Zvezda B747-8f Conversion

I started this conversion some time ago (before the Revell kit was announced and released) i spent a lot of time refinishing the fuselage as I kept stuffing it up.

Decalling is almost finished, still need to sort out the engines paint wise and add the gear.

The decals are from Hawkeye Models, sheet designed by Scott G on a request from me. The tail kangaroos are from their A380 sheet and fit quite well. They just need the tip of the tail trimmed once the decals are dry.

Quite happy with how this is turning out

ZvQF748f03_zps519960a3.jpg

ZvQF748f10_zps1b65f1db.jpg

ZvQF748f07_zps5e927b2c.jpg

ZvQF748f09_zps6a960532.jpg

ZvQF748f06_zps3b1b5a29.jpg

ZvQF748f19_zps3957b651.jpg

Just spent about 40 mins trying to lineup the nose cargo door decals Aarrrggghhhh!

ZvQF748f18_zpsc422c18e.jpg

Oh that will have to do....

ZvQF748f17_zps27a52b10.jpg

• Like 7

Now that's a fair dinkum conversion! And what's that interesting looking cargo aircraft with the large turbofans coyly hiding behind the curtains in the background?

Ahhh, a bit of an experiment of a failed Anigrand C-17 build plus a set of PWs? from a Minicraft 777 :D

That's nice Ray, very nice indeed. Big sucker too. Do you know if Scott will make these decals for retail?

I am sure Peter at Hawkeye will make them available, drop him a line. His email is on the order form on the website.

• 3 months later...
Pulling this off the 'Victorville Shelf' :D

I have been tinkering on this one between the B763F and an A300F refurb.

I now have the engine inlet rims painted to my satisfaction :D

Zv%20QF748f%2021_zpsp5nhh3md.jpg

The gear is installed and is waiting for some oleo painting and doors as well as all those wheels.

Zv%20QF748f%2022_zpsg1recljz.jpg

I might have to get another set of QANTAS Freight decals made up, I have damaged some of the lettering with masking. I am not sure I can do a good matching job with the red if I touch them up.

Zv%20QF748f%2020_zpspijue1gq.jpg

• Like 2

A beauty Ray. Those titles almost make up for the absence of a cheat line. I believe you can be justifiably happy with those engine rims.

Apart from missing the 'glamour and romance' of earlier airline liveries, these new, very large, liners coming out in the Euro White schemes do leave ( to me ) huge acres of unredeemed white plastic sitting in ones display cabinet, so one needs to get resourceful. I'd say you nailed it here.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. Great scheme. I was looking at my own Zvezda 747-8 last night I bought it because I love the new 747 so much but I can't decide on a scheme as there does not seem much choice. I may whiff it and do a Landor BA scheme.

Its a great kit though on mine the Fuselage sides are warped did you have any fit issues with yours.

Great job re-sculpting the top area. Freight 747s look amazing I still can't get over how massive they are.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys

Very nice indeed. Great scheme. I was looking at my own Zvezda 747-8 last night I bought it because I love the new 747 so much but I can't decide on a scheme as there does not seem much choice. I may whiff it and do a Landor BA scheme.

Its a great kit though on mine the Fuselage sides are warped did you have any fit issues with yours.

Great job re-sculpting the top area. Freight 747s look amazing I still can't get over how massive they are.

Rob,

I have 2 of these and I have had no warping issues with either. The fit of the kit is excellent. I have seen a couple of others built and they reported no problems either.

i obviously had to use some filler with the modifications to the hump but other than that the parts go together very well.

I have the 26 BA Cargo decals for another 747-8f build and they include all the window decals, I am tempted to build a What-If Pax BA 747-8 in current scheme.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys

Rob,

I have 2 of these and I have had no warping issues with either. The fit of the kit is excellent. I have seen a couple of others built and they reported no problems either.

i obviously had to use some filler with the modifications to the hump but other than that the parts go together very well.

I have the 26 BA Cargo decals for another 747-8f build and they include all the window decals, I am tempted to build a What-If Pax BA 747-8 in current scheme.

I thought I must have been unlucky as I know how top notch zvezda are. It's not a big problem I can make it. But good to know it's just mine.

Nice choice on the PAX scheme. I have also thought of doing mine in plain white delivery scheme which looks elegant.

I read tonight however that Lufthansa has painted one of theirs into the old Lufthansa scheme which is very tempting.

Nice to know even the real deal is getting retro schemes applied something I would love to see more of. Negus and landor are schemes I miss. Along with many more orion airways was a gorgeous scheme but I don't think they had 747s

It will be my first Airliner since my childhood I also have a 767 on the go from zvezda too.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Well smack my gob !

Those engines have turned out really well Ray and the rest of her isn't looking too bad either !

Hoping to see her in the RFI soon.

mike

I have my decal man working on some replacements at the moment and am attempting to paint all those wheels without botching them up.

Hope to have it finished soon

• 1 month later...

Had a great tour through Qantas Engineering at LAX last week. No freighters in sadly, but was allowed to pretty much run loose through an A380. Sitting in the captains' seat, my first impression was that there was very little to 'grab onto' and fly the beast - much more like a huge, very sophisticated, gaming console. Really is a lot more programming computers than wrestling with a joystick these days.

QF have five nonstops from LAX daily currently, an A380 each to SYD and MEL, and a 747 each to SYD, MEL, and BNE, so the ground was fairly littered with giant kangaroos. According to the engineer showing me around, the seats in first class ( more like self contained capsules really, with room to entertain a guest for dinner ) cost around A$60,000 each, have a similar amount of sophistication as a new car, and is the thing they dread most for something to go wrong with. Would rather tinker with any other part.

Done with painting wheels for a while I'd venture to guess. Looking very spiffy.

Mike ( a yarp apparently )

• Like 1

Luck lad Mike!

QANTAS currently lease their freighters for international work from Atlas Air. They were going to procure a B747-400f last year and have it adorned with the flying kangaroo but they decided against it as the freight market softened in SE Asia.

Domestically QANTAS has a B767 and a number of B737s running freight around the country.

looks great Ray! It's making me want to buy one for myself - but alas, no shelf space for such a huge beast. Still, I'm thinking the Cargo-Lux issue from Revell done in Qantas markings - or maybe a WHIF such as an Air NZ one ;)

• Like 1