Need some help chaps, when was 1st 1/32 P-51 Mustang produced etc

CCC

:please: HELP

Trying to do a timeline of all the companies that have produced a 1/32 P-51 over the years.

Am I right in guessing that is what either Monogram or Hasagawa? But what year? In fact what are the years that every 1/32 P-51 regardless of model type, have been produced?

Any ideas when re-issues were released?

Help would be very much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Edited by CCC

I think Revell were the earliest in 1/32. Their Mustang was definitely issued in the sixties or early seventies. I know because I remember vividly entering a newspaper competition where the prize was a Revell 1/32 kit. The paper had a photo of the box art of the Mustang in British markings. I cut out the picture and glued it onto the inside lid of my Helix geometry set. Every day in school I would stare at it dreaming! (This was of course before the girl thing ruined my life!)

Then one day the postman arrived with a parcel. I had won a kit! Thrilled, I ripped it open to find..............a 1/32 Bf109G. Not bad but not a Mustang. I have mourned since!

That would have been the Malcolm hood version. Wouldn't the D model have been first out even earlier.

• Like 1

I bought mine at a model shop in Nee Soon, Singapore, in 1965. I remember that it was by Monogram and had see-through fuselage and brightly coloured internal framing!

Mike

I agree on the Phantom Mustang being the first. I remember it well as the one thing I most wanted that Christmas - and it was everything I hoped it would be.

I also remember not having petrolium jelly to grease the gears - and using Vicks Vaporub instead! That model smelled like a bad head cold well into the spring...

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 1

Monogram definitely first, both as Phantom and "solid" D, Hase D probably second around 1969 or so (was that one ever reboxed by Fog ? same year has been quoted for the Revell B), Revell D as racer versions released 1973 or 4. Academy is basically a clone of Hasegawa, released 1986 or 7.

Strangely enough, I got the self same kit as mentioned by Bootneck in the same year and also in Singapore; only I got mine from a small shop in Jalan Kayu just outside of what was then RAF Seletar.

Don't remember what happened to it though.