Saab 91C Safir, Tarangus 1/48

This year, Tarangus released their fourth kit, the Saab Safir, and for the first time we could build a model of this classic Swedish trainer in 1/48. I built mine as a four-seater from F 11 wing, about 1977. Maestro Models' forthcoming decals for those camouflaged Safirs are not released yet, so I had to find decals in my spare decals box.

15518283528_a56b4ba114_c.jpg

The model is small, but sometimes a bit tricky to build. The main problem is the canopy. The fit is pretty bad, and lots of sanding and mofdifications were necessary. The other problems are mostly due to poor instructions that leaves you with a few un-answered questions, especially the correct position of the nose gear wheel well (that first should be mounted to the cockpit part) and the engine (that first should be mounted to one of the body halves, the problem is to find an exact fit with the nose part). The fit of the wing is also a little difficult.

15518877200_774acb6ba7_c.jpg

But apart from this, this is a great little kit. The overall shapes are very good, the fit, except for what I have already mentioned, is good and the cockpit has lots of nice details. The panel lines are fine and crisp and decals (although I did not use them) are well printed. Don't forget to put lots of nose weight, otherwise this is a true tail sitter!

15083762734_8ef77f8269_c.jpg

15703734835_9e9e8b044e_c.jpg

I replaced the position lights with clear ones, added new pitot tubes and seatbelts, the rest is OOB.

15703824725_b22b91aabc_c.jpg

15518355478_1010e90525_c.jpg

I used Gunze colours, and the day-glow panels were painted too. I considered using decals, but decided to paint them.

15703764935_ca596eddb6_c.jpg

A nice little kit that represents a classic Swedish aircraft. The factory designation was "Saab 91". "Saab 92" was a car... :-)

15705435012_aeb4048ffc_c.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks for the impressions and threats I have one in the stash to make Finnish box decals.

Waiting for someone to do PE parts for cockpit and some details Finland Verizon.

Nice build and Markings option...Maybe in time I do another Swedish

by Pk

Thumbs up! And both big toes as well…

An ace build.

An aside: the SAAB Safir was designed by the same Swedish aero engineer, Anders Johan Andersson, who had earlier designed the Bücker Bü 131 Jungmann, its aerobatics derivate Bü 133 Jungmeister and the Bü 181 Bestmann, having been bought over from SAAB by his friend Carl Clemens Bücker.

In 1944, with the writing on the wall for the Reich, Andersson returned to Sweden from wartorn Germany and was again hired by SAAB, where his Safir not surprisingly had quite a bit in common with the Bü Bestmann.

Beautiful work with the 1:48th version!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thumbs up! And both big toes as well…

An ace build.

An aside: the SAAB Safir was designed by the same Swedish aero engineer, Anders Johan Andersson, who had earlier designed the Bücker Bü 131 Jungmann, its aerobatics derivate Bü 133 Jungmeister and the Bü 181 Bestmann, having been bought over from SAAB by his friend Carl Clemens Bücker.

In 1944, with the writing on the wall for the Reich, Andersson returned to Sweden from wartorn Germany and was again hired by SAAB, where his Safir not surprisingly had quite a bit in common with the Bü Bestmann.

Beautiful work with the 1:48th version!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for that info, it explains also the similar looking tailplane.

• 6 years later...