Revell/Monogram Bf110G4

I must be slightly mad, or perhaps delusional is a better word, if I think that with a 1/32nd Harvard and Tiger Moth (the latter in a GB on LSP) on the go, that I'll get anywhere near finishing this kit! However the Bf110 is my favourite aircraft of all time, and this will be my fourth 1/48th scale model.

I'm using the Revell/Monogram kit, slightly quirky in the way in which the wings fit to the fuselage but in my opinion so much more enjoyable to build than the over-engineered Eduard offering:

DSCN6475_zpscbdf3713.jpg

I have quite a good reference collection, Brett Green's book will be my bible:

DSCN6485_zpsae463304.jpg
DSCN6489_zps3b355ea0.jpg
DSCN6488_zps323ea03b.jpg
DSCN6487_zps746677ab.jpg
DSCN6486_zps72c7d20d.jpg
I'm afflicted with an inability to build anything OOB, and this one will be no exception! The Verlinden set is very comprehensive but I'm not going to use all of it, simply the flaps, elevators, rudders and leading edge slats. I'm undecided about having the engine and forward machine guns/nose exposed, probably not on this occasion.
DSCN6482_zps5b516423.jpg
DSCN6481_zps7b90199b.jpg
I also have the Aires cockpit set, full of exquisite detail though Brett Green found some sections too large requiring much thinning and surgery, so we'll see about that little lot!
DSCN6484_zps9b953174.jpg
One of the criticisms of the Revell kit was that the spinners, nacelles and engine humps were the wrong profiles and the propeller blades the wrong shape. Cutting Edge produced a correction set for this, after much searching I finally located a set though major surgery is required on the upper wings to fit the engine humps:
DSCN6477_zpsba69cb7b.jpg
DSCN6483_zps2b2448d9.jpg
I'm also using brass turned items for the radar array, lovely detail and a more scale appearance.
DSCN6479_zps8cfd2517.jpg
And of course beautiful Brassin wheels.
DSCN6476_zps0fe1342b.jpg
The Cutting Edge correction set for the control surfaces is not as good in my opinion as the Verlinden stuff so I'll not be using these, I'm sure they'll be useful at some point on another Bf110.
DSCN6478_zpsd2c6c61f.jpg
It's just a matter of finding the time to do it all now!
Max
  • Like 3

Hi Max

I am building the same kit in Revell branding, going by the number of extra goodies you are fitting, it's comforting to know you have virtually a spare aircraft available if I make a complete c*ck of mine !

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

I've been undecided about which aircraft to model, but I think I'll probably do this one flown by Georg Greiner. It was either he or Heinz Schnaufer who shot down Lancaster ME453 of 467 squadron RAAF on the night of 3 March 1945, killing all the crew onboard including my name sake and my father's colleague Max Venton:

GeorgGreiner_zpsb1a048ee.jpg

This particular aircraft has the later Eberspacher exhausts which I may fit, I know Owl produced some but I haven't checked their availability.

Max

• Like 1

Very nice!! :thumbsup: A man after my own heart who likes to throw everything including the kitchen sink into a but to get it right!

I love all the gear you have selected, I had pondered about fitting a resin cockpit into mine (I just love resin), as made up PE boxes just don't cut it, but time is very critical for me if I want to finish in time!!

I have seen the Owl exhausts abut on line but the 1/48 version is really hard to find, though it looks like Hannants may still have two left...better hurry!

I'll be interested to see how you go about making up the mast for the FuG218, I've stolen mine for a Ho229B I have.

Will be watching this build with real interest :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: , may have to pick you brain on a couple of things as will if I can't find what I'm looking for.

I've ordered a set of the exhausts from Hannants, strike while the iron's hot! I'm still pondering which aircraft to do to be honest - I have already done this particular plane using the Eduard kit so I don't see a lot of point in repeating it just because the kit is different. I had the honour of meeting Lt Rolf Ebhardt a few years ago, along with Peter Spoden, both Nachtjager. Peter flew Ju88s, but Rolf was with NJG1 flying Bf110s, so I'm currently trying to establish some details of which ones he flew. If I'm successful, it'll be one of Rolf's.

Feel free to ask any questions.....no guarantees of answers though! :)

Max

Hello Bob (I haven't forgotten the Harvard scans!). Hmmm, not quite shake'n'bake, sometimes I wish I could do one such but I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it! :(

I've had an email from Theo Boiten today giving me an extract from Rolf Ebhardt's flugbuch, so my model will be G9+ES or DS, both of which he flew regularly. Time to go and make a start!

Max

Port wing major surgery; the "offending" hump on the wing has been removed and the resin insert cleaned up ready to be superglued into place, it fits beautifully. Also addressed are the areas for the leading edge slats and the flaps, starboard wing tomorrow.

DSCN6491_zpse1e2aaca.jpg

This is an extract from Lt Rolf Ebhardt's flugbuch showing four of his eight victories (abschuss). On two of them, both Halifaxes he was close enough to be able to read the squadron codes, duly noted in his flugbuch.

FlugbuchLtEbhardt8NJG1extractJulyampAugu

Max

A day of significant progress, though no pics as yet! The new engine humps are in place and looking good, just a little filler along a couple of seams. All the major surgery is completed for the flaps and leading edge slats. It occurred to me as I was whittling away that I had previously made a 110 with dropped flaps and another with the corrected engine humps but not one with both. My cause for concern was that where the hinged edge of the flap meets the wing upper surface there was about a millimetre strip of plastic holding the upper wing surface as one, the view in post 12 above illustrates a little. Careful planning required not to mention knife work!

I also spent a long time getting the Aires cockpit sides, floor and bulkheads to fit. Brett Green found them too large with some bits unusable but I found (I hope) that with a bit of imagination, sanding and carving it all can be shoehorned in. I've done several dry fits and it seems to be ok, just, but the proof of the pudding will be when it all comes together over the next couple of days. Hopefully some paint on the cockpit interior tomorrow. :)

Max

Pics from yesterday's work:

The wings are ready for assembly. The flaps were a little short so this was made up by the addition of plasticard:

DSCN6522_zpsa158e80c.jpg

Spot the difference, kits supplied items v Aires set:

DSCN6528_zpsdc031d0e.jpg
DSCN6523_zps7c280529.jpg
DSCN6524_zps8a19c0db.jpg
DSCN6525_zps5fd1d6e4.jpg
DSCN6526_zpsca701145.jpg
A dry fit of the floor, starboard sidewall and bordfunker equipment, tight but OK:
DSCN6531_zps9378a629.jpg
Max
  • Like 2

Thank you Alistair and Ettore, it's all coming along very well so far with only a couple of minor snags which are easily overcome.

The wings are pretty much complete as far as alterations are concerned:

The resin insert for the slats was superglued in place, just a little sanding to get a good fit:

DSCN6532_zpse7a39071.jpg

Then the upper and lower halves joined and the flaps added:

DSCN6537_zps994f89f4.jpg
I won't be securing the slats in place until most of the handling is complete to avoid damage.
DSCN6536_zps3885bf33.jpg
DSCN6535_zps71132261.jpg
I'm also working on the cockpit internals, hopefully finishing the painting this evening so closing the fuselage up shouldn't be too far away!
Max

I've been doing a little work with fitting the very tight Aires cockpit internals into the fuselage, all dry fitting (in fact thinking about it I probably don't need to glue it in place at all). The main problem area as I see it is the cross piece spanning the fuselage which is behind the pilot's roll-over brace and in front of the bordfunker's radio/radar display. I think it's too deep on the kit and possibly in slightly the wrong position, so I've cut it out and will replace a modified one once all the critical bits are firmly in situ. In the grand scheme of things this cross-member is pretty insignificant so a small piece of plastic card will suffice!

I'm planning to prime the wings tomorrow, I've cleaned up the prop blades and so they and the tyres will get a spray of German grey this evening. My Eberspacher exhausts have arrived but I am unlikely to use them on this model, no doubt they'll come in handy for yet another Bf110G4 some time.

Photographs of progress tomorrow.

Max

A precision fit if ever there was well, fantastic Aires!!

DSCN6544_zpsd20d4833.jpg

DSCN6543_zps49c114e7.jpg
DSCN6545_zps4f04cd67.jpg
DSCN6547_zps24bfa4e0.jpg
DSCN6549_zpse7ea0424.jpg
Just the instrument panel, pilot's and bordfunker's seats and schrage muzik cannons to fit then the fuselage can be zipped up.
Max
  • Like 2