Harriers. Lots of Harriers.

After a few days of relative inactivity, I've found time to post a quick update.

As of posting, 'Lucy' is painted up and undergoing the tedious decal/stencil-application process. I've foregone the gloss coat after laying the paint down, as I've found with Xtracrylix, it tends to leave a nice, smooth surface, which (to date) I've had no problems with, regarding silvering etc.

I have jumped the gun a little with the wash, mind you. I was so excited to try out the Flory wash after getting a hold of it, that I had to try it out. And I have to say, I am extremely impressed by the results.

6PRi0LK.jpg?1

I've placed a few decals already (I challenge anybody to say that the roundels aren't the first thing to go on a model when decalling!) to see how they react with the finish of the Xtracrylix, and so far it looks promising!

zz0oYhn.jpg?1

G5jneXq.png?1

L7Shkuj.jpg?1

With a little determination, and a few cups of Tea, I should get her all decal'd up by the end of the night. The landing gear is going all-right, although the front main gear were a right pain in the backside. Having to bust out the filler on landing gear is never a good sign :fraidnot:

Still, I'm still happy with the way she's going. Weathering will be interesting... I'm not too sure how grimy they got in-theatre, although she's going to be a much dirtier girl than ZG477! I may see how she looks with a few exhaust stains and the wash I've already applied, and leave it there.

Thanks for looking!

Daryl.

• Like 4

Evening, all!

Quick update on ZD404. As she stands, I'd say (sans ordnance) that she's 99% finished.

tQjIqKq.jpg?1

I need to find my Tamiya Weathering Master set with the burnt metal/oil stain pigments to finish off the exhaust stains/hot exhausts, and the vertical stab needs the protective tape painting on the leading edge, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with how she's sitting. There's a couple of areas that need touching up, but I'm operating a don't ask, don't tell policy on that one.

8IHwqNg.jpg?1

One thing I was really quite disappointed with on this kit is the canopy. Not only were the edges pretty badly moulded (a couple of bulbous protrusions in the corners - I hope this is just mine) but the large seam along the top of the canopy really seems unnecessary in this day and age.

kUyZTuG.jpg?1

Still, despite that... and the grand canyon panel lines... and the awkward LERX fit... and the countless other minor annoyances I came across... I still really like this kit. It looks spot on, and best of all, it's a Harrier. I remember building the old Airfix Harrier GR.7 as a little'un, and instantly falling in love with how it looked. I got the same feeling with this kit.

Now the all-important decision on how to arm the bugger. I was contemplating just sticking the BOL rails on with the CRV7 pods, but I do like the idea of sticking the PW's on it, too. Would this be accurate for the depicting an Afghan cab in '06? And would CRV7 pods & PW's be carried at the same time? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Daryl

• Like 5

Really nice result Daryl! After looking at your Harrier I have to start mine right...NOW! For your payload-question, you can follow the Airfixinstuctions. They are spot on, but how's about an assymetrical load like here:http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-uks-gr9-harriers-to-add-capability-e-04601/ or here:http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/archive/herricksharriers.html

Or a combination with the ever useful Maverick and PW II ?

Decisions, decisons....

• 1 month later...