Otaki 1/48 Spitfire VIII

Val

Well, here is another one off the bench.

I totally went to town on the weathering. Flory wash followed by oil paint streaking, Tamiya smoke post-shading, and lots of pigments to give a dusty, muddy finish to the model. Oh, and loads of chipping using vallejo liquid mask and a sponge. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I've not based this on any reference shots, I just went to town on her. Am I happy with her? Hmm.. yeah I am on the whole. I went too far (I've never seen a spit chipped like that!), but had great fun in the process!

A word about the kit: For it's age, it is absolutely brilliant! The fit is superb. Only filler was used on the underside where the kit was warped and I couldn't quite get it back. The recessed panel line detail is soooo fine I didn't even rescribe some panel lines as I though all the detail would vanish under some paint (how wrong I was...). Best panel line detail I've had on a model so far. It's age comes apparent in some places; there's no cockpit detail, the canopy is so thick you can't see through it anyway, and there are no grill vents in the radiators etc. I believe there are a few inaccuracies as well.

But for the age, and price I got it, it is brilliant, and I'd happily do another. I think Airfix reboxed it as well?

Enough already, I hear you cry, so here are the pics:

DSCF6479_zps9ef25810.jpg

DSCF6480_zps7b9cac15.jpg

DSCF6481_zps7a223741.jpg

DSCF6482_zps60c82ddf.jpg

DSCF6483_zps1187c949.jpg

DSCF6484_zps90d474a3.jpg

DSCF6485_zps4806f847.jpg

DSCF6486_zps3a2db780.jpg

DSCF6487_zps26427a6f.jpg

Thank you for looking. As always, feedback is more than welcome, I'm here to learn. I probably won't correct anything on this model, but will look out for the next attempt smile.gif

Val

• Like 14

Well, here is another one off the bench.

I totally went to town on the weathering. Flory wash followed by oil paint streaking, Tamiya smoke post-shading, and lots of pigments to give a dusty, muddy finish to the model. Oh, and loads of chipping using vallejo liquid mask and a sponge. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I've not based this on any reference shots, I just went to town on her. Am I happy with her? Hmm.. yeah I am on the whole. I went too far (I've never seen a spit chipped like that!), but had great fun in the process!

A word about the kit: For it's age, it is absolutely brilliant! The fit is superb. Only filler was used on the underside where the kit was warped and I couldn't quite get it back. The recessed panel line detail is soooo fine I didn't even rescribe some panel lines as I though all the detail would vanish under some paint (how wrong I was...). Best panel line detail I've had on a model so far. It's age comes apparent in some places; there's no cockpit detail, the canopy is so thick you can't see through it anyway, and there are no grill vents in the radiators etc. I believe there are a few inaccuracies as well.

But for the age, and price I got it, it is brilliant, and I'd happily do another. I think Airfix reboxed it as well?

Enough already, I hear you cry, so here are the pics:

Thank you for looking. As always, feedback is more than welcome, I'm here to learn. I probably won't correct anything on this model, but will look out for the next attempt smile.gif

Val

Kit was originally by Otaki, then reboxed by Arri, then Matchbox, then Airfix.

Still available cheap from Plaza Japan I think.

http://www.plazajapan.com/products/Arii-200827-Super-Marine-SPITFIRE-Mk.8-1%7B47%7D48-scale-kit-%28Microace%29.html

The biggest problem with the kit is lack of gull wing, Aeroclub did a replacement once, and that it's most like a IXc in type, and has fabric ailerons [only suitable for a mk I or II really]

Bear in mind the kit originates from the early 70's!

I got one a while back and was quite stunned at how petite the panel lines are, and overall how good it is. I've not checked really carefully the shape, but I've never seen it complained about in the way the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits are, and that Aeroclub made a gull wing insert means it's probably worth the bother ;)

Neat work, over chipped as you say but looks like you had fun!

cheers

T

• Like 1

Thanks all :)

Proper dirty bird!

Oh look, I've become an airliner-727 posts

Strangely enough, I've just dug out my 727 for the next build!!

Kit was originally by Otaki, then reboxed by Arri, then Matchbox, then Airfix.

Still available cheap from Plaza Japan I think.

http://www.plazajapan.com/products/Arii-200827-Super-Marine-SPITFIRE-Mk.8-1%7B47%7D48-scale-kit-%28Microace%29.html

The biggest problem with the kit is lack of gull wing, Aeroclub did a replacement once, and that it's most like a IXc in type, and has fabric ailerons [only suitable for a mk I or II really]

Bear in mind the kit originates from the early 70's!

I got one a while back and was quite stunned at how petite the panel lines are, and overall how good it is. I've not checked really carefully the shape, but I've never seen it complained about in the way the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits are, and that Aeroclub made a gull wing insert means it's probably worth the bother ;)

Neat work, over chipped as you say but looks like you had fun!

cheers

T

Yeah, it's a great kit all things considered! I'd definitely build another, they seem to have quite a few at King Kits for a reasonable price, and I have a Barracuda decal sheet left! Yeah, I went to town on the weathering, but it was fun! Thanks for that, good to know some spitfire info :thumbsup2: Can't believe it's a 70's kit, when comparing the panel lines to the 1/72 Airfix Mk I spit I have (not a dig at Airfix btw, I like their new stuff a lot)!

Impressive Spit, not least considering the age of the kit! Very convincing weathering (though powder marks look a bit overstated to my eyes).

The main gear looks uncharacteristically splayed (last photo) – more akin to a Bf 109 than a typical Spit stance. ;-)

The mainwheels would normally be more or less perpendicular to the ground, as seen from the front; if anything, have a slight negative camber.

Otherwise, a beautifully handled build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Impressive Spit, not least considering the age of the kit! Very convincing weathering (though powder marks look a bit overstated to my eyes).

The main gear looks uncharacteristically splayed (last photo) – more akin to a Bf 109 than a typical Spit stance. ;-)

The mainwheels would normally be more or less perpendicular to the ground, as seen from the front; if anything, have a slight negative camber.

Otherwise, a beautifully handled build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, yeah the powder marks are over the top; my airbrush wasn't behaving and I probably should have cleaned it out. But didn't..! And you're quite right about the main gear. I didn't really notice until I had uploaded the pics. Stands out like a sore thumb now!! Oh well, live and learn :)

Thanks all :)

It does looking like a spitfire. I lt is a bit to dirty for me but its a matter of taste.I like your chipping techniques I have to try it someday

Cheers

Yeah, the chipping technique is dead easy, but I would say it's really easy to go over the top! There doesn't seem to be much liquid mask on the model, but when you start taking off the paint.... Believe it or not, this is attempt two on the chipping, as attempt one was heavier than this!! Good fun though.

• Like 1

This is fantastic Val, you really made something to be proud of. The weathering is what brings this all together and it may be easy to do too much but I believe in service we would have seen worse examples than your portrayal returning from combat missions.

Good job buddy!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

This is fantastic Val, you really made something to be proud of. The weathering is what brings this all together and it may be easy to do too much but I believe in service we would have seen worse examples than your portrayal returning from combat missions.

Good job buddy!

Thanks! Apparently this airframe was very heavily weathered with lots of soot stains. I could only find one picture of her though, and that was an unclear black and white pic, so I let my imagination run away with me. I decided she's probably be in humid, hostile weather conditions, and on muddy airfields with quick turn around times; lots of ground crew climbing all over her to get her back in the skies. I've never seen a spitfire chipped to that extent, and it's probably over weathered, but I do agree weathering can bring models to life. And in my case, it hides all my mistake building! I'm doing a much cleaner Seafire next... should be a challenge for my skills and temperament!

• Like 1

Does it for me, nice one. On the subject of Aeroclub Spit bits (or any other Aero C bits) can they still be had & if so from where, I've been out of hobby for a few years & am just getting back into it & so far have not been able to locate a source.

• Like 1

Does it for me, nice one. On the subject of Aeroclub Spit bits (or any other Aero C bits) can they still be had & if so from where, I've been out of hobby for a few years & am just getting back into it & so far have not been able to locate a source.

John Adams is a member here are John Aero, and even has a section.

He's busy, so try a PM, if no response, try again in a week. But, if he can help he will, so be patient, he'll be busy at the mo with Telford at the weekend.

Also, on the subject of Spitfire weathering, I ran across this looking for images of red spinners for another thread, but this is a desert Spitfire, well worn in a harsh environment

Canadian Spitfire V's of 417 Sqn. in loose formation over the Tunisian Desert in April 1943.

14780326836_be4424d2a4_c.jpg

The more you look, the more you see, the faded or mismatched upper wing roundel, fresh dark earth on fuselage, and looks like used for gun patches, fresh middlestone behind the 'N', compare with the faded paint, oil leaking at rear of engine, worn paint on front of wing, where a mechanic would be for engine work, also paint chipping on cowling, shape and colour of exhaust stain.

Worn, but cared for.

Here's a PR XI, in Italy.Pomigliano airfield on March 7, 1944.

6017346038_94d18963b4_b.jpg

Note the faded and worn paint, the only real wear being the wing root walkway. the overall PRU blue is useful as it shows weathering patterns with out camouflage camouflaging them.

Also of note is how subtle panel lines are, a lot of models are over pre and post shaded, and I think often other models are used for reference.

From Etienne Du Plessis flickr, of RAF/FAA colour photos

Spitfires here https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

Lots more reference to look at.

cheers

T

• Like 2

He's busy, so try a PM, if no response, try again in a week. But, if he can help he will, so be patient, he'll be busy at the mo with Telford at the weekend.

Also, on the subject of Spitfire weathering, I ran across this looking for images of red spinners for another thread, but this is a desert Spitfire, well worn in a harsh environment

14780326836_be4424d2a4_c.jpg

The more you look, the more you see, the faded or mismatched upper wing roundel, fresh dark earth on fuselage, and looks like used for gun patches, fresh middlestone behind the 'N', compare with the faded paint, oil leaking at rear of engine, worn paint on front of wing, where a mechanic would be for engine work, also paint chipping on cowling, shape and colour of exhaust stain.

Worn, but cared for.

Here's a PR XI, in Italy.Pomigliano airfield on March 7, 1944.

6017346038_94d18963b4_b.jpg

Note the faded and worn paint, the only real wear being the wing root walkway. the overall PRU blue is useful as it shows weathering patterns with out camouflage camouflaging them.

Also of note is how subtle panel lines are, a lot of models are over pre and post shaded, and I think often other models are used for reference.

From Etienne Du Plessis flickr, of RAF/FAA colour photos

Spitfires here https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

Lots more reference to look at.

cheers

T

Hi, thanks for those reference shots, they are really good. I do totally agree that a lot of modellers use other models for reference; I know I do that myself. Yes, you are right about the panels lines on models, they are often over emphasised. It's a tough one balancing reality with art I guess. The kit can make a huge difference as well, I feel the panel lines on this model, on the upper surface at least, are fairly restrained. But they had a dark wash, the panel lines are so wonderfully refined that it was easy to hold them back. The Airfix Seafire I'm doing isn't preshaded and has only a hint of post shading, but the panel lines are going to be much more obvious as they are deeper and wider (not knocking the kit, it's brilliant). I can see both sides of the panel lines debate, I personally like to see them highlighted as I feel it brings a bit more interest to the model, but understand why people chose not to. I guess that's why this hobby is so much fun, there are so many different ways to do it!

Val

Hi, thanks for those reference shots, they are really good. I do totally agree that a lot of modellers use other models for reference; I know I do that myself. Yes, you are right about the panels lines on models, they are often over emphasised. It's a tough one balancing reality with art I guess. The kit can make a huge difference as well, I feel the panel lines on this model, on the upper surface at least, are fairly restrained. But they had a dark wash, the panel lines are so wonderfully refined that it was easy to hold them back. The Airfix Seafire I'm doing isn't preshaded and has only a hint of post shading, but the panel lines are going to be much more obvious as they are deeper and wider (not knocking the kit, it's brilliant). I can see both sides of the panel lines debate, I personally like to see them highlighted as I feel it brings a bit more interest to the model, but understand why people chose not to. I guess that's why this hobby is so much fun, there are so many different ways to do it!

Val

thanks Troy, good news indeed.

Thanks Troy, good to know