Calamari Anyone?

Star Wars Mon Calamari MC-80 Liberty Class Cruiser.(ROTJ)

Hello all, this is is my latest off the bench, it is a 1/2256 scale kit made by Anigrand, finished length is just over 22” long, comes with two additional smaller craft, Millennium Falcon and a Transport Vessel.
As you might expect for a kit of this size there was a fair bit of warping in the resin parts, this was cured slowly and carefully by repeated heating over the kettle and setting in cold water. The castings themselves went together very well with minimum filler, I do not think I found a single air bubble in any of the parts.

This ship is from The Return of the Jedi and it is the 1st ship that gets blown up by the Death Star, all reference material used was of the original model in its large display cabinet.(museum somewhere) There are plenty of images out there but it was pretty tough going as the images all had flash and light distortion from being pictured through plate glass.
Still with a bit of time I got the pictures I needed, only the engine bells have been illuminated and these have been made more opaque to spread the LED light out.
The 9 unshielded LED chucked out far too much light, lit up the whole room so they needed to be diffused a little.
All painting done with Tamiya acrylic as usual, power point is fitted into the base to keep it neat, project took 3 weeks to complete.

102_9419.jpg102_9421.jpg102_9422.jpg102_9427.jpg102_9428.jpg102_9391.jpg102_9390.jpg102_9388.jpg102_9426.jpg102_9423.jpg102_9398.jpg

Thanks for Looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 13

I am so wracked with jealousy right now! I have been trying for ages to get my mitts on one of these kits at a decent price, but eBay prices are ridiculous and I refuse to pay $500 for a $150 kit.

Whinging and dribbling aside, you have done this kit the justice it deserves! Beautiful paint work and it's nicely lit and not OTT.

Fantastic work Dan - really fantastic. Looks like it's straight from the ILM workshop

Si

• Like 1

I am so wracked with jealousy right now! I have been trying for ages to get my mitts on one of these kits at a decent price, but eBay prices are ridiculous and I refuse to pay $500 for a $150 kit.

Whinging and dribbling aside, you have done this kit the justice it deserves! Beautiful paint work and it's nicely lit and not OTT.

Fantastic work Dan - really fantastic. Looks like it's straight from the ILM workshop

Si

Thankyou my friend, that is very kind, it took a while to paint but it was well worth it.

Danny

That's beautifully built and presented, well done! One thing, though - I know the 'reel' craft must have had them, otherwise you wouldn't have put them on, but what's with the red patches? Is it going rusty? :winkgrin:

Steve

• Like 1

That's beautifully built and presented, well done! One thing, though - I know the 'reel' craft must have had them, otherwise you wouldn't have put them on, but what's with the red patches? Is it going rusty? :winkgrin:

Steve

Yeh, it is based on the real one, i down loaded only images of the original model, i believe that it is at the Smithsonian with the other star wars models, it is meant to be oxidization.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Absolutely stunning! The sheer size and bulk of the 'real' thing totally come across, and the lighting and subsidiary ships make the whole display really special.

Great work.[/quote

Thanks Angst.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

Hi Danny

great job here! Congratulations.

My suggestion...could you upload a picture of the kit with some "real object" to fell the scale (like a coin) I guess it has to be huge but with some comparison elements that would be great.

An a question...how did you reduce the ilumination? with matt varnish?

Thanks

cheers

Nacho

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Hi Danny

great job here! Congratulations.

My suggestion...could you upload a picture of the kit with some "real object" to fell the scale (like a coin) I guess it has to be huge but with some comparison elements that would be great.

An a question...how did you reduce the ilumination? with matt varnish?

Thanks

cheers

Nacho

:goodjob:

Customer has picked it up now, she is 22" long.

I diffused the light by filling the bottom of each engine bell with Clearfix, this sets quite hard and also seals the led and acts as a larger lens. After that i poured in a little bit of microsol matt, this is a milky colour and dries like that, you have to do a few layers but it diffuses the light equally, i have tried lots of ways but this is perfect, just takes time.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Edited by danimalmagic

Very well worth it indeed.

Love it.

Cheers Pete.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Lovely! I noticed too late that Anigrand did some Star wars kits back then.

Looks great.

Rene

Cheers Rene.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

• 4 weeks later...