Revell/Monogram Bf110G4

Thanks to the poor weather recently I've been able to spend a goodly amount of time in the model room! At this rate I could even think about doing my 1/32nd Dragon Bf110E Nachtjager, but we'll see. Anyway, more bits and pieces:

The cockpit internals are now completed so the fuselage can be closed up. I've yet to put the bordfunker's seat in position and one or two fragile bits will be added much later, like the pilot's roll-over brace:

DSCN6557_zpsf5261087.jpg

DSCN6559_zpsf174da7d.jpg
I've glued the nacelles together. When completely set the whole of the front end will be cut away just in front of the wing mating edge and the aft section glued in place on the wing. Then the new front section, shown below, will be attached. I know from dry fitting that filler will be needed but I'll try to keep this to a minimum:
DSCN6561_zpsa71d6ab5.jpg
The new front section. On the Revell/Monogram kit the position of the exhaust stubs is too high, so the CE correction set addresses this problem by supplying new exhaust stubs. I'll be cutting the existing ones off then fitting the CE ones, after first drilling out the aft ends of the exhausts which at the moment are just solid blank ends...not good!
DSCN6556_zpsa4b3780b.jpg
Tail assembly complete apart from the elevators. I'm afraid I over cut the hinge points when removing the kit elevators so I've had to "shim" with a few pieces of plasticard. The fit of the tailfin/rudder is very positive so there are few chances of not getting a good vertical pair of fins:
DSCN6560_zpscecaaad9.jpg
  • Like 2

"It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good" Max, nice to see you have got some benefit from your poor weather :D

Nice tidy bit of surgery on the tailplane (hinges notwithstanding), I have to admit I am glad to have avoided most of that sort of thing :)

Cheers,

Stew

The fuselage fit is very good, just a smidgeon of putty in a couple of places, once primer's added it should look pretty good:

DSCN6573_zps6b6ea252.jpg

DSCN6575_zps248afb7e.jpg
DSCN6576_zpsabf458d8.jpg
The next slightly daunting task is butchering the nacelles ready for mating with the CE upper wing inserts and the new front section:
DSCN6578_zps52d3c5ce.jpg
With the lower section cut about like this there is no structural strength so the aft end has split through somewhat rough handling! The interface edges need trimming to get smooth transition and the ragged forward lower edge will be cut back further to match the new insert after it's firmly glued in place, so masses of work still to do on this area!
DSCN6579_zpsc7a19bd1.jpg
DSCN6580_zps0f2c1ffb.jpg
Max
  • Like 1

I'm into the long and rather tedious phase of filling, sanding and shaping the nacelles. As can be seen there are some significant areas to be addressed at the front end both filling and getting the shape of the nacelles smooth. At the aft end I had to remove the flaps and do some work on them to get a better fit and on the inside of the fairing where it meets the flap. Ah well, it has to be done, press on regardless!

DSCN6585_zps5912aabf.jpg

DSCN6583_zps746f6066.jpg
Max
  • Like 2

Thank you Alistair. I was brought up on the "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" axiom, so that's what I aim the achieve as far as possible. I've also found that preparation is everything.....if you don't put in the groundwork the results won't be as good as they could be.

Talking of which, my tedious day has been worthwhile. All filling has been completed using Perfect Putty (fantastic stuff!), rubbed down then top-coated with Mr Surfacer 500 which was then rubbed down to a smooth finish. Tomorrow I hope to put all the elements of each wing together then prime ready for painting (at which time of course I'll find all the bits that need more filling!). Picture of today's work tomorrow.

Max

The completed CE corrected nacelles which, considering the surgery involved, have gone in without too much fuss!

DSCN6588_zps299c0d28.jpg

DSCN6591_zps32000ec6.jpg
DSCN6590_zps2a8c9d4f.jpg
I'll be adding the spinners (without blades) shortly but the modified exhausts and flame dampers (currently WIP) won't be fitted until the painting is finished.
Max
  • Like 1

Spinners and radiators on, test fit of undercarriage legs (which fought back last night when I was trying to assemble them!). I cut 2mm off each retractor arm to get the correct "sit" of the plane otherwise the angle of the main leg is too slanted.

DSCN6592_zps10892723.jpg

DSCN6593_zps29f10a18.jpg
The wheel wells and u/c legs will get a coat of RLM02 later today.
Max
  • Like 2

Thank you chaps for your encouraging comments. It's a great relief to get all that out of the way, there is actually very little left to do structurally now so hopefully next week I may be able to start painting.

The bit that's giving me grief right now is one of the flaps, it simply will not fit properly with the nacelle in place (the other one's fine though!) so I fear major butchery may be the only answer. I think that what I need to do won't be visible once the flap's fitted but solutions have exercised my mind considerably recently!

I indulged myself yesterday with a little painting and weathering of wheel wells, exhausts, undercarriage legs and wheels etc which was therapeutic!

Max

In what way is the flap not fitting? And a related question- does the "back of nacelle" fairing on the flaps actually leave a slight gap (i.e. run parallel to the end of the nacelle proper) when flaps are up? That's how the kits all seem to do it, but I'd have thought there'd be a slight overlap. I keep wondering whether I should "improve" this on my build, but if that's the way it should be then one less thing to worry over...

bob

Basically Bob, the bulge/faired area moulded on the flap doesn't "slide" into the open aft end of the underwing fairing. I've thinned the inside of this latter area as much as I dare to give clearance and cut/sanded the profile of the flap bulge. I've also thinned the aft edges of the wing internal which interfaces with the flap. I'm sure I'll get there with a little more work on each of these areas, it's just one of life's challenges!! :)

This is how tight it is on the real thing:

aftucdoorsdetail_zpsb336e8a0.jpg

I'll take some photos soon of the good and bad flaps to explain a little more I hope.

Max

Two views of the flap that fits well, though a little filling necessary along the wheel well fairing joint! This flap is just sitting, dry fitted so no glue, in position.

DSCN6595_zps798bb948.jpg

DSCN6596_zps464a6796.jpg
The problem flap with evidence of butchery. This one won't sit in position, it just springs out:
DSCN6597_zpsff6071d7.jpg
  • Like 1

Yes it is annoying Stew. I think what I may do is to open that short joint on the aft end of the fairing and insert a small fillet. That'll give more space for the flap bulge to slip into. Busy weekend so not much chance to get to the bench sadly, but I did get my two main colours yesterday, RLM75 and 76.

Max