CF-188A - 410 Squadron RCAF KUTA

nimrod54

Well this is where I left my CF-188A Hornet build in September 2013 after having had paint issues and failing to complete it in time. Since then it has lost a wing (now repaired) after the dog tried to climb into the cupboard where it was kept during a thunderstorm. She gets unsettled when there are any loud bangs so this time of year can be a bit of a trying time for her.

CIMG2192_zpsd957ce50.jpg

CIMG2191_zps0cd1aa38.jpg

So as you can see there is plenty of tidying up to do, undercarriage to add, canopy to paint, decals, exhaust etc,etc.

For anyone interested here is a link to the build showing my plans and progress back then. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940517-cf-188a-410-squadron-rcaf-75th-anniversary-scheme-final-update/

I am looking forward to completing this and who knows if all goes well I may be able tackle another build from the failures pile.

• Like 3

The lowered flaps look fantastic - I'm glad you're finishing this one.

A 1/72 409 Sq RCAF Hornet is high on my list for 2015 builds.

Cheers bud, I hope it gives you some inspiration to make a start. It has already got me thinking about doing another Canadian CF-188 next year and I have been having a look to see what decal options are available, but because of space restrictions I have to pick and choose my 1/72nd builds carefully.

Good luck with your build if you manage to start it. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Like 1

Hi Nimrod

It will be great to see this one finished, you have done well not to lose any parts, my own KUTA projects may not have been so lucky !

Cheers Pat

Pat,

After failing to complete it in time I packed everything back in the box and put it away so luckily nothing was lost, the main issue I had was trying to remember where I had put the paint that I had used. Then after a read back through my original build as a refresher I had to decide what I was going to do to complete it. Apart from the obvious things like decals, canopy etc. there are lots of other little bits that I had overlooked.

Anyhow, I made a start this week by touching up some of the paint and adding the exhaust cans. I will try and do some more next week and get some photos posted.

Thanks for the comment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress to show at the minute. I have added the exhausts and painted the wheels and undercarriage legs, next up for these will be a wash over with either Tamiya smoke or Citadels Nuln Oil, haven't decided which might look best yet. I have also put a couple of coats of Humbrol Clear Gloss on prior to starting the decalling soon hopefully.

Will take some photos over the weekend to show how she stands at the moment. Still have to finish the seat, I'm sure that I saw a reference somewhere that said the straps on Canadian Hornets were a grey colour but I can't find it now. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Edited to include photos:

CIMG2943_zps9911f46b.jpg

CIMG2941_zps735a7cb4.jpg

CIMG2944_zpsd312c9c3.jpg

Forgot to mention the radome, this needs another coat yet.

CIMG2940_zps5a886fb9.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Back with a brief update.

With the Lightning STGB now over it is time to try and get this finished before the end of the month. Over the last couple of evenings I have been applying the main decals. I now have to apply all the stencil data and there seems to be quite a bit of this, I should hopefully get some time over the weekend to complete these. There is still a little bit of tidy up on the paint to do where my masking doesn't match the decal stripes and then lots of the fiddly bits such has arrestor hook undercarriage doors etc have to be completed and added.

IMG_3938_zps6c424272.jpg

IMG_3937_zps783ae68e.jpg

• Like 2

Thats one of the sets I need to source to add to my RCAF Hornets built and waiting to be built! Good work so far and good to see someone else applying Maple leaf roundels!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thats one of the sets I need to source to add to my RCAF Hornets built and waiting to be built! Good work so far and good to see someone else applying Maple leaf roundels!! :winkgrin:

Cheers Paul, I think these Leading Edge schemes are some of the best around. I hope that somebody releases this 2014 90th Anniversary scheme, I will be in the queue for a set. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-CF-188A/2520970/L/&sid=1476ea7e0d46433df28b4dc8c7303700

• Like 1

Cheers Paul, I think these Leading Edge schemes are some of the best around. I hope that somebody releases this 2014 90th Anniversary scheme, I will be in the queue for a set. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-CF-188A/2520970/L/&sid=1476ea7e0d46433df28b4dc8c7303700

Thats a smart scheme John. I think I'll have a word with Dave at Leading Edge.....

• Like 1

Progress on this has been steady, I've finished adding the stencil data to the airframe, I just have to add the last of these to the aerials once they have had the final colour added.

The undercarriage legs are on and it was whilst doing this I found that I needed to extend the nose gear ram with a piece of tubing to get it to sit better in the bay. I think that this may be due to me cutting it short when removing the resin piece from the casting block, I have checked this and it looks as though there may possibly be a bit still on the block. I've also done some detail painting in the main undercarriage bays to pick out the ducting and pipework.

I'm quite hopeful of getting this finished by the deadline now ( :oops: that's just cursed it).

IMG_3962_zpsba7a129d.jpg

IMG_3995_zpse322de1e.jpg

IMG_3971_zpsf398839b.jpg

IMG_3972_zpsfabea877.jpg

IMG_3990_zps6b5c2c6b.jpgIMG_3968_zps105d1420.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after languishing in the box since September 2013, as a result of paint problems in the STGB, it's complete at last. I added the seat and a couple of other details to the cockpit yesterday and the undercarriage doors, aerials and canopy to finish it off today.

CIMG3034_zps11de8b81.jpg

CIMG3035_zpsca2471ea.jpg

CIMG3039_zps72399b66.jpg

Not the best model I have made but I am happy that I have finished it after the issues I had in my earlier attempt. Thanks for looking in.

• Like 2