rfix Lightning F6 in 1/72nd scale, 11 Sqn, 1977

After posting my old Hasegawa Lightning and its subseqent accident, I have just started (ie stuck two parts together and put some filler in some mould ejector pin marks) on a new Airfix Lightning that will be in the smae markings, XR754 'A' of 11 Sqn that was at the Silver Jubilee display at RAF Finningley in July 1977. Took a slide of it and several black and white shots. I like the Lightning in that scheme and I remember when I was about 14 in 1968 I did some side views of what we would call 'what ifs' including a Lightning in Grey and Green camouflage. Will post some pics when something worthwhille to show build wise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got some serious work done on the Lightning after finishing some other outstanding models and laying a wooden floor. So far I have got to the stage of the intakes exhausts and cockpit finished and the u/c interiors painted and the wings together (although guess who forgot to drill out the holes of the FR probe). Bits of undercarriage are done and the missiles started.

Forewarned by otheres on the thread I have bee looking at the fir of the intake and exhausts and removed all the ejector pin marks and thinned the exterior of the intake trunking a little. the fit is getting to be reasonable, but I have noticed that the plastic of the fuselage ia quite thin and the halves are flexible which does make me wonder if the problems with getting the fuselage together are due to distortion when the parts are cooling and coming out of the mould and this might account for the variation in fit that seem to be occuring, Some photos belowP1000312_zpse4bf64c3.jpgP1000313_zpsc2b9aede.jpgP1000314_zps80a0c3cd.jpg

• Like 4

Nice start. I did the same as you with the re-fueling probe, but I did manage to prise the wings apart enough to see where the hokes were. Mind you now that I have come the fit said probe I have found that although there are round holes in the wings (as there should be) there are square blocks on the probe.

Edited by Jabba

Nice start. I did the same as you with the re-fueling probe, but I did manage to pries the wings apart enough to see where the hokes were. Mind you now that I have come the fit said probe I have found that although there are round holes in the wings (as there should be) there are square blocks on the probe.

Thanks for the heads up about the probe. Number of times I have had to drill out holes intentionally I am not too worried, just annoyed with my self for having done it. I intend getting the fuselage halves together tonight so need to get on instead of sitting in front of PC. Just about used the time my brain can stand looking at a screen anyway.

• Like 1

I have also noted how many people are having fit issues with these new Airfix kits and that the fit issues vary from build to build. There could be something in your theory about the plastic, I think it is soft and has an almost soapy feel. Of the 6 kits I have purchased I have found that the F6's have more flaws and sink marks than the F2A's, although one of my F2A's had a very badly warped fin.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage is together and the wings added and more of the add on bits are underway. The nose ended up with a bigger gap than I would have liked and I can see some work getting a good line around the windscreen. The short shot on the Red Top which everyone seems to have found has been dealt with, I ended up making a whole new fin as it proved earier than trying to stick a bit on. The Aeroclub bang seat has needed a bit taken of the bottom, but looks an ok fit now and is a big improvement on the kit one. i am worried whether it will be finished in time. my sister in law is coming for Christmas and so no modelling next week and i am not going to rush the build as anotehr will probably not get built(too many kits, too little time)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I feared, not going to get this one done in time, partly because i have not a lot of modelling time, but also found that the brake parachute fairing was not present where it should have been on the sprue, just a little blob of plastic so had to ask Airfix for one. whilst waiting decided i really did not like the Red Tops and have replaced them with new ones from Freightdog. When finished will go on RFI page.

• Like 2

Part and Red Tops have arrived, very speedy service from Airfix and Freightdog, Just been working on an Airfix Gnat and at stage where both can be worked on during modelling session. The Lightning has had a coat of primer and refilled etc. where needed, The windscreen has been added, but requires some work due to the fit problems with the nose. U/C painted as well as Aeroclub seat, once offspring taken back to uni should have a bit more time and energy.

• Like 1