Stew Dapple's Eduard 1/72 Bf110C Profipack edition 1/ZG76 Norway 1940

Thanks Max - on the sprues the kit looks lovely and the online build reviews I have read of it were very positive, so I hope I will have a pleasant and successful build (I actually hope that very strongly as I also have the C-6 version and two 'Weekend' editions in the stash) :pray:

Simon - go on mate, you know it makes sense :lol:

I've finished the canopy masking on mine:

DSCN1615.jpg

I said earlier that Eduard provide a comprehensive mask set for this kit, but I would like to amend that to 'an almost comprehensive mask set' - I made the centre part of the moulded-on grab-handle on the rear canopy part on the right, and the little triangular bits on the sides of the top windscreen panel which you can just about see on the left-hand part. I don't think the absence of these would make a glaring difference to the finished model but I had noticed it and thought it a bit odd that these masks weren't included - tiny though they are - since they are included in the mask sets for the Airfix and Fujimi 110 kits -_-

Anyway I am done with that now and can start sticking some cockpit bits together today I hope :D

Cheers,

Stew

Nice one Stew,

I was hoping that you`d go for the Sicily based aircraft on the box art but a Norwegian campaign option is great too. I wish that I had the skill and patience to mask canopies like that, but I don`t so hats off to you sir,...looking forward to the rest of the build,

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks mate, and yes, the box options include some nice schemes and the Sicilian ZG26 scheme is probably the most attractive of them; Ettore is building this kit in that scheme here and it looks like it will be a cracker :coolio:

The pre-cut masks make masking the clear parts a lot easier but I still don't really like doing it... :blink:

In post #2 Procopius mentioned an error in the instruction relating to the part immediately behind the gunner's position, the early C model 110s did not have the cut-out in the rear window and the gun was stowed to the gunner's left when not in use in a recess designed for this purpose. The instructions advise part B35 and A30 should be used, but for the early gun position part B34 should be used and there is a thinned-down area of part A30 which should be removed so that it looks like this:

DSCN1616.jpg

I think some C models were retrofitted with the later style canopy so you have a degree of licence if you want to avoid doing this, for myself I am not sure of the wisdom of it as I need to find how the gun mounting was stowed before I add the canopy or leave the gun off which is what the instructions advise... :hmmm: oh well, I will see how it pans out...

These are the bulk of the cockpit components:

DSCN1618.jpg

Still a fair bit of work to be done there and the photo-etch still to be added :D... the fuselage halves:

DSCN1622.jpg

...and the wings and engine nacelles - test-fits indicate an excellent fit and I might well get away without using any filler :o

DSCN1619.jpg

Everything has fitted incredibly well so far, the detail is lovely and I am really enjoying myself :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Thanks K, it feels like it's going nicely :)

With reference to the rear gun stowage, the estimable Falke Eins comes to my rescue with the picture here :) so I will have to modify the kit part H2 a bit but it looks feasible, I'll see how feasible once the main cockpit parts are in place ^_^

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Andy, thanks Alistair :D - it is a lovely kit, I am really impressed with it so far.

Today I have been mostly glueing etched metal bits:

DSCN1628.jpg

Can anyone advise what colour the cables running along the inside of the port fuselage half visible in this picture should be? I have seen them done in yellow, blue and grey and I'm not sure if any or all of them are correct :huh: I am tempted by the yellow, just to add a nice bit of colour to the cockpit :blush:

Tomorrow I am flat-hunting so probably won't get much done before the evening, but hopefully I can wrap up the cockpit and close the fuselage up.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew, these are the colours that Brett Green used in his book on modelling the Bf110. This cockpit colour is RLM66 Black Grey used in the F and G series so not applicable to yours in RLM02 Green Grey, but the wiring should be common to a large extent.

IMG_0678_zps8a5a61aa.jpg

Max

Thanks Max, the port-side interior in that kit looks to be entirely different from the Eduard 'C' version which only has one cable run, so I am not sure which corresponds, whether it would be the silver, blue or yellow set... looks like some digging around might be in order... :hmmm:

While we are here; the compressed air bottle for the MGFF guns, would that be light blue as I have seen it painted that way?

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Max, I think I have a suitable bright blue for that; I see that Ettore has gone for yellow for the cabling here and while I am not so naive as to imagine my cockpit will look that nice I can at least claim it as a precedent if pressed :D

Sarge, you might well be right, I imagine the amount of electronics on the G model of the Bf110 would require substantially more cabling -_-

Simon, thanks very much mate, should be okay, got four to look at today and several more in reserve if these don't work out so I hope something can be sorted. If it goes well I might even get one with a cheaper rent than my last flat :huh:

Cheers,

Stew

I seem to remember yellow was the common colour for all the wiring, but there was a couple of other colours used for special wiring looms, I know blue is one but can't remember....

ok a quick check on another website (largescaleplanes) found the following, will cut and past the details......and I was wrong! :doh:

If you mean electrical wires, there was no rule as such.

Most wires were insulated with plastic of various colours and I have seen yellow, red and white insulation on such wires. For example, the Ju88 that Guttorm is working featured only red insulation, not a single yellow piece of insulation in sight. But Guttorm also showed me yellow insulation from a Messerschmitt. No rule, really. It seems that manufacturers sourced their own electrical cabling according to their own needs.

HOWEVER, the plastic insulation was seldom visible. Most wires were bundled inside a woven metal "tube" that shielded against all interference and offered some protection against damage. The above-mentioned plastic insulation on the Ju88 cables was visible only after the metal woven "tube" was stripped. These "tubes" were around 10mm in diameter in real life, and these would be visible enough in scale 1/32 as 0.3mm wires - these should be a dull natural metal in colour. There were some instances of single strands of wire featuring coloured plastic insulation visible - these wires were 4mm thick in real life, in scale 1/32, they would be 0.125mm in thickness. The best thing to do is to check your references and photos.

The colour code that was mentioned before is for conduits/pipes/tubing and the official diagrams identifying the colours was published in Kenneth Merrick's "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933 - 1945, Volume two", pages 424 and 425. These were used to identify the purpose of various pipes and what they carried, such as blue with two white stripes for breathing oxygen, blue with two red stripes for compressed air for armament, yellow for fuel, brown for oil, green for coolant, etc. This was a quick identification guide that avoided any mishaps. These colours were also painted around the instrument bezels and ancillaries - Oxygen bezels were painted blue, fuel bezels were painted yellow, fuel pump handle was painted yellow, oil bezels were painted brown and so on.

Another common mistake you see is when people paint in yellow all conduits, tubes, wires, every filiform item in the cockpit or gun compartment - you often see that at the back of instrument panels. In conduits, yellow symbolised "fuel" and as such ONLY those instruments relating to fuel should have yellow conduits. But most of the times, those conduits leading to instrument panels were simply black with a little tag identifying their purpose.

I'll have to keep this for referance myself!

• Like 3

Thanks very much Rich, that is very interesting and sounds authoritative, can you give us a link to that thread/article please?

So dull natural metal for the cabling, that's a bit disappointing :lol: it will look like I forgot to paint the insulation... however blue with red stripes for the little compressed air bottle that operates the MGFF cannon mechanism will be interesting to paint, especially as I have fitted all the 20mm magazines :D

Cheers,

Stew

And yet the colour photographs in my two "walk through" books clearly show bundled looms of electrical cabling, predominantly yellow. The bundles are far too large to have been run in conduit and I can't see any reason why the conduit would have been stripped out in an aircraft which is clearly in "as original" condition.

Max

• Like 1

Max, your build is looking very lovely indeed, I'll be following that one for sure :popcorn:

Bob, I curse your pernicious efforts :bleh: I have gone with yellow (RLM04 :whistle: ) for the cabling and I am calling the fuselage interiors done

DSCN1652.jpg

I did paint the little compressed air bottle blue with two red stripes even though I had to get past the spare cannon magazines to get at it :D - here is the proof:

DSCN1639.jpg

Finally, I spent most of the morning building a new rear-gun mounting instead of filling in the letting agent's extremely demanding application form - I believe this might serve as an illustration of what they call 'displacement activity':

DSCN1645.jpg

It's a reasonable replica or at least as reasonable as I will be able to make it :) - I think I can close up the fuselage now and things should get moving...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

I would like to say a lovely job as well!

But :D

......for some all your pictures are missing, all I get is the JPG file name, and if I try to open it I keep getting swallowed into a black hole....well not quite but it does upset the browser!

• Like 1

Thanks PC, I have to say that most of that lovely cockpit is down to the Eduard etched stuff and the detail parts included in the kit, it has an intricacy that makes it look a bit intimidating but it all fits in really well, thankfully :)

Hi Rich, that's a shame but the pictures all show up on my laptop... it might be something to do with the browser you are using, I seem to remember that in some circumstances that can affect the display of images but I can't remember what I read or where I read it :blush: but if its only happening on my thread :huh: ...anyone else having issues?

Hey Nigel, nice to have you along, thanks :D it's been a hoot so far and it's a lovely kit ^_^

Cheers,

Stew