Ski set for Polikarpov I-16

JackG

I have a 1/72 Hasegawa I-16 Type 18, and plan to build it with ski undercarriage and in Finnish markings. Which is the more accurate aftermarket set, Quickboost or Kora?

QB72113.jpgQuickboost

KORCS7222.jpgKORA

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Chris, P.k., and Rob - thanks guys.

I am leaning towards the cheaper Quickboost as I've already the required decals. Though the attachment points seem rather simplified, neither actually are like in the photos, so some scratch building could be in order.

f08.jpg

regards,

Jack

As for accuracy, the Finns did not operate the Type 18. VH-101 / VH-21 was a type 27 reconfigured by the Finns to be similar to the Type 24.

The other operational I-16 was a Type 6, IR-101. It had skis of a dfferent configuration.

So if accuracy is of concern, ditch the Type 18 kit and just do skis.

poli-101011_zpsa1f0b2cf.jpg

Here is VH-201 renumbered as VH-21 after application of Warpaint.

poli-21012_zps491ab7c0.jpg

Edited by Steven Eisenman
  • Like 1

Steve E, thanks!

That is interesting, so this means both Kora and Hasegawa have committed false advertising (either knowingly or unknowingly).

Thought the project still salvageable, but according to this site http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Kit_Comparison/index.php there is a difference in the cowl details between the Type 18 and 27.

So back to the stash the I-16 goes and... 15102326494_e9b65acd18_o.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

if I had to hazard a guess I would say that VH-201 is a Type 10 and VH-21 is a type 17

but, I-16 types in Finnish service is not my field of expertise

Types 18,24 and 27 have starboard access doors to the cockpit and a radio hatch in the aft fuselage

Don't need to hazard a guess, the infomation came from "Venäläiset hävittäjät" (Russian Fighters) by Keskinen and Stenman, 2004. There were some old references to VH-201/21 as being a Type 18. But, I'd say the reference is abouit as good as it gets for the subject

Below are links to articles on the various I-16 types. Given it is 1/72, looks like it "might look like a 24" ;-) Actually, given that it started life as a 27, it was quite close to the 18 fuselage. The referernce does not explain fully how it was "24-ized". Clearly the spinner cap was not used. I'd say go for it.

Note that in the picture I posted of VH-21 in Warpaint, it does not have the fuselage access hatch nor the cockpit door on the right side of the 24. It is more 18 than 24.

From the link below:

"The very last examples of the Type 27 made use of the remaining components of Type 18 manufacture (which was being replaced by the Type 24), apparently including in some cases the entire fuselage assembly. Thus, one will occasionally see a photo of a Type 27 sporting underwing rockets, and other such later features."

type27_zps8aee4c6c.jpg

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Kit_Comparison/

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Kit_Comparison/description.php#type24

The skis were Russian, hewre is IR-101 when captured. A similar "style" was used on the Gladiators, including the Swedish Gladiators. Could have been of Swedish design.

poli-101captured013_zps2e8380e5.jpg

Edited by Steven Eisenman