Academy Hawker Hunter 1:48 plus extras

Caerbannog

Great to see more progress on this one Rene. Alas your Hunter had the later style double row underwing serials. F.1 & 2 certainly had single rows but the 4 & 5 had provision for inner wing pylons and this was the reason for the shift to the double row presentation :(

OK - s*** happens. I though it was something that was connected with the "no-dog-tooth" wing and or the High Speed Silver paint. I only read that the single line was on earlier Hunters - no mark or reason was given. I should have noticed - the holes for the inner pylons are quite prominent and your explanation is very comprehensible.

The trouble with shoddy research and not asking here before drawing conclusions ;-)

Rene

The underwing serials issue bothers me and I searched my spare decals for replacments but failed. So I will proceed as if nothing happened and finish the Hunter with the wrong single line underwing serial. Meanwhile I place a "Want" topic for these decals in the Buy and Sell section. Should I get the spare serials I will correct them in the future.

I did some detail painting and attached some more smaller bits - nothing major and added the semi gloss coat on top. I heared that the Alclad clear coats are very good here on the forum and can absolutely confirm this. It sprays perfectly from the bottle and dries very quickly. Excellent stuff:

p99h_zps7pfe8q4a.jpg

I guess this will be my last post here as all that is missing are a few u/c covers, wingtip lights and the canopy of course and I doubt there will be something interesting to show (or better: I hope so). So the next post will be in the GB Gallery I hope.

Thanks for watching and the good tips!

Rene

• Like 1

OK - there are some points which allow another update here.

First the canopy: The kit part is the wrong shape (as far as I can see) and also does not represent a sliding canopy and so I replaced it with an Aeroclub vacuformed canopy:

p23h_zpsbhweve0y.jpg

As I mistakenly cut the lower windscreen to follow the shape of the rounded fuselage section I had to deal with a gap now. I cut a clear plastic sheet to shape and glued it in with Testors canopy glue. after this was dry I reinforced the joint with super glue. Then painted the clear part black, and added some putty. Sanding and green still to follow:

p24h_zpsnpiab2xw.jpg

As you can see above Academy did not replicate the sliding rails for the canopy - and I did not either. My initial plan was to show the canopy open which would have hidden the non present rails a bit. But somehow I liked the way the Aeroclub canopy overlaps the fuselage so I changed my mind and kept it close. Maybe I will add some black strips of decal to mimick the rails.

I used Montex masks for the canopy to get the basic shapes right. Basic shapes as the Montex masks are for the Academy canopy part which is a different shape (more narrow windscreen and over all smaller). Still they were a big use and my usual masking method would have been impossible (Tamiya tape pushed inthe nooks around the canopy fromes and then cutting around these with a sharp blade).

Now I have three question and I hope someone can answer them (I am sure that this is the case):

1. Did the F.5 Hunters have the fairings on the upper wing which covers the jettison mechanism for the pylon below???

2. Would the F.5 have four underwing pylons or just the outer two ("provisions" mean it basically could carry pylons but was this the case???)

3. Would the drop tank (if this is the only under wing store) be on the inner or the outer pylons?

p25h_zpsx4houcu0.jpg

Rene

• Like 5

Rene just had a check of the Hunter F.4/F.5 development in SAM Publications book by Paul Bradley and I have included an extract from this below

In the F1 and 2 the wings were dry, but in order to increase range, eight small tanks were incorporated into the wing structure increasing the capacity from 337 t0 414 gallons. Each wing was also locally strengthened and plumbed to carry a pylon for an external 100-gallon fuel tank just outboard of the undercarriage. Trials were conducted for carrying bombs and unguided rockets, but these were not used by RAF service aircraft.

Courtesy of Paul Bradley, The Hawker Hunter, A Comprehensive Guide (SAM Publications 2009)

I have not been able to find any evidence of the ejector housing on the F.4 or F.5 illustrations, you will need further research to see if these were fitted. HTH

Cheers

• Like 1

Now I have three question and I hope someone can answer them (I am sure that this is the case):

1. Did the F.5 Hunters have the fairings on the upper wing which covers the jettison mechanism for the pylon below???

2. Would the F.5 have four underwing pylons or just the outer two ("provisions" mean it basically could carry pylons but was this the case???)

3. Would the drop tank (if this is the only under wing store) be on the inner or the outer pylons?

1. No.

2. Inner two only. Outer pylons were not fitted until the F.6 type.

3. 100 Gal tanks only on the inner pylons.

Hope that helps you Rene.

• Like 1

Thanks Nimrod for the efforts of looking up and writing this all down and thanks Col for the info - it is a big help. I checked some more pictures I rediscovered on my hard drive and already thought so - but still was not sure.

Thanks again,

Rene