'Over-dressed' - 1/72 SAML 'Pinguino'

To my shame, I started this model as part of the Trainers GB, but didn't get it finished.....

It represents a Paraguayan 'taxi trainer' from 1928 (which they made by removing the wings from an obsolete Italian-built SAML biplane), and is to be part of my collection of Chaco War aircraft.

It was used by novice pilots to practice the tricky technique of 'lifting the tail', without the risk of premature take-off. The French invented this type of training aircraft during WW1, calling them 'Roleurs' (Rollers). Other nicknames have include 'Grasshoppers' and, as in this case, 'Pinguinos' (Penguins).

The kit was an old Joystick Models vac-form (I can now claim to have made my first vac-formed biplane ;)), with the pilot figure from the Frog Gipsy Moth kit. The engine, prop and radiator are all white metal - I had to add weight to the tail to prevent it from being a 'nose-sitter'!

P1090054_zpse6192a07.jpg

P1090055_zpscc69c63c.jpg

P1090057_zps24fb4d79.jpg

P1090056_zps207715aa.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cliff

• Like 10

It's a beauty, Cliff! Love the tittle too :)

Thanks Carlos :)

A ( belated?) Well done!! A shame you didn't finish it for the GB. I like that a lot.

Cheers Paul. I had a major loss of mojo this year - this is my first 'finish' of 2014! Getting back into the groove now though..... :wicked:

Cliff

Thanks everyone for the continuing comments and 'likes' :)

Wow, what an interesting air, ooops, I mean, groundcraft ! This is a terrific build and she displays herself in a very intriguing way.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I never know quite what to call it either.

A nose sitter, there's a problem we don't encounter that often!!

Interesting subject and nicely presented. Your mojo may have gone but skills remain!

Hi Leon. I noticed the weight issue just in time. With the lead counterweight, this is probably the heaviest model I've ever built!

Cheers

Cliff

I'll second Leonl, never expected to see that!! Noticed that you're building a Ju 52, which one?

Thanks spaddad. The Ju52 will be a Bolivian freighter, similar to this one. Are Ju52s a particular interest of yours?

Nice build of a very unusual subject, thanks for sharing

Dieselweasel

Thanks Dieselweasel. I'm glad you liked it :) .

I was prompted to do it by the IPMS Telford theme for tomorrow's SMW which is 'Not as Intended'. Mine is one of the more sane offerings!

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks spaddad. The Ju52 will be a Bolivian freighter, similar to this one. Are Ju52s a particular interest of yours?

Not specifically, my main interests are Minor Wars / Armed Forces and equipment in service after it has reached its "sell by date", ie Boeing P-26's in Guatemalan service in 1957 would tick all the boxes as would Honduran Corsairs in the 1969 Soccer War or Syrian Jagdpanzers in the Six Day War. A Bolivian Ju52 is on my to do list but I was thinking of doing Huanuni with the modified windows

• Like 1

Hi spadad

It looks like we have similar interests!

I shall be doing mine as Huanuni too (but without the modified windows and doors :doh:)

I have already built Chorolque (in the original LAB aluminium/black scheme).

Hope you'll join us in the Lesser Built Air Forces Group Build if it goes ahead in 2015 :welcome:

Cheers

Cliff

Hi spadad

It looks like we have similar interests!

I shall be doing mine as Huanuni too (but without the modified windows and doors :doh:)

I have already built Chorolque (in the original LAB aluminium/black scheme).

Hope you'll join us in the Lesser Built Air Forces Group Build if it goes ahead in 2015 :welcome:

Cheers

Cliff

I'd like that, keep me posted

• Like 1

I'd like that, keep me posted

Will do, spaddad.

The first stage, if you haven't already done so, is to vote for the Lesser Built Air Forces Group Build in the 2015 GB Poll please. You can also vote for up to five other GBs that may interest you. Thanks.

I like this, something different.

Saves on the rigging eh!

Curses Julien, you've rumbled me!

Cool - nice to See one without Wings but still having a purpose.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. I'll probably make another before too long. The Bolivians also used Penguins during the Chaco War, but in this case they were Morane Saulniers and I believe that their wings were clipped, rather than removed.

Someone was telling me that they thought that the Indian Air Force did something similar with some of their Tiger Moths. I haven't researched this yet, so don't know if it's true....

Cheers

Cliff