Stew Dapple's Eduard 1/72 Bf110C Profipack edition 1/ZG76 Norway 1940

Hi V-P, it does look very dark, doesn't it, but have a little faith man, that is due to my poor photographic 'skills', it is RLM71 Dunkelgrun :D

Hi Simon, it's a (synthetic?) rubber boot which I presume is to prevent grit and dirt getting into the compressing part of the landing gear leg... the instructions specify H47/41 Red Brown (Gunze Sangyo, I think) but I used a tin of red-brown I had to hand, which was White Ensign Models Colourcoats ACS16 VVS AII (Dark) Brown, which I gave a darker brown wash (some stuff from Games Workshop a friend gave me) :)HTH

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

No problem mate, I built the Airfix one a few years ago and I remember it as a decent kit but sadly lacking in most respects compared to the Eduard one :fraidnot:

Woke up ridiculously early again, I made use of my inability to get back to sleep and completed stage two of the mummification:

DSCN1722.jpg

Hopefully later I can spray the RLM70 Black-green on... :)

Cheers,

Stew

Well done Stew

........but can you use a colored panel under the plane? I not good see the color with grey/black PC behind

:rolleyes: Ettore

• Like 2

Hey Simon, Sarge, Rich, thank you, :) as you wish...

Black-green applied

DSCN1726.jpg

...and masking removed:

DSCN1732.jpg

I had a few tiny spots of paint lifted when I removed the tape so there will have to be a little re-touch here and there but overall it came out okay.

Next I will start adding the remaining components - the undercarriage and the mass balances etc. - and assemble the props... but it really is further away from completion than it looks, it won't be finished by the weekend...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

It is loking sharp :)

I really like the moment when i can remove masking tape and see what i have done.

And adding decals later on bringing model to live...if you know what i mean :)

Carry on!

I feel the same way. Unmasking is my favorite part of building a model -- if everything worked.

• Like 1

Pawel, thank you mate, and yes, I do know exactly what you mean :D

PC, thanks :D - with the splinter camo patterns it is perhaps more likely to work successfully and fortunately in this instance it was within the required parameters, a bit of touch-up always has to be factored in beforehand :lol:

Sarge, thanks, and Pawel and PC since we all touched upon it; it is something I have thought about before, unmasking the camouflage, applying the 'transfers' and removing the canopy masking all give me much the same feeling - I think it is trepidation, followed by either despair or joy depending :D - perhaps addiction to these feelings is why we still make models after all this time :pipe::hmmm::lol:

Anyway yesterday evening I added some of the odds and bobs, the undercarriage and the wheelbay doors, the mass balances and pitot tube, the d/f loop and the wireless mast...

I didn't add the etched 'towel rail' antenna because while there is an equation showing how far an etched part can ping from a pair of tweezers it is not the same equation showing how far an etched part which has had its attachment points dipped in superglue before pinging out of a pair of tweezers can go. I may find it stuck to my forehead in the next few days and if so I will fit it, otherwise the model will have to go without :angry:

Here's the current state of things, sorry about the picture, light-bulb lighting...

DSCN1738.jpg

Today I will be mostly painting on thin coats of Klear in the hope of getting a silver-free application of the decals tomorrow.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Oh the wonders of light-bulb lightning, I had to check your post #84 to verify this is really painted in German greens, not RAF dark earth/mid stone! At least that´s what the plane in post above looks like in my screen. I don´t say it would look bad in that splinter desert camo, that´s something the Luftwaffe never tried, or did they? :goodjob: any way, V-P

• Like 1

She's looking good Stew, even in light-bulb lighting. Personally I hate applying decals, a testing tedious process! For my Harvard I'm using entirely paint masks, if that proves to be successful that may become my MO for future builds.

Max

• Like 1

Hi V-P, yes the electric light's effect on the picture colour is pretty misleading, but the amount of available ambient light in Aberdeenshire at 5am in November on a scale of one to ten would probably on be displayed in minus numbers :lol:... I don't recall ever having seen a Luftwaffe splinter-pattern camouflage in desert colours or partial desert colours but I am no expert :blush:

Hi Max, I have seen some of the Montex masks for markings, and somewhere in the decal box I have a set of Maketar masks for Armee de l'Air roundels which to my shame I have never even opened; it will be interesting to hear what your opinions on painted markings are once you have done it - I suspect (so long as they work) they will look brilliant :)

Thanks Nigel :D , I've recently been using Phoenix Precision Paints from here and I am really happy with them, used in conjunction with cellulose thinners - however if you prefer acrylics (or not to fill your workroom with the heady scent of cellulose thinners) they may not be so suitable for you :)

Cheers,

Stew

Good god V-P, what on earth are you doing up there? Anyway, don't try to out-northern me, I am sure that at 05.00 the amount of available light in both our locations is probably roughly the same at this time of year - none whatsoever :shocked:

I wouldn't dismiss the desert splinter scheme as a figment of your imagination, you never know...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1