Vulcan XA903 with Rolls Royce/SNECMA Olympus 593 (GWH 1/144)

Here's the first of the series of aircraft I associate with Filton Airfield, and the one that brings back the fondest memories of standing on the cycle track on the A38 at the eastern end of the runway with the roar of the engines and the smell of the jet fuel.

XA903's history has been recounted in detail elsewhere, and is well worth tracking down, sadly only the nose remains at 2AV8 near Stranraer.

This build is based on the Pit Road/GWH B2 kit and converted to a B1 (thanks to robvulcan of this manor for inspiration to attack the wings). I have not altered the intakes (intentional) or included the wing pitot tubes (forgot). The Olympus 593 was scratchbuilt, decals were a combination of kit, spares box and home made. Not a perfect build, but great fun and, overall, I'm happy with the result.

15701458585_ec5f8409e1_b.jpgXA903 Vulcan test bed for Rolls Royce Snecma 593 engine by jonbru0903, on Flickr

15516265117_076296b2b8_b.jpgXA903 Vulcan test bed for Rolls Royce Snecma 593 engine by jonbru0903, on Flickr

15517539388_c68f921565_b.jpgMore XA903 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

15517059729_f94ffba02b_b.jpgMore XA903 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

15702931685_61e53d7e21_b.jpgMore XA903 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

Edited by jonbru1
  • Like 22

Very nice. What's next XA894? :winkgrin:

Before or after the Low Pressure turbine disc failure?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to look at this again and again, it's beautiful really nice job.

I'd love to see you bring it along to a show and put it on the Bomber Command table with my 3 soon to be 5 white ones. The more the merrier would make a great photo to see them all together.

I was going to ask what you used for the white it's come out very nice and clean. Also how did you go about the decals for the 593

Engine.

I hope I'm not annoying you with all the questions

Cheers Rob :)

I keep coming back to look at this again and again, it's beautiful really nice job.

I'd love to see you bring it along to a show and put it on the Bomber Command table with my 3 soon to be 5 white ones. The more the merrier would make a great photo to see them all together.

I was going to ask what you used for the white it's come out very nice and clean. Also how did you go about the decals for the 593

Engine.

I hope I'm not annoying you with all the questions

Cheers Rob :)

No problem, Rob.

The white is Halfords primer,carefully rubbed down, then a satin varnish (Humbrol Acrylic). The decals were made using a combination of images and combining them in MS Word (No photo editing software!). I'll email you the image.

Jon

• Like 1

No problem, Rob.

The white is Halfords primer,carefully rubbed down, then a satin varnish (Humbrol Acrylic). The decals were made using a combination of images and combining them in MS Word (No photo editing software!). I'll email you the image.

Jon

Cheers Jon that's very kind of you and thanks for the info.

I will respond in the email ;)

Cheers Rob ;)