question about the pointed, broad chord rudder on Merlin Spits

Spitfires Forever

Hello,

Another question about Spitfires. Did the Mk IXc ever use the pointed tipped, broader chord rudder? Or was it only on the Mk IX E, Mk VII, VIII and Mk XVI. I am assuming it is probably the latter, so I will have some modifying to do on the Mk IXc wings on my Hasegawa kit. I have plenty of ICM E wing panels to substitute for the wings, but I know it is not that easy a conversion, I have to cover up the expended ammo chutes on the bottom of the wings and scribe a few panels. Maybe I will just sell my Hasegawa's and buy a few Eduard kits.

Cheers

Edited by Spitfires Forever

The "Mk. XII" rudder was introduced in production from February 1944, so, after that date, anything is possible, since, although not strictly retrospective, a new type could be fitted during repairs and overhaul.

Thanks Edgar, I figure that is about as definitive as it gets. Short of your explaiation, the next step would be to find a picture of a Mk IXc with said rudder.

Cheers

I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do- find "proof" of a particular subject that you like. Some IXs kept the standard rudder quite late, so I guess it wasn't a priority to put on the larger one. (There may be some connection with wing stores, or something like that- never thought to look for it.)

bob

Some "modern" Merlin Spits have it fitted because it also raises the crosswind operating component

and offers a bit more authority/bite for ground handling.

IIRC the crosswind goes up from 9kts with the standard to 12kts with the big pointy.

More and more owner/operators these days though are going in for authenticity,

so it's rather rare to see one fitted to Mk I-V Spits.