Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer - 1/144 Vacform

I finished this about a week ago and finally managed to take some pics of it.

The initial buld is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967754-scottish-aviation-twin-pioneer-1144-vacform/

The cheat line is decal paper painted with Tamiya X4 Acrylic Blue and given a layer of Microscale Liquid Decal Film. It was a pain to postion correctly as it is so small. The tail flashes, serial numbers and "engines" are homemade using inkjet decal paper but the roundels themselves are the orginals from Welsh Models - these decals are on a complete sheet and have to be cut out. The windows are Humbrol Clearfix. It has a cockpit but it can't really be seen through the Clearfix.

Painted in Citadel Mythril Silver and Halfords Appliance Gloss White.

Anyhow, enough waffle, here's the pics:

IMG_4827_zpseb582bfd.jpg

IMG_4826_zps216f450a.jpg

IMG_4829_zps0c1ff2c5.jpg

Here you can just make out the seats and the overhead instrument panel which has the seats (blue bits) and throttle levers (red bits) showing:

IMG_4850_zpsecc9e2bb.jpg

Engine decal - a hint someone posted previously on BM plus scratchbuilt brass tube exhaust (not sure if cutting and gluing a bit of brass tube can be called "Scratchbuilding").

I'm not sure what the inverted L bits on top of the cockpit are (Pitot tubes?) but they're scratchbuilt like the other roof antenna.

The props were murder to get even close to correct thinness and are extremely fragile.

Air intakes are drilled out and painted internally with Revell Anthacite.

IMG_4832_zps2e37c3a9.jpg

Rear door and scratchbuilt steps. The door can definitely be called scratchbuilt as I lost the orignal almost immediately after cutting it out. :angry: .

The black dots are rivets from Archer's Fine Transfer's as is the "plaque" at the top of the door.

The red handle is made from two very, very fragile bits of brass wire.

I also scratchbuilt some seats for the fuselage complete with seatbelts - it's a bit annoying that they can't be seen properly.

IMG_4848_zpsc29b0993.jpg

And with my usual paw pic for scale effect.

IMG_4833_zpsa1fb3c37.jpg

And joining my growing 1:144 fleet.

IMG_4853_zps2c72bc2e.jpg

Hope you like it!

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 10

Great stuff. Excellent to see a kit really worked on. Love the collection, I have become focussed on 1/144 scale, especially as it allows a large collection to be created in a relatively small space.

1/144 has become my favourite scale in the last three months or so! Lovely build Murdo and the minute scratching is truly impressive modelling! Fab! Fab! Fab!

And on a vac form too!

Cheers

Viv

Sod it! I'm going to ebay right now to buy me a vacform 1/144!

Bugger, inspiration at quarter to twelve.

Viv

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

I do like 1/144 scale and British N scale helps with a lot of what is required.

Viv, try any of the Revell 1/144 scale plastic kits, they are all wee beauties, especially the Tornado, Harrier GR7 and EF Typhoon.

If you really want to try a 1/144 vacform kit then I'd seriously recommend this Welsh Models Twin Pin. Don't expect detailed instructions in the kit (you're expected to know what you're doing) but if you want some help gimmee a shout.