Airfix TSR2

stevej60

Hi folks,I dug out the two ships mentioned in chat but just not in a "ship" frame of mind so languishing in it,s box where it

has been for two years was Airfix,s TSR2. with the early stages of it,s cockpit complete and all the major components off

the sprue,s time to try and get her built,I was fortunate to visit Cosford a few years ago while working in Tamworth and I

was in awe of the real thing still looking futuristic forty plus years after it,s last flight.SDC12305800x533_zps8ae69893.jpgSDC12306800x533_zpsf5a84641.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guy,s I will try and post a couple of shots of the real thing I took on the visit,she really is a large aircraft even in this scale.I have heard a few

horror stories about the fit of this kit but I have cemented the fuselage sides this morning with no drama and a dry fit of other components showed no

reason to worry(so far)!

Hi folks,here,s today,s progress: fuselage sides nicely joined up with no issues.the nose cone is a pretty good fit but sits proud of the fuselage slightly

so the first use of any filler in the build.the wing which now needs to slot in is not a great fit and will need a bit of "tweaking" to say the least!SDC12311800x533_zps9112e598.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks after much scraping and swearing I finally got the wing to fit! to be fair it may be me thinking my build sequence was better than Airfix,s.

so a quick shot of her present state.thanks for looking.SDC12313800x533_zpsd1da03a6.jpg

• Like 3

Last update till the weekend(why are there never enough days off work!) I am still waiting for that "throw it against the wall" moment I was expecting

with this kit but I have to say it,s no more stress full than some other kits of it,s era.so all major assemblies finished and also got the tinting on the

cockpit glazing as per the real thing.Thanks for looking in.SDC12317800x533_zps3e11939e.jpg

• Like 2

Morning folks,plodding on and still enjoying the build.She is on her u/c legs now a lovely fit with no issues,Airfix would have you fit the front wheel

well doors all open(there are four) but pictures show the longer set closed when the wheels are extended.sadly the kit parts are poor so I have

packed out the well glued the doors slightly recessed and filled the area flush ready for sanding,also I have closed up the bomb bay as well.Many thanks for looking in.

SDC12361800x533_zps3871f0e1.jpgSDC12360800x533_zps84d993d6.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi folks, on the last lap with this build now as she,s all primed ready for a coat of satin white and I will gloss the U/C legs etc and detail the area round

the rear which needs to be painted steel,just popped the wheels on for the photo and to check they are sitting right.SDC12380800x600_zpsbefe4168.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,here,s the latest update,the airframe has had a nice coat of satin white and the major decals are on,the panel lines on the kit cry out for a

wash as they are beautifully rendered but I am leaving her as she is apart from a little weathering on the wheels and U/C legs as these aircraft

never made it beyond the test phases.many thanks for looking.SDC12389800x600_zps068e9b50.jpg

• Like 8

Looks superb. I have a Aeroplane magazine special on the TSR-2, and the latter day phases of test flying showed the aircraft to be heavily weathered just before the programme was stopped. The fin is fairly clean, but the panel lines around the avionics access panel are heavily darkened, plus the area around the intakes and the auxiliary intake doors look well sooted up. The main gear doors look much cleaner than the surroundings as do the speed brakes. They are also an off white colour with the large main gear door looking pure white.

I think you could have a weathering field day.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

Looks superb. I have a Aeroplane magazine special on the TSR-2, and the latter day phases of test flying showed the aircraft to be heavily weathered just before the programme was stopped. The fin is fairly clean, but the panel lines around the avionics access panel are heavily darkened, plus the area around the intakes and the auxiliary intake doors look well sooted up. The main gear doors look much cleaner than the surroundings as do the speed brakes. They are also an off white colour with the large main gear door looking pure white.

I think you could have a weathering field day.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Tom,I,m itching to have a go but think it,s best to leave alone as it,s nearly done!

• Like 1

Thanks Tom,I,m itching to have a go but think it,s best to leave alone as it,s nearly done!

I've got one in the stash and I'm only going to do very light weathering as well, so I don't blame you.