ISS under observation?

jetboy

Space debris, most likely, catching the sun as it rotates in space. :shrug: Sean, your posts are becoming increasingly derisive & disdainful - please reign them in. A wise man once said "be nice or go home!".

• Like 6

Put it this way, if I were a highly developed society (ie: one with FTL), I reckon I'd be keeping an eye on up-and coming species in the vicinity.....My problem with this is the 'State of The Art' conundrum, or how and why are we able to perceive them?

Imagine if we turned modern surveillance technology on a nation with technology equivalent to 10th century europe.....How much idea would they have about it? They might just see the sattellites reflecting the sun or catch a glimpse of a high altitude contrail, but what meaning would it have for them if they did?

If an advanced society wanted to study us covertly, we should have absolutely no idea about it whatsoever....Which, if these objects are of ET origin, implies a desire to communicate, thus begging the question why not just land at the White House, Red Square, Dome of The Rock, whatever? :shrug:

Possibly these objects are much lower tech, close to our own and we are dealing with occupants of a STL generation ship.....That would be bad news, because generation ships only go one way, they set up home on arrival, so whoever they are they are here to stay.

Another alternative is the remnants of an ancient civilisation native to this system.....Ancient texts do provide a considerable amount of support for this thesis.

Just out of interest.....Can any of you make out anything unusual in this image:

pi.gif

NASA Image of Mars Surface - I can provide links if required.

Of course there is always one more option.....They could be ours. :ninja:

The white smear in the bottom left had corner looks interesting.

The State of the Art analogy is very good and the whole question of Where Are They? is quite fascinating as The Fermi Paradox shows.

Thinking logically for a moment;

In many cases technological advances show as increased capacity for a given size, modern communication satellites have thousands of times the capacity of early ones.

Once a level of capability has been reached that is adequate for the task advances show as a reduction in size. So your mobile phone gets smaller.

As a species we are very familiar with these as that is where we are. The next stage is for these miniature devices to increase in capability and then the cycle repeats. An advanced society will have been through these cycles many times so a sensor capable of recording the actions of an individual could be no larger than a spec of dust and be semi-sentient with others the size of a pebble, and that is just what WE think we could do in the near future.

My argument about whether we could detect such a species comes down to 'Not if they don't want to be seen'.

A final thought...a group of explorers from now land in 10th Century Europe. They communicate with ear buds and throat mikes via radio. None of this can be seen. THAT would be more amazing to the natives than a tool they could see and, by analogy, come to comprehend, 'This device is like an endless sheet of paper that can make the pages very tiny for storage, the pen never runs out of ink because it uses virtually none'.

• Like 1

I agree completely SS. :coolio:

Interesting that nobody seems to have picked up 'the anomaly' in the picture yet.....I had 'it' pointed out to me and as that cat says:

87899101.jpg

A small hint.....Closest to Akhenaten, broken in the German capital. :wicked:

Try not to focus on it, allow your eyes to relax and don't look for anything 'in' the image.....View it as a whole.

The resolution of the image is satisfactory to perceive (or not) the anomaly unadjusted.

My cryptic clue will give you a precise definition of what you seek.

I don't think there's a problem discussing it here so long as everything remains respectful and apolitical.....I'm sure that even the most hardened sceptic would concede that there have been a number of aerial/orbital phenomena over the years that are hard to explain by conventional means. :shrug:

As for my Mars image.....That's a purely personal experiment and based on the responses so far, I don't really beleive there is actually anything there at all (despite being able to see it clearly).....But if I point this non-existent thing out to you, I suspect that like the cat (and me), you will subsequently be unable to 'unsee' it. :confused:

It's Laika, the first dog in space!

Lo_M.jpg

Nice to see she made it to Mars...

This is the closest by far.....Very. very close indeed (but you adjusted the contrast to do it)! :nono:

I kind of suspect Gordon already knows what he's looking at, doesn't he? :wicked:

Are we supposed to be looking for the "stepped pyramid" outline? Because that's part of Laika's Soviet-era fur hat. It's cold on Mars.

Don't underestimate the power of the human visual system to find and latch on to patterns in noise :)

W

• Like 1