Sicily 1941 again! But 1/48 this time

The sun also gave me a chance to show my radiator facings:

DSCN3574_zps4d757f51.jpg

I know the real things are probably some dull greyish aluminium, but I had this brassy mesh stuff from a fancy present wrapping (long since squirreled away in potential modelling stuff box) and I glued it on with some white glue. I don't mind the uneven appearance- I think it might actually look convincingly nice up there in the housing to all but the pen-light brigade, and I don't build for them anyway! I think it looks great, and will look even more right on the round faces of a P-40's radiators (which really ARE brass or bronze, or something along those lines).

Note: I said I don't mind the uneven appearance, but this being an experiment, it took me three iterations with the white glue to get them to this. Now I know how to do it (I think) so should get a better result the first time in the future!

Thanks to someone's PE version (Edit: it was Rich, and maybe not PE), and a photo in the 'in Action' book, I'll add a couple of thin diagonal supports.

bob

p.s. Note also the trace of skin-print on the corner of the flap!

Edited by gingerbob

Yep, I reckon they'll look great! It reminds me that I have to replace the vertical front radiator supports on my G4, though I must admit I'm not going to your lengths and fitting the two diagonal sections!

Max

Must agree with Max that you have done a nice clear explanationfor the nacella assembly for those that travel the path of the Eduard 110 in your foot steps. I have had to use a little putty on mine but next time ............nooooo there will be no next time .

I'm declaring victory, though there are some PTSD cases resulting.

Yesterday I fiddled with the uncooperative cowling again- having cut the back seam on the outboard half as related in post 50, I still had some mismatch down the center, and the inboard back seam was still a bit higher than it really should be. I tried to tell myself that it was a reasonable compromise and I'd better be happy with the improvement I'd achieved. But I couldn't convince myself! So, I separated the back join on that side too, which took a bit more work and made a bit more of a mess in the process, but again the nacelle to "hump" (back part of nacelle, molded on the wing part) alignment ended up being more fair.

I also thought this would allow me to push the nacelle over more easily, in order to get those cowling panel lines aligned, while also closing some of the gap I'd created by cutting away at the seam. But first of all it required a lot of pushing, to the point that I didn't trust liquid cement to make a strong enough joint. It was also awfully hard to push over while at the same time squeezing the two halves tight together, and getting them nicely fair- not to mention then ALSO running the cement down the seam. I threatened to take a "1:1 scale" C-clamp to it, using it as a bludgeon if I couldn't use it to actually clamp, but finally I decided to make a tactical retreat, regroup, replenish, and start another push after a night's rest.

So, this morning I set to, ready for another battle of attrition, but this time decided to see what would happen if I attacked right in the middle, rather than attempting fancy encirclement maneuvers. I chose to accept some misalignment of panel lines, though at the last minute still took steps to minimize this. To my surprise the line offered little resistance, and it was all over quite quickly. The former enemy even began to cooperate- when I ran some super glue inside the seam to both reinforce it and close the gap, the glue stayed where it was meant to, and didn't dribble out through the now larger gap in the "upper aft centerline".

I had to allow some to escape through the front end of the cowl, as you can see below, but I'm confident that this will be pretty easy to resolve. Compare to the photo in post 48- quite a contrast! Incidentally, what appears to be a slight bit of "ridge" along the centerline is mostly that little flare of "not quite flash" on the parts, so I'm confident- or at least hopeful- that it'll mostly disappear with a wee bit of sanding. Also, the damage to the cowl/hump edges was partially filled with a bit of cooperative super glue (a campaign medal for these irregular troops!) so I think I can put the slightly ragged appearance down to primitive maintenance conditions, and hopefully the black paint job will camouflage it, too.

DSCN3579_zps3bfcb35e.jpg

Gotta hand it to you Bob for sheer determination and tenacity, but the end result of your titanic struggle is well worth the effort because that's the neatest nacelle that I've seen of an Eduard Bf110 in 1/48th! Well done that man. :)

Max

• 5 weeks later...

Well chaps, another group build for which I have failed to produce a finished article. No regrets, though- I did more than I've done with anything else lately, and it did help to stoke the ol' mojo. I promise I won't abandon the build, but I admit I got rather caught up with the next group build subject (T-33 for the "Lesser Build Air Forces") and its spinoff, an XP-80 conversion. (Threads for both have been started, but I've been in a rather extensive data-gathering stage- chopping up of kits to commence imminently!)

Thank you to all who joined in, regardless of how your personal battle turned out.

bob