Difference between BF 109F-4 and G-2

Crossy

Hi guys, not really much of an expert on the 109. Got Has. 1/32 BF109G-2 Tropical, but have a resin cockpit pit set for the 109F-4 and the montex 109F-4 Tropical. So was wondering what are the visual differences between the marks and can I get away with using the detail set and montex markings? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards Rodney

Google is your friend, try an image search

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=5018

Bf109F

post-2-1109021126.jpg

Bf109G

http://axis.classicwings.com/Luftwaffe/messerschmitt/images/MT 507 Tikkakoski Cockpit.jpg

Watch out for restoration, the G above in in Finland as is authentic.

Worrying about the accuracy of the cockpit but not paying attention to the external changes is not the way for an accurate model.

The F and G have quite a few subtle external differences, the F has no upperwing panel lines, and a fuel filler below the cockpit, the big one is the cockpit framing,

F

f4_left_trop.jpgf4_bottom_trop.jpg

Note round wheel wells

G--2

g2_left_common.jpg

If you can get an aftermarket or replacement F canopy, then it's quite feasible. If not then from the point of a accurate model, then no.

A late 109E canopy is basically the same as an F I think, and various 109E kits often have early and late canopy styles as options, which is one route. Some F have external armour glass as well.

Edited by Julien
Please do not post copyrighted images

Since you are specifically asking about using the masks and cockpit set for a F-4 in a G-2 and not can I make the G-2 into an F-4, the answer is essentially yes. Personal/unit markings would be different, but national markings should be similar so the masks ought to be ok. Likewise aside from minor changes you may see in the photos Troy posted the only potential concern with the cockpit set would be "does it fit the Hasegawa kit"?

When were the larger tyres and associated small upper wing bulges introduced? And the larger tailwheel?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that was the G-6 and it was known for the wing bulges rather than the bulges on the breech blocks of the 13mm MG's.

As regards the initial question, I would ask, does the cockpit fit in the actual kit in question? The reason I say that, is that I doubt many people would be able to tell a Bf109F cockpit from an early G cockpit. I know a lot more about the Bf109 than the 'average person on the street' but I'd not know the difference between the cockpits!

The big change between the F and the G, which I'm sure most people know about is the change from the DB601 to the DB605 engine. The main external relevant difference for the original question can remember, is the one people have said about the forward lower quarter light bit of the canopy.

My advice is that if the cockpit fits, use it as know one will really know. As for the mask, do Montex do a mask for the G-2? If so compare it closely to the mask for the F, if it's the same as the mask for the G, expect for the extra quarter lights, then you might get away with it.

thanks

Mike

I'm sure I've read somewhere that was the G-6 and it was known for the wing bulges rather than the bulges on the breech blocks of the 13mm MG's.

FWIW, the G-4 introduced the larger wheels with the small bulge in the wing upper surface.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2014 at 23:38, Dave Fleming said:

still think the biggest difference is the wheel wells

Just for you Dave ;)

as it's a good point. Some F's didn't have the round well though. [ Early F-2's? ]

F - from http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/10132/10132.htm

G-2 http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/10639/10639dw/10639dw.htm

Edited by Julien
please do not post copyrighted images
  • Like 1

Thank you very much guys much appreciated. I bit the bullet and ordered a Tropical Marseille 109F-4 for the set, which will solve the problem. All these photo's and drawings are going to help heaps. The Montex masks are for one of Marseille 109F-4's. So the problem is solved for now. Again thank you very much you guys are greatest

Regards

Rodney

• 2 years later...

Hi cross, the f-4 had round wheel Wells and the f-2 had squared wheel  Wells, also some early g-2 's were converted on the production lines from F-4 airframes like black 6, when that did the rebuild that found that it had some axis panels off both marks f and g 

2 hours ago, Niknak said:

Hi cross, the f-4 had round wheel Wells and the f-2 had squared wheel  Wells, also some early g-2 's were converted on the production lines from F-4 airframes like black 6, when that did the rebuild that found that it had some axis panels off both marks f and g 

My understanding, as well. In the Schiffer book on Bf-109F/G/K's it states that F-2's had the squared-off wheel openings and almost all of the F-4's had the round ones.

Mike

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

My understanding, as well. In the Schiffer book on Bf-109F/G/K's it states that F-2's had the squared-off wheel openings and almost all of the F-4's had the round ones.

Mike

If you are going to convert a g-2 to a f series, the easiest f to do would be a f-4z. As it used the same engine and deeper oil cooler and larger supercharger intake and had the same props as the g-2. So basically  only access panels and fuel filler points need changed. 

Edited by Niknak

On 30/10/2017 at 19:56, Niknak said:

If you are going to convert a g-2 to a f series, the easiest f to do would be a f-4z. As it used the same engine and deeper oil cooler and larger supercharger intake and had the same props as the g-2. So basically  only access panels and fuel filler points need changed. 

see image posted here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970237-difference-between-bf-109f-4-and-g-2/&do=findComment&comment=1783842

Also,  two small scoops above exhaust, no quarter lights on the canopy,  which is a different canopy,  with heavier framing, (brought in for pressurisation on the  G-1 IIRC)

Vector Resin do  a 1/48th conversion for the Zvezda F-4 kit

http://www.neomega-resin.com/conversion-set-to-turn-bf109f-4-into-bf109g-2-843-p.asp

Edited by Troy Smith
add detail
  • Like 1