1/72 Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

Here are all four finished and compared to the Eduard parts and kit originals:

P1100985_zpshv2exjso.jpg

Well done Mr. Heath!!

Mark

ps I believe pitot static tubes are heated to prevent icing.

Edited by Mark Turk
  • Like 1

ps I believe pitot static tubes are heated to prevent icing.

They are indeed, one of the preflight checks on the Bulldog was to switch the master switch & pitot heater on & then check the tube was warming up, then switch master off. If you got distracted & forgot for a few minutes it didn't half smart when you finally remembered to grab the pitot & check it when it was fully warmed up!!!

• Like 3

They look superb. You must have the patience of a saint mind, but seriously good micro-metalwork going on there. You could easily flog them as aftermarket parts. That said, time and cost per hour per turnover would be one helluver labour of love!

• Like 1

I've been building models for nigh onto 60 years and I've never won a thing! :weep:

To win anything you do have to enter them into the competition. Having done this I am sure your lovely models would net something.

I guess as long as they don't melt they couldn't get too hot

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Americans are typically extravagant when it comes to heat output.

I was not looking forward to the PE twiddly bits but found it to be a very absorbing bit of modelling which I rather enjoyed.

• Like 3

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Americans are typically extravagant when it comes to heat output.

(Especially our politicians.)

Some pitot tubes can reach temperatures over 500 degrees Fahrenheit so I figure you could use one to cook one of your culinary masterpieces.

Back on topic: The Ospery is looking great. I agree with you about not trying to center the pitot tube on the mount in this scale. That is one of the things I appreciate about your building philosophy; very often a part, especially a small one, doesn't have to be a perfect scale replica of the real part as long as it looks right on the model when finished. Damn the riivet counters, full speed ahead! 😀

• Like 4

Thanks Matt, I think my next build will be a 1/72 Airfix / Heller Gazelle. I have some decals for an attractive Middle Eastern scheme that intend to use. September will be very busy on the house though so modelling progress might be a little slow.

• Like 5

Hi Nigel,

Just found your thread. Really stunning modelling work, as always :goodjob:

I'll keep this thread bookmarked as a reference for my future build of this kit.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Outrageously splendid modelling, as so often. Pitot heads do indeed get mighty hot, and often stay that way for some time after you have shut down and climbed out. See if you can guess how I know...

• Like 1

I started today by getting the last remaining parts ready for an airbrushing session:

P1100995_zpsp4nuotpu.jpg

The PE parts first with some grey primer:

P1100996_zpsmwtqo97c.jpg

That allowed me to check them over and do some tidying up (mainly picking off bits of fluff). Next the parts for 308 grey and matt black:

P1100997_zps0ydsmwx4.jpg

Here are the black parts done (the loose blade ariel is one of the first ones I made and I painted it up as a spare):

P1100998_zpsxonfqvrw.jpg

Next I got some pale burnt metal Alclad on the pitot tubes and side door stays. The idea behind the latter is that the real parts are wire rope with what looks like a yellow zinc chromate finish which I thought could be simulated with this metallic. The end fixings I will paint interior grey later:

P1110001_zpsjnxecdkm.jpg

The camouflage demarcation line on the lower side door runs at a distinct angle which I laid out from the model with tape. During this one of the hinges started to detach as you can see so I glued that and put it to one side to set:

P1110002_zpszsthepzp.jpg

Now I could get on with some detail painting, first the hydraulic jacks on the U/C legs:

P1110004_zps89rod6dc.jpg

Next some 337 grey on the base of these mushroom aerials:

P1110003_zpsmutpzs4d.jpg

I had also realised that the main wheel dust caps should be yellow so I did those:

P1110005_zpsfa4pq5qs.jpg

Those and a number of other undercarriage parts need a wash and they can then be fitted.

Finally I painted the actual pitot tubes with burnt iron Alclad and then used some diluted clear blue and orange to try to create the prismatic burnt metal look:

P1110006_zpseibpmsx0.jpg

Now for some assembly, I snipped these parts off their painting holders:

P1110007_zps0ospfoze.jpg

This is where they go, many months ago I recorded the length of the rod on the instructions:

P1110008_zpsx8kxoep5.jpg

Here they are fitted, I smoothed off the cut end of the rod and will touch it up later:

P1110009_zpsjunya3h8.jpg

I also glued these blade aerials on:

P1110010_zpsgle5phpr.jpg

The PE one lasted about five minutes, the black finish allowed me to find it easily enough - I think I'll leave it off until after the undercarriage is fitted now.

I glued on the mushrooms:

P1110011_zpsbkmdtmv9.jpg

Finally the retracted upper side door:

P1110016_zpsscpdogn7.jpg

That was tricky to photograph but hopefully you get the idea. That's it for now.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Phenomenal. The yellow dust caps are a great touch. Nice burnt effect on the pitot tubes as well. Considering the size, it's amazing you managed to achieve such an effect

• Like 2

What Aaron says

The heated pitot looks too hot to touch

remind me not to if you bring her to Telford

Your usually aweinspiring touches Nigel

very tasty

(look mate, I got a nosh reference in, hope Mike doesn't notice)

;)

• Like 3