Sword 1/72 Lightning T5 - OOB with the Silver 226 OCU visitor to RAF Lakenheath Air Fete 1970 was it the one that made me cry!? - FINISHED IN GALLERY

Well the kit arrived - fancied a bash at the silver metallic and I have always played with a 1/72 to accompany the 1/48 in my first 2 STGB's.

I will attempt the metal finish with this kit - it has PE which is new to me (do I use superglue?). I have 1970's pilots on order!

IMG_20141029_164122_zps9f699d8e.jpg

swordlightingtwoseatermd_7_zps0b1719c7.j

Actual Aircraft:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1040035

t5_zps856a01db.jpg

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xs452.html

If anyone has any top tips on the kit, known issues etc, advice is appreciated!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Good to see another Lightning join the GB Tim. There are a few being tackled here so sure you'll gain good advice from those builds as well as others across Britmodeller.

• Like 1

Tim, if you're into correcting things, apparently using the Quickboost intake ring for the Trumpeter kit can be an improvement to the general look of the Sword model, which is apparently a little short.

I love the scheme you've chosen, with those St. George's crosses; training future dragonslayers, I suppose.

• Like 1

I think I am signed up for this GB. I have the kits and decals etc..... but.... at the moment I am just not into Lightnings. However on seeing this Coltishall T5 and having the kit as well may well have inspired me. But it will have to wait while I complete a few of my other current builds and hope I have time to complete at least one for this GB .

• Like 3

It should do. I'm using Johnsons Klear. It's pretty good at holding the PE instruments together. I split some on my desk & it soaked under a tile that I use to cut PE on. Cannot move the damn thing now!!

By the way, I see your location is Colchester. The Dakota that's the gate guard. I road moved that from Aldershot to North Weald where it was re sprayed then onto its current location & helped with the rebuild.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3

small world - I spent 25 years in the Parachute Regiment and the Dakota was the gate guard where I done my training at Depot PARA - Browning Barracks in 1985 - as you say it is now at my last barracks here in Coly. I retired in 2011 after 25 years, had my last Warrant Officers and Sgts Mess photo in front of the Dakota.. Fine work and thanks!

• Like 2

Right - so I am on duty at work and scanning the instructions! Page 8, Step 23, PE parts PP25, PP24 and PP16 appear to make a wing gate of some sort - on both wings? Any ideas top tips or knowledge?

This is my first time with PE. Should I paint? Or are they meant to stay the natural 'brass' colour? If to be painted - before they have been glued on or after? Obviously the coloured parts are not painted!?

Any advise/help welcome, especially if you have tackled this kit!!

IMG_20141101_190326_zpse2b2a1a0.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff

I could be wrong, but the bits you've highlighted seem to be located in the notch of the leading edge of the wing. On the real thing, this structure is located in there:

DSCF0019_zps7657ff29.jpg

Seems a bit fiddly in 1/72 though...

Hope that helps,

Dean

• Like 4

I thought etch in 1/48 was fiddley. Good luck Tim.

Most of the etch will be the aircraft colours, paint once it's on as any slight bending will crack the paint if you paint before adding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a kit this is....now I normally stick to 1/48, but for the 2 STGB I have done I have done an airfix GR9 and Sabre, which were easy fit, well made kits....

Now this Sword is a fight to the death me thinks....! Joined horribly to the sprues, no pins for joining parts, fiddly cockpit and tiny etch, all a challenge!

Well I am working on the pit, whilst watching Nimrod creating a masterpiece!!

I really want to get it together to test the all over metal finish.....well im getting there....slowly with my profanity, especially trying to attach the IP!!

IMG_20141108_161939_zps78c31c90.jpg

IMG_20141108_162004_zps5ef2b3d6.jpg

IMG_20141108_164809_zps2e5fbb87.jpg

Done a bit of work this arvo, pics tomorrow.....am working out best way of joining the fuesalge, thinking mount cocpit and intake pieces first, then join, maybe some tabs fitted to assist.....

I will win, it may not be a masterpiece and like a teenage build....but it will be silver!

Edit - forgot this pic - test shot of Tamiya rattle can on the 1/48 tanks for some training....looks nice me thinks....there is hope!

IMG_20141108_161848_zpsdb5cc217.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Well, some pics of pilots and pit. Need to touch up, dry brush, weather etc and then attempt the big Sword close up!

IP a mare to attach, lots of glue, gonna be tight in there for Fl Lt I.A.M Instructor and PO S.Prog!

On my last night shift before I start at the BBC, so have 6 rest days to try to get something done and make this thing shiny if nothing else!!

IMG_20141117_161734_zps84c40168.jpg

Stbd wing put together, horrible attachment to the sprues...

IMG_20141117_161718_zps87c413b0.jpg

Basic paint in the pit and seats and on the aforementioned RAF Officers... need to detail, touch up etc....

Hard frustrating work, but hey -ho, it WILL be shiny and no one can see it on the boys ceiling!!!

• Like 3

Well this kit is a pig.....wing roots don't fit, wobbly tail, etc etc....thankfully got it buttoned up with much profanity, canopy on to cover the horrors (will need to use a bit of that Klear stuff to fill the gaps!

Certain to say I won't be buying a Sword kit again anytime soon!

IMG_20141119_104210_zpsc37c5ab1.jpg

Fl Lt I.A.M Instructor and PO S.Prog have been touched and tidied up, given a Floreys wash as has the rest of the cockpit area! Thankfully the canopy does not afford a great view from outside in, especially when hanging on the ceiling! Shame I enjoy the whole cockpit thing normally!

IMG_20141119_104136_zpsbc2225d6.jpg

Buttoned up with everything inside (no tabs, locators etc!)

IMG_20141121_161111_zps64d81c54.jpg

Tail, windscreen and canopy on a bit bit of filler here and there!!!

Next phase is to complete the build without collateral damage to the whole model, bit of black preshading (look at post 55 and 56 of this build....it worked, so will try!) and then look at the shiny paint job.......start my new 9-5 and deployment job at the Beeb on Monday, no more 6 day rest periods to model......!

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/e-e-lightning-f6-1-48-airfix.11101/page-3

• Like 2

Yes, I'd say with this kit it almost makes more sense to fit the wings before closing the fuselage; I did a lot of test fitting and fettling before waiting to add them after I closed it up, but I still wished I'd put them on first.

• Like 1