Airfix 110 in RAF colours - first time GB ***Completed***

Never built a German aircraft before, but a photo of a captured Bf110C-4 tickled my fancy. I managed to pickup the newish 1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 E/E2 Trop for $A7, box top and sprue images can be found on the review here by Paul AH (who is much better than I am at taking photos of such things). It has all the bits required to complete the earlier C-4.

The aircraft I have chosen is Bf 110C-4 AX772. It would appear that this was originally a Luftwaffe reconnaissance machine brought down near Goodwood in July 1940. It was then repaired at RAE Farnborough, tested and eventually found its way to 1426 Flight RAF, the unit responsible for evaluating and demonstrating captured enemy aircraft.

It would appear to have been painted in a couple of different schemes. I have chosen an ocean grey/dark green over yellow colour scheme, which looks rather striking to me. I should have enough spare decals hanging around to manage that.

Sources:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=271754

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1426_Flight_RAF

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 2

First day's progress. After some minor palpitations while painting the cockpit due to the paint "fish-eyeing" (memo to self - always prime before using Italeri Acryl paints), made some good progress on completing the cockpit.

DSC_0012_zps3c2ddcfc.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsde920f2d.jpg

Also made a start on other bits'n'pieces.

DSC_0019_zpsfb254b00.jpg

DSC_0020_zps8faeec5a.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsae7f2397.jpg

DSC_0022_zpse144ef00.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like an excellent start Simon with an interesting scheme. The RAF may have made changes once it was in their possession, but regarding the propeller blades Luftwaffe ones are usually finished in a dark grey and don't have the yellow tips, but perhaps it's British elf'n'safety!

Regards

Max

PS Disregard the above, I've just checked the colour profile book by John Vasco where there is an example of an Iraqi captured one flown by the RAF with black props and yellow tips. Press on regardless! :)

• Like 1

Thanks Max. Yes I thought the same concerning the propeller blades until I saw a photo of a captured machine. Pity, would have liked not having to paint the yellow tips :-)

Edited by SimonL

Thanks Andy.

Max - well the photos I got from Dave last night (thanks by they way!) confirm it, yellow tips on the props for AX772, so the masking wasn't a waste of time :-)

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1

This evening's progress. Fuselage glued together, no problems getting the cockpit in.

DSC_0014_zps80e1e230.jpg

I think I may only need a smidgen of filler.

Dry fit of the nose, wings and engine nacelles. On the whole looks pretty good.

DSC_0010_zpsf0a22f8a.jpg

DSC_0011_zps2737942b.jpg

Just a bit of a step on the underside of the nacelle that needs a bit of attention. While considering the underside of the aircraft, AX772 doesn't appear to have the fuselage mounted bomb carrier (described in the instructions as an ETC 500 bomb rack) in the rather good photos I have from Dave so I guess I can fill those 4 small indentations while I am at it.

DSC_0012_zps97ca3c71.jpg

• Like 1

was just going to say that the weather forcast for the week is not condusive to much gardening as its rain 24 /7 every day but as i then looked on your profile i see you'r in Perth W.Australia . Watch out for the Heat melting your kit and Redbacks :)

Just a little update, not worth any photos. Did a bit of painting on the sprue of the undercarriage bits and the props. Glued the radiator bits to the underside of the wing and stuck on the tail assembly. A few gaps need filling for the tail, so looks like some sprue stretching to do tomorrow.