Aircraft associated with Filton airfield from the 1960s

Typical. Unremarkable? Nothing to do with any design details and history then,all about the redevelopement money from selling it off.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by bzn20

Hi John. Anigrand produce a resin 188 in a package with a Valiant and FD-2 in 1/144. I intend to build this set as I remember Valiants attending the air displays in the early 60s and a passable 221 can be worked from the FD-2. Revell produced a 1/144 Hunter. Welsh Models produce a Gannet (as well as Argosy and Beverly) though the gnat is more problematic!

Amazing what you learn. Thanks

John

Royal Mail are using the Brabazon hangar as their Christmas pressure outhouse at the moment. I know that as I am going there about ten times a day shunting trailers. The only aircraft moving now is the Police Helicopter, but I still have to be Airport trained! Go figure....

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi, I’m a newbie here, so apologies if resurrecting old threads is not the done thing, but this grabbed my interest, as I was brought up next to Filton airfield from the late 50’s, 60’s up to the early 70’s. Both my parents worked at Bristol Siddeley/Rolls-Royce. Spent as much time as possible clinging to the fence at the end of the main runway, holidays and on my way to & from school. 

Jonbru1 - have you added to your already impressive line-up? You mentioned making a Valiant - are you aware of the Valiant FTB (WP199) they used for the Pegasus 3 & 5? 

The Pegasus was underslung in the bomb bay, much like the later Olympus and RB199 installations on XA903. 

Also fond memories of Chief Test Pilot Tom Frost’s antics in the development Harrier XV738, and Sea King, Scout, Jetstream (2nd or 3rd prototype) Gnat, G.91 engine development flying, the BS fleet of Doves and 125s, RR Heron,  BAC’s Heron, Beagle 206, President, DC-3, and more 125s, and the exotic mix of Sud-Aviation and SNECMA corporate aircraft, Potez 840, Nord 262, SEFRMA (?) Marquis (a Beech Baron with 2 Astazous!). Some real challenges there - in any scale! 

And regular visits from Belgian AF C-119s, DC-6, and Luftwaffe Noratlases. Happy school days : )

Brian

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 4:17 PM, jonbru1 said:

G-AXLR

Have you got a shot of the pod under the right wing around rib 8 or 10 please ? We made regular runs to it's final resting place at RAF Kemble from Brize to rob bits off it including the tailplane which ended up on another RAF VC10 C..MK 1 . That meant we always had a spare T/plane to service and then swop all those  through the fleet . The servicing included splitting it in half ,we used our own car scissor jacks for that. Worked like a charm !