Sicily 1941 again! But 1/48 this time

I'm in (with trepidation): Eduard 1/48 E (Weekend edition) to be a D-1/U-1 (or so I understand) of I/NJG3. Currently working up the courage to tackle the cockpit. All those fiddly bits scare me more than the ill-fitting nacelles...

bob

• Like 1

Action report: (Sorry, no photos- well, one borrowed one, and I apologize for the wordiness. You'll find it to be a tendency of mine...) Well, I spent some time this morning playing with the fit of the nose pieces (top and bottom) to the fuselage (left and right). As most of you will probably already know, this (the top part) is regarded as perhaps the worst fit problem in the kit. Now, I'm not one for opening up things that should be closed if you're about to go flying, which would obviously side-step this problem, and I'm always curious about aspects that cause people trouble, so I figured I'd do some investigation.

Here's a typical example: (source: http://www.swannysmodels.com/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1294997148/126 )

IMG_2417.jpg

(The other famous "problem area" of this kit- less true for the G, as I understand) is the fit of the nacelles to the wings. I've played with that before, and have an idea, but I'll wait to see if it works before I talk about it, lest I lead you all astray.)

First of all, my kit (110 E weekend edition) comes with "D" (long tail) and "regular" fuselages. My subject is a long-tail, so I taped those fuselage halves together... and discovered that it has a strong desire to turn right! The back end- up to the hole where all the cockpit stuff goes- seems pretty normal, though there may be a slight "bow" on one half, at least. But when I moved up to the nose the bottom came together well enough, but then the panel lines/ edges on the top were definitely not lining up. That led me to the discovery of the nose wanting to head off to the right. The other fuselage may also have a very slight warp to the right, but it seems pretty straight. This may not end up being a problem once other stuff is in there, but I'd keep it in mind as you build things up, lest you get near the end (clear parts?) and suddenly discover something ain't what it ought to be! I was already suspicious of the cockpit, where they have you build it all up and then trap the whole darn thing between the fuselage halves, and now even more so.

OK, that word of warning out of the way, back to the nose.

After seeing the above image, I got to thinking: if the top part is too "short" and too "tall", maybe, rather than have to fill and sand that area, I could get a good fit on the top and then trim back the bottom to meet it, which would, in theory, reduce both problems. Or maybe it fits better than people think it does, and there's something else going on here...

As the above photo almost kinda shows, I discovered that these pieces have ridges and recesses designed to make them fit precisely. The most prominent is on the back edge of the lower-front piece, and I almost mistook it for flash initially, especially since there WAS a little bit of flash, making a ragged looking edge. There is also a short ridge on the top edge of the bottom piece, to help the top piece fit properly. Only problem is, after a fair amount of test-fitting, shaving, clenching jaw, etc, these ridges (or 'tabs') seem to cause more trouble than they solve, at least in the case of my kit. I haven't put it all under the magnifying desk lamp, I admit. I tried both nose-tops (for C/D and for E) and both fuselages, and it seems pretty consistent. It also appears that if I just take those ridges off and am careful with alignment, it's all going to fit very nicely!

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode...

bob

p.s. A couple of questions raised in the course of planning/researching:

1) In the photos I've collected from this unit during this time, I don't see the cord running down the port side of the fuselage to the dinghy stowage (which is the reason for the long tail on the D), except possibly in one photo. Could it be that this is not, in fact, present (maybe the dinghy has been left out also)? If it is absent, then I can use the straighter "normal" fuselage and just do a tail swap, thereby also eliminating most of the cord that I'd otherwise have to carve and sand away.

2) The earlier models of 110 had spinners with holes in the front. Does this actually serve some purpose, or is it perhaps a common part with the 109E? Doesn't affect the model, just wondering.

Edited by gingerbob

Something like this: (http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-110/NJG3.html)(see for more)

Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-1.NJG3-(

I like this Me 110 but then I like the all black Ju88`s based in Sicily too,....good choice. If you are not using kit decals don`t forget the owl on a moon insignia on the nose, copying the local Italian night fighter unit insignia.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I've got the Eagle Cals sheet. When I first got this kit I'd already spotted this photo and thought it was an interesting scheme- I like the white rump seeming to contradict the whole point of "all black". I was fortunate to find people who knew about the subject and, having been tipped off about the decals, I got a set ASAP! The owl badge makes it all the better, since my wife will appreciate the artwork (as do I).

Note: I believe that the decal sheet actually gives 'DH', so does anyone happen to have two 'C's of the right size and style?

And another question: what's the light-colored dot forward of the 'L'?

bob

Edited by gingerbob

I like the thought and research that you're putting into your build Bob. The white dot's position corresponds to the first aid stowage, a white circle with a red cross on it.

Max

Thanks Max. For once I'm not just doing thought and research- I've spent a couple hours this afternoon doing some subassemblies of cockpit bits. I'll tell you one thing, though- microscopic details (as separate parts) are NOT my preferred style of kit design. I actually found myself considering finding a resin cockpit in order to make life easier, which is (in my modelling experience) a bit of a reversal!

bob

Action report: Well, after a couple of days distraction, I got up dark and early this morning and thought I'd put that poppy-seed sized bit on the pilot's console that sits next to the flea sized bit. Taking care to control the piece as I removed it from the sprue, and pinching it carefully between two fingers, I prepared to remove the rough spot where it came off the sprue (all under the magnifying desk lamp). Relaxed for a moment to readjust its position, and it fell off my finger and through a wormhole, never even audibly hitting a surface. After a thorough search, I moved on to something else. Glued some more bits of cockpit together- so far I've done about as much as TrickyRich or Galgos would do in five minutes.

Later I found a likely looking bit of offcut and stuck it in place of the lamented Mr. Poppyseed. Unless someone has good eyesight AND has built this kit before, they'll never know the difference.

On to another thing I'd been meaning to do- prepping the wings. Warned about the wing to fuselage joint, I did some judicious carving there, some test fitting, and discovered that the lower surface had a distinct "flat spot" in the region of the tab that plugs into the fuselage. Looking at said tab from the root end, it had a slight banana shape. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be straight. So, I chopped away a fair amount of the tab and root flange (causing a couple minor cracks in the process, but I don't think they'll be a problem). A bit more adjusting required, but I SHALL PREVAIL! My kit has some warps- previously mentioned fuselage, wings (though these probably not enough to cause a lot of trouble)- and lots of tiny fringes of flash. Often not enough to instantly recognize as flash, but enough to screw up the intended precision fit of parts. Grumble. But hey, one reason I got this beast was because I'd heard how difficult it was to build in places! I did test fit the aileron (on one wing) and after removal of these fringes it looks like it'll fit very nicely- that's another thing I've seen mentioned.

Despite my whingeing, I am enjoying this build, and hope the hint of momentum will roll on.

bob

p.s. Those wing roots are thick, and I think when they cooled (?) they distorted a bit- looking from the front they seem a bit "cupped"- and I think this is the cause of some of the wing to fuselage trouble.

Edited by gingerbob

Hi Bob,

That sounds like a different beast altogether from its 1/72 counterpart :yikes: I have to say I am greatly relieved that they did the 1/48 version first and fixed all the problems before releasing the 1/72 version :lol:

However I understand the triumphant feeling of overcoming a recalcitrant kit and I believe that is what you will be experiencing so I wish you well with it and good hunting :D

Cheers,

Stew

All I did this morning was get the tape residue off of the starboard wing panels, a legacy from my earlier test-fit of one nacelle. Butter, the magic goo remover- thanks for teaching me that one, wife! Oh, and ream out two little holes in each nacelle that were somewhat flashed over.

Action report: After a day of distraction (daughter's 9th birthday, and starting a Revell 1/32 Super Cub just because I was in the mood) I turned back to the 110. Got the little air bottles in each wing (yep, remembered!) and built up one main gear leg. Ridiculously small amount of progress, but more significant for my recent track record is the fact that I'm continuing to do things with it. And you know what? I really like the thought of a black 110 materializing!

Time now to head off to other activities until later...

bob

p.s. Public thanks to Galgos (Max) for a little support behind the scenes.

p.p.s. Totally off the topic, but does anyone have any particular suggestions for civil registration letters appropriate to the Cub mentioned above? (I mean source suggestions, not which letters- got that chosen already!)

Just make sure the "black 110" isn't black Bob, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you about scale colour etc etc. No doubt we all have our own preferences, Tamiya's NATO black is very good, Vallejo's dark blue/grey is my personal favourite but in his book about modelling the Bf110 Brett Green used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF1 Flat Black and Tamiya Red Brown and it looks very effective indeed. Glad to see things progressing. :)

Max

All I did this morning was get the tape residue off of the starboard wing panels, a legacy from my earlier test-fit of one nacelle. Butter, the magic goo remover- thanks for teaching me that one, wife! Oh, and ream out two little holes in each nacelle that were somewhat flashed over.

Butter? really? i am intrigued.

I was hoping someone would ask! Got the nacelle halves marinating right now, since I was too focused on the wing to do them the other day. Keep on a low heat, stirring frequently, then add the bacon... oh, sorry, you can tell I haven't had breakfast yet.

No, you just wipe a bit on- perhaps more than a merest film, but just enough to coat the goo. I let it sit, though I'm not sure that's necessary (any excuse to procrastinate!) Then rub the area with a paper towel, which serves to both "work" the goo and remove the butter. On model parts I then wash it thoroughly with 'washing-up liquid' (aka dish detergent)- I hope there's no lingering trouble, but it can't be any worse than greasy fingers. You can always do it again if the first time didn't finish the job. Works great on store stickers that don't come off cleanly, dust covers for books (in that case I wouldn't let it sit, but the gloss seems to keep the greases from penetrating), etc. The nice thing is that it isn't as aggressive as chemical "goo removers" might be. Haven't tried it with margarine- we believe in real butter!

Of course, anyone knows not to leave tape on for too long, but I'm lazy...

Max, I'll experiment with "light black" or "off black"- don't have a specific plan yet. Scale colour is one of those things I believe in (or rather accept as my own philosophy) only when it suits my purposes :winkgrin: . But I don't want what should be BLACK to end up dark grey, as some people tend to do- there are too many airplanes (or models of) that are supposed to be dark grey! I remember Brett's article about black on Hyperscale- will have to go review it again, if I can find it.

Last night I further investigated my evil scheme re how to get the nacelles to fit, and I think I have a pretty firm plan, so hopefully a more interesting report to come before too long...

One tip that is probably bloody obvious, but seemed pretty clever when I managed to think of it for myself: When dealing with these teeny tiny parts that have to be stuck together to make an assembly (main gear leg of this kit is a great example), cut a bit of the sprue off along with (still attached to) the part, and use it as a "handle" while attaching the part. THEN cut the sprue-bit off and clean up the part in place. I also sometimes leave the "foundation" part on the sprue while I'm building onto it. I used to think I had to paint each part, then stick them together, but with this kit I'm doing a lot more sub-assembly first. Still don't understand how some people (apparently) build a whole cockpit THEN paint it, though!

bob

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Just back from "build night"- a couple times a month we (club members) meet at one member's basement and work on models. Got more fiddly cockpit bits stuck together, and spent more time trying to achieve a good fit of wing to fuselage. Not there yet, but getting closer. :shrug:

bob

Bob , i too am building the eduard 1/48th and trying to see any progress is hard , think we both need some BBC time lapse photography . have you attached part G46 yet . I got a huge moral boost after firstly finding it then finding it again after cutting it off the sprue . now its attached i feel im on the home stretch.

Alistair