1/72 Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

Very nice resin pieces and you seem to be in your element playing the mad scientist! Cause for worry? Would Tamiya smoke work for your canopy? All in all it is looking great!

• Like 1

G-usa you know I am a bit of a mad scientist from personal experience. In my opinion Tamiya Smoke would be OK but it is a bit brownish and maybe not quite so satisfactory as the Mr Color smokey grey. Hmm, reminds me of those lovely pork ribs we shared.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

Glad you posted that bit about the AK blackening fluid Nigel, as it's been on my shopping list to get for a while, but I had no idea how effective it is. Can you let us know if it is more difficult to remove after a longer drying time?

Resin moulding's fun, isn't it? Always like making a mess, me...!!

Ta

keith

• Like 1

Pork ribs? Share? I'm sorry, What?

This blackening fluid, could it be the same

stuff I used to paint onto rusty cars?

Folic acid rings a bell.

Could be a cheaper way of getting

the same effect.

Those exhausts look good.

Must be the cheap fuel they use.

• Like 1

This blackening fluid, could it be the same

stuff I used to paint onto rusty cars?

Folic acid rings a bell.

Could be a cheaper way of getting

the same effect.

Good thinking - I have a gallon or two of that in the garage (essential bodily fluid for a 1979 Mini) - I shall dig some out & see what happens...

K

• Like 2

On the blackening fluid I have to report its still very easy to scratch off:

P1090235_zps373fe057.jpg

I think I'll give it a coat of varnish, that should help.

I did a bit of research and apparently copper carbonate solution makes brass turn black. There are no ingredients listed on the bottle but the blue colour suggests a copper salt.

• Like 3

Today I went out for a nice lunchtime curry with Duncan B so I did not really get going until the afternoon. In preparation for filling the seams on the engines I blocked off all the openings in an attempt to prevent dust ingress:

P1090236_zpsbee44d0f.jpg

That stiff foam came in handy again to support the tape over the exhausts.

These side intakes go where marked and are handed so I am leaving them attached to the numbers on the sprue until after I paint the insides:

P1090237_zps9cd472ec.jpg

I thought it prudent to make a photographic record of the panel lines by the seams before they are obliterated:

P1090238_zps882026a8.jpg

P1090239_zpsd1ac7b66.jpg

I filled the seams with Squadron green putty, my first weapon of choice in such cases:

P1090241_zps788ca014.jpg

While that was hardening up I had a look at the main wing assembly:

P1090242_zps4b5fd0a3.jpg

The main thing to sort out was the "detailing" exposed on the wing tips and engine sides that would be highly visible with the engines in the vertical position:

P1090243_zps4f62a063.jpg

P1090244_zpsb6dd8ad9.jpg

Compared with reality the kit details are rather feeble and I think will have to be completely replaced. These are photos of the engine sides:

mv-22b_58_of_88.jpg

mv-22b_51_of_88.jpg

mv-22b_42_of_88.jpg

This is the wing tip:

mv-22b_50_of_88.jpg

mv-22b_02_of_88.jpg

I think I will remove these indicated areas first:

P1090246_zps3a873a7a.jpg

It might be a good idea to make a cast of the area first though.

I could not resist fitting the wings and making some engine noises:

P1090245_zps823a934e.jpg

What a nutter.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

It was a buffet and very fine it was too. :eat: I haven't done anything at all since I got home so consider yourself lucky.

What a strange beast this Osprey thing is and I'm still not convinced the poor fit is due to all the extras you've thrown into it. It will be very impressive when complete though.

DB

• Like 1

I am convinced of something very definite now I have had the opportunity to look at T H A T

Osprey?

Hasegawa?

Ahhhmmm ooot

There's not a sensible shape in on or even perilously near that machinery

But that said Nigel you are skinning it to bare bones nicely and I am convinced that you will have it pummeled to dust and 'stand-up perfectionised' soon

I do not think you made the nacelle shapes such a lousy fit either

so

fine work, carry on

;)

• Like 1

That's certainly a big hydraulic valve block that needs replicating Nigel.

I'm sure you will have no problems though.

Loving the work on the engines, especially the exhaust area. Looks super realistic.

Keep it up, looking foreward to more.

Matt.

• Like 2

A modest update tonight as I have been making soup and Southern Fried Chicken. First I cleaned up the seams on the engines and added more filler where required:

P1090248_zps8b54a391.jpg

I then used some silicone putty to make a cast of the wing and engine details that were shortly to be removed:

P1090249_zpsfed43484.jpg

This stuff sets in about five minutes so the detail was soon preserved:

P1090250_zps31c4b0ee.jpg

Its club night tomorrow so I don't think there will be much to report so its bye from me for now for a day or so,

Nigel

• Like 2

I am looking into my crystal (actually cheap glass) ball and I see bits, I see bobs, I see wire, I see tweezers in your future. Can't wait to see what inventive way you come up with to do all the piping and hydraulic works.

• Like 2

A belated happy new year Mr Heath: Here's a cracking photo proving how psychotically wrong this Osprey thingy is, its wing rotates to become parallel with the fuselage... Nigel Heath? More Heath Robinson.

Anil The Aeronautically Disturbed

Wow. Just how much is there that could go wrong with that aeroplane? It is soooo mechanically complicated :)

• Like 2

The more I study this aircraft the more impressive it becomes, it really is an amazing piece of aerospace engineering.

Last night was club night so I didn't get any bench time but I did ask if anyone had some suitable parts in their spares box or knew of any aftermarket that could be used to replace the poor kit details on the engines and wing tips. I was given a few leads which I will be investigating further in the coming days. Tonight I did start to remove some the the engine details but I don't want to go any further until I have some replacements to hand:

P1090266_zpsa97aa17c.jpg

Instead I turned my attention to the tail assembly. The fins had an excess of dried glue in the location slots which I gouged out using my trusty Micro-Chisel:

P1090267_zps9f1c4e93.jpg

Eduard provide parts 93 to replace these marked raised rectangles which need to be removed along with the navigation lights, also marked:

P1090268_zps63f69167.jpg

Here they have been removed and I also drilled out the tail light with a 0.8mm drill. The lights will be replaced much later in the build with clear plastic. I have also marked the four features which Eduard propose should be removed and replaced with some of their detailing:

P1090269_zpsf22dd6ce.jpg

For reference this is what these features should look like:

mv-22b_166480_41_of_64.jpg

I had a think and decided that a better scheme was to leave the kit features and drill out some holes with a 0.3mm drill that could be fitted with some 0.2mm nickel silver wire later in the build. I also found that Hasegawa had forgotten to include two of these features on one of the tail planes (see arrows):

P1090270_zps7cfd6278.jpg

I first tried to replace the missing detail with part of the Eduard PE but decided that did not look right:

P1090271_zps11c0dfd5.jpg

Instead I added some strips of cut down plastic strip, probably about 0.25mm square:

P1090272_zpsb52d2540.jpg

I then spotted that there were some shallow sink marks on just one of the tail fins which need sorting:

P1090273_zpsd293d6cd.jpg

I knew that doweling the fins would be a good idea for strength so added some 1mm brass rod:

P1090275_zps8025ee67.jpg

I could then glue on the first of the fins:

P1090276_zps242ffd41.jpg

It feels nice and strong so hopefully will be OK.

Well that's as far as I've got tonight so its bye from me,

Nigel

• Like 5

NIGEL! Here's to you. :drink:

...and at what magnification is 'Der Meister' operating at...I need glasses just to see the screen.

(This is defo better than coming home to TV - And many thanks for the pleasure!)

Can't wait for your Wessex HAS Mk.1 Meister Klasse...nudge, nudge! (Oh, in 1/48th by the way) :whistle:

G

• Like 2