06/24's modern armour workbench

06/24

Nice graffiti Jon - very, er, 'street'. :)

My grey matter finally stirred up 'Nigel Rees' as the author of the graffiti books and a quick search turned up some selected examples:

"Bill Posters is Innocent" - under a "Bill Posters will be prosecuted" sign, of course.

"Be alert - your country needs lerts"

"To do is to be - Rousseau

To be is to do - Sartre

Dobedobedo - Sinatra"

"Back in a minute - Godot"

"Free the Heinz 57"

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed"

"Heisenberg Probably Rules, OK"

:coat:

• Like 2

The Trumpeter stickers (they don't deserve the name transfers!) were the worst o have ever encountered. Somehow they contrived at the same time to be both too thin (so they curled up on themselves as soon as they were removed from the backing paper) and to have a grossly thick varnish layer, so that there is a distinct lip, particularly around the larger titles.

29217788446_e4c7bef983_c.jpgCSLU 20ft container in 1/35 scale by jongwinnett, on Flickr

This is the state of paly after several hours of swearing and half a bottle of decal softener! The wrong number of ribs was of course a complete pain in the bottom when placing the lettering and numbers.

28963767820_b386bd7101_c.jpgCSLU 20ft container in 1/35 scale by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Fortunately I can scrub the edge off before I weather (I hope), to minimise its appearance.

Remember I said I would get an Italeri box to compare. Well. I did, it’s assembled, but, nicer looking transfers (with three options) aside, it’s not a patch on the Trumpeter moulding. Too flimsy; too many joints on long panels (floor fair enough, but roof and end will need some work to disguise). It’s posed on its altogether more satisfying brethren.

28963767760_a290843e91_c.jpgCSLU 20ft container in 1/35 scale by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Of course, the three options on the transfer sheet mean I could do two more Trumpeter boxes – but for any more I shall have to search for 1/35 aftermarket transfers, or ask Arran Aird who owns C-Rail, a model railway container manufacturer, if he can lend me some artwork to prepare stencil masks.

• Like 3

The multipart nature of the Trumpeter door locking bars means it would be difficult to fit them after painting. So a tricky masking job was needed:

29157714512_e585b96fdd_c.jpgItaleri 20ft Container and Trumpeter doors by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Meanwhile the Italeri version was filled, filed and then painted:

29157715142_ee8b786401_c.jpgItaleri 20ft Container and Trumpeter doors by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Doors fitted and flat coat on, the China Shipping box is ready for weathering:

28646341563_7684d5f18e_c.jpgTrumpeter 1/35 China Shipping 20ft ISO container by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And the Italeri box is finished too, as a USMC example:

29162512902_7b9bc0ed59_c.jpgItaleri 1/35 UMC 20ft Container by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Just caught up with the earlier posts on the Bradley and I hadn't realised that you'd recently bought an airbrush... which one did you get? How are you getting on with it?

Congrats to Kieran for his model by the way - looks great :)

What a great thread, some truly smashing work. :coolio:

Kind words, thank you. I have a long way to go to match other armour modellers' standards though.

Just caught up with the earlier posts on the Bradley and I hadn't realised that you'd recently bought an airbrush... which one did you get? How are you getting on with it?

Congrats to Kieran for his model by the way - looks great :)

An Aztec, and only marginally ok, I'm still using rattle cans most of the time, no faffing about cleaning and so on. I really do need to practice and I have at least one build in mind which will need NATO tricolour camp so that may force me to confront the damn thing.

• Like 1

Kind words, thank you. I have a long way to go to match other armour modellers' standards though.

Got to disagree! :confused:

I've been around a while fella.....Your work can happily stand alongside anything in this forum. :coolio:

Anyone who can make building a shipping container interesting just has to be doing something right! :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Hello,

I agree totally with what's being said ... you turn a rather trivial container into a very interesting topic !!

I'm waiting to see the weathering ... and will certainly get one of these kits, very simple volume to train on weathering technics.

E

• Like 1

Scale Scotland is tomorrow, so the boxes will get their weathering. And thinking of taking along a Meng pick up (or two) to work on. Come and say hi if you see a beardy bald bloke sloshing paint and glue about :)

• Like 2

The show itself was great, really friendly and lots of great work on show and good stuff to buy!

29323066342_7d01c41252_c.jpgScale Scotland by jongwinnett, on Flickr

You might recognise these next two from AFV Modeller magazine. They were even better in the flesh:

29396821486_69b0cd1bdd_c.jpgScale Scotland by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29396799616_e506b1bda5_c.jpgScale Scotland by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Oh, and I started a new build - early stages here

• Like 1