Grant Mk I, Burma/India campaign

russ c

Hi Everyone, thought I`d show you some pic`s of one of my rare AFV attempts that I`ve decided to call finished

SAM_7330_zpsd71531ef.jpg

Completed to represent a Grant of the 50th Indian Tank Brigade

SAM_7327_zps3e1fc089.jpg

Used the Tamiya 1/35th kit and made a few changes which include;

SAM_7328_zps1eb1b3a3.jpg

Shortening the mud guards, deletion of the side skirts, left off the machine gun and...

SAM_7334_zpsa9701f87.jpg

added some tracks from the spares box to represent the ones added to the front of the tanks to augument the armour

SAM_7333_zps861507f7.jpg

also attempted to mix by eyeball `Jungle Green` paint and fade it to how I think it may have looked ?

SAM_7335_zpsc838988a.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 11

Very neat work Russ, though I'd have thought more dust or mud depending on season would be appropriate?

I remember a thread on this ages ago http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937317-british-tanksafvs-used-in-cbi-theatre/

when jungle green came up. What mix did you use?

May I also suggest photographing model on the ground or an earth base, as the white table is a bit distracting, and then using a low depth of field, which would blur the conifers in the background in a 'wall of jungle'?

Just an arty thought.

cheers

Troy

• Like 1

Very nice Russ,

I wasn`t sure whether Grant`s were sent to India/Burma or not or whether it was just Lee`s but you`ve answered my query! I have a Lee planned to do in these colours one day, thanks for the inspiration to bump it up the list,

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Very neat work Russ, though I'd have thought more dust or mud depending on season would be appropriate?

I remember a thread on this ages ago http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937317-british-tanksafvs-used-in-cbi-theatre/

when jungle green came up. What mix did you use?

May I also suggest photographing model on the ground or an earth base, as the white table is a bit distracting, and then using a low depth of field, which would blur the conifers in the background in a 'wall of jungle'?

Just an arty thought.

cheers

Troy

Thanks Troy, I didn`t measure exact ammounts but the paint was a mix of Humbrol 75, 91 and 116 with a dry brush of 195 on the edges and raised bits, it actually came out lighter than intended especially after matt varnishing. I`m afraid I`m no photographer ( the cameras a point and shoot )and am at the mercy of the sun and weather when taking pic`s.

Thanks to all for your positive comments

That's a great looking tank. I really like the variety of colourings you've achieved and the weathering looks great too. I'm going to have to have a go at one of these bigger tanks at some point! Well done!

• Like 1

I`m afraid I`m no photographer ( the cameras a point and shoot )and am at the mercy of the sun and weather when taking pic`s.

Hi Russ

even my ancient 'point and shoot' camera has a macro [close up] setting, usually indicated by something like a flower symbol, which is for close ups and would blur the background.

For a base, even an old tray or bit of wood on the table with some earth from the garden spread out would probably suffice, I'm assuming that you don't want a pile of mud on the garden table ;)

With digital it's always worth trying a few experiments, as you might be surprised at what results you might get, even if you did the exact same shot at the top on a board with some earth spread out it would look better.

You can also get some interesting results just using normal lights, but you can buy a cheap halogen at Homebase for under £5, you need to wire it yourself, up but its a powerful light, easily enough to bounce off a wall and get a diffuse light.

• Like 1