Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkI

Only my second Ready for Inspection post. Quite happy with the way this has turned out. Had only bought with the intention of using for airbrush practice but was so happy with it I decided to share :o) Hope you's like it. All comments, tips, suggestions much appreciated.

IMAG1634.jpg

IMAG1630.jpgIMAG1632.jpg

IMAG1631.jpg

IMAG1637.jpg

• Like 14

Nice one dude! The pics look even better up on here. But like Stew said...what's the lump?? Looks to me like youve got the hang of this airbrush thingy...nice one!! Now get over to my house and take some pics of my 109 to make it look good LOL!!

• Like 1

Cheers Stew, much appreciated :)

Mmmmm you mean under the decal/s? Im not sure there was a little bit sticking out on both sides but the decals moulded and set well around them well. I know what u mean, the photo does seem to make it look like a lumpy bit and worse than actually is. You say the recognitiion light is meant to be there? Have a missed something? :doh:lol

Nice one dude! The pics look even better up on here. But like Stew said...what's the lump?? Looks to me like youve got the hang of this airbrush thingy...nice one!! Now get over to my house and take some pics of my 109 to make it look good LOL!!

Im on it Bro, will get up over the weekend. Hey you dont need pics to make it look good :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Cheers Stew, much appreciated :)

Mmmmm you mean under the decal/s? Im not sure there was a little bit sticking out on both sides but the decals moulded and set well around them well. I know what u mean, the photo does seem to make it look like a lumpy bit and worse than actually is. You say the recognitiion light is meant to be there? Have a missed something? :doh:lol

Hi mate, sorry, I should have been more specific; between the wings, along the central fore-aft axis and just ahead of the trailing edge of the wing on the underside of the aircraft there is a cylindrical shape protruding out of the hole where the small amber light would be on the real aircraft, I've never seen one on that kit before and wondered what it was? Might be part of the display stand or just something you stuck in there to use as a handle while painting?

Great model in any case, I was just curious :coolio:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi mate, sorry, I should have been more specific; between the wings, along the central fore-aft axis and just ahead of the trailing edge of the wing on the underside of the aircraft there is a cylindrical shape protruding out of the hole where the small amber light would be on the real aircraft, I've never seen one on that kit before and wondered what it was? Might be part of the display stand or just something you stuck in there to use as a handle while painting?

Great model in any case, I was just curious :coolio:

Cheers,

Stew

Aaah I get you now. Tbh Im not sure what it is or why, its def in the instructions. You believe there should be a light there, interesting, must check that out.

Cheers for looking and comments, all much appreciated.

I think the light Stew is referring to should be flush with the fuselage.

I've assembled 6 or 7 of the new mould Airfix Spitfires and gave up tryig to get the clear bit to fit so, I paint the bottom of hole silver then fill it with PVA glue. Keep filling, and wiping away any excess, it'll dry clear and, if you've put enough glue in the hole, flush with the fuselage.

• Like 1

Aaah I get you now. Tbh Im not sure what it is or why, its def in the instructions. You believe there should be a light there, interesting, must check that out.

Cheers for looking and comments, all much appreciated.

Nice model, lovely finish. I like. :)

But are you really saying that "appendage" is shown in the instructions? I don't believe it. It's where downward recognition light is positioned. Check out any Spitfire pics.

Edited by chaddy
  • Like 1

by the way that "lump" is indeed the clear part no. C36 of the kit and is supposed to be the light. But it looks very large on the pic Mixup1 has posted.

Another question - shouldn't the underside of the rudders be painted in aluminium instead of black and white? I got a masking set for the (Airfix) Spitfire Mk. 1 and it comes with painting instuctions as well. And there it says that the underside of the rudders are in aluminium color.

Anyone knows more about what is right?

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Hi Mixup:

Congratulations for this superb Spitfire,you have done a wonderful job with this airbrush and even the decals and the fine finishing you have appplied looks nice. Just the question about the cilindrical object under wing when the black paint stars, as the guys above have questioned, but anyway a nice model as the result of your dexterities to be an artist in plastic modeling. The only thing you have missed is the antennae that goes fromthe rudder to the post but you can add a fine woman black long hair and you have done it!!...As the airbrush practice turned in the discovering and start of a master modeler masterpieces, just Go ahead and hope the next will be at least in the same level of this one.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the kind words and comments. I must at this point hold my hands up. I did make a silly school boy/noobie error, how, i do not know, but you's are all quite right. Upon looking back at instructions, it is in fact meant to be C36 and not this cylinder type mess I have attached. Not quite sure what to do, but will have to come off. How easy that will be is something else. Tamiya ex thin holds tight, hopefully wont make too big a mess and with a bit of sanding and a quick re-spray she will look even better.

Thanks again Everyone!

• Like 2

A great and well done Spitfire ! Your paintwork looks very nice. Got this kit too, i did a test fit with the fuselage halfs and the canopy and the fit was so good and tight that the clear part hold the fuselage halves together. I hope that my will look half as good as yours.

Well done.

• Like 1

Hi Friend:

If you will remove the cylinder,just take a huge lot of care and try not to damage this wonderful job you have done, otherwise, let the cylinder there and don´t worry, and even better, try another one in other paint scheme and thats it!!! this wonderful mould really deserves to be built not one but many times as we can!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Friend:

If you will remove the cylinder,just take a huge lot of care and try not to damage this wonderful job you have done, otherwise, let the cylinder there and don´t worry, and even better, try another one in other paint scheme and thats it!!! this wonderful mould really deserves to be built not one but many times as we can!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

Cheers Luis, I have yet to take this nasty piece off and still contemplating it. Is it worth it?? lol or just live and learn. If not, I was thinking along the same lines...just build another :o) Either way, I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Pearse

• Like 2

Cheers Luis, I have yet to take this nasty piece off and still contemplating it. Is it worth it?? lol or just live and learn. If not, I was thinking along the same lines...just build another :o) Either way, I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Pearse

Hi Pearse:

I'll stay tuned!!! Keep on my friend!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1