feed us crab cakes then talk dirty. How kinky! Women must love you.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 3

These parts received the interior grey:

P1110035_zpsatremkh6.jpg

Apart from the final coat of varnish I think that is the last of the airbrushing for this model.

I placed some masking tape in my flat jawed pliers in an attempt to protect the paint finish while scraping off the superglue residue from the blade aerials:

P1110036_zpsmvkrxnh5.jpg

I glued all four of them on, this was probably the one that came out best:

P1110037_zpsahsr6oji.jpg

Next on went the pitot tubes:

P1110038_zps32lsd5db.jpg

Now the door was dry I set about painting the handle yellow and adding some decals from the spares box as well as giving it a light wash:

P1110044_zpsllpfj2ra.jpg

For reference, this is what it should look like:

CV_22B_GWenko_017.jpg

I did look for a suitable curved yellow arrow but there was nothing in my (fairly extensive) spares box.

I applied what I thought was going to be the last decal but looking closely at the instructions I discovered there was this decal for the upper door which extended onto the lower one:

P1110041_zpsxjkhkjod.jpg

It actually overlaps the other decal which is a bit weird but there you go:

P1110042_zpsjb02zvwp.jpg

The main bit of construction left is getting the side door attached but I think I am going to call it a night here.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Then I noticed this strange white bloom on the tail decals (same on both sides):

I've never seen anything like that before. I had a go at swabbing it off with a cotton bud dipped in water:

That seemed to get rid of some of it, I also swabbed it with Micro Set and that seems to have fully sorted it.

By the way, I am resisting the temptation to keep straightening the static dischargers of likely they will break off. I should have used stiff, black bristles like milktrip showed me a while ago, ah well live and learn.

The white stuff. Could it be decal glue? Or a reaction of the micro set? I had something similar on my allouette and I put it down to applying micro set too soon after Sol (or is it the other way round?) Anyway, when it happened to me it was almost instant so probably not this. At least, whatever it was, has cleared up okay.

Thanks for the plug but it really should be Col. That takes the credit for the bristles. It really is a good idea.

• Like 1

Sorry, definitely not American size portions. Its how I maintain my lythe and svelte physique. I have to beat the ladies off with a big stick (as Space Ranger correctly observed).

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

Im not sure that even a Scottish portion size Nigel .. Still looks good .. The salad looks freaking really good . I love good salads..

I bet you do bet the ladies off .. Good looking man like you are .. Also the wealth you have

Rick

• Like 1

Hello Nigel,

I have just read through this thread, after reading through a number of others of yours. I' m speechless, but in a good way! Fantastic work: I caught myself a few times thinking, "this is a photo of the real thing - hang on, no it's not, it's a model, and a 1/72 scale one at that!" I take my woolly winter hat off to you!

I particularly liked the area inside the side door, with one of your signature fire extinguishers :). Once again, fantastic. You certainly have raised the bar and given me a goal to work towards - whether achievable or not doesn't really matter. It was also great to see some pictures of food - an essential part of AA's thread - making a tentative comeback.

It's a strange wee beastie, the Osprey, and seems to be mostly driven by hydraulics. It must be a maintenance nightmare as it looks to be a very complex piece of engineering. I have the Italeri 1/48 kit of the animal, and your thread will be a very useful reference for it when I get to it down the track.

It's looking fantastic, and I love those stain black props with the transfers neatly applied - they finish it off perfectly. Apologies for the gushing, but it does look really lovely!

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 3

Today Martin, our club chairman, dropped round to see me to pass over some modelling items and instructions for the next club meeting. He also brought along a housewarming gift:

P1110058_zpsy0m6wg7w.jpg

Old style Klear from his precious stash to replace my depleted store - thanks Martin!

Lawns of the Heath estate mowed, I set about attaching the lower side door, starting with this clamping arrangement to get gravity on my side:

P1110054_zpsdb6xnnub.jpg

I made this little card and Blu Tack support:

P1110055_zpsumyqyk50.jpg

After a bit of adjustment I got the angle of the steps right:

P1110056_zpsmgbm8zxs.jpg

P1110057_zpsnlxcsoug.jpg

I glued on the door with a mix of Gorilla and normal super glue to hopefully give it extra instant grab and strength then I painted the ends of the stays with interior grey:

P1110059_zpsusbr4edz.jpg

Here is the first one installed:

P1110060_zpsjt2non7d.jpg

Some of the pale burnt metal came off in the struggle which I touched up later.

Then I did the other side as well as fitting the PE retractor arm thingie:

P1110061_zpsweju804c.jpg

I removed and reattached the pitot tubes on this side as I wasn't happy with their positions as well as painting the sticky out bits with tyre black:

P1110062_zpsozunhs83.jpg

I straightened and touched up the static discharges, hopefully for the last time:

P1110064_zpsnji2tq9z.jpg

Finally, to protect the glazing in the upper door from varnish I put in a foam block:

P1110063_zpsycilhsd9.jpg

I will go over it again in the morning and make sure I have done everything but I think this is now ready for a final dusting of matt varnish. My model is now festooned with delicate parts and I am having to handle it very carefully, using only a few safe areas. Hopefully things will go well with the varnishing and then it's just the side windows, wipers and lights to add, plus a final bit of weathering. :thumbsup:

Bye for now,

Nigel :bye:

• Like 19

I had that "ah, another photo of the real th- ... no, it's not!" moment again, looking at the newly-installed-and-liberated-from-their-support steps!

Fantastic!

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Superb. Those steps are amazing. The close up shots of the retractor arm and the sneaky view of the fire extinguisher look like miniaturised versions of the real thing.

Certainly do, & they invite you to actually climb aboard...!!

• Like 2