Airfix Roland CII - Finished!

Hello All,

I have been meaning to join this one for a while, but I got sidetracked into the Bomber Command GB with an MPM Wellington and life/work in general...

It's an Airfix Roland CII. I compared it with my Harborough First World War fighters book plans and it came out surprisingly well!

Airfix_Roland_CII_Plan_Comparison_zpsac2

I've already started filling sink holes and smoothing down lumps and bumps. The observer's sprue feed has been modified into a spike, so he will be wearing a Pickelhaube until I decide it's not funny any more!

I'm going to shamelessly crib the WNW scheme with a Lewis gun, white wings and a fish speedometer. Some rudimentary internal detail will be applied but I will have to fit into the time available.

My end date is actually Monday 3rd Nov because I am on a two week work trip to the US on Tuesday. Sadly (grrrrr) that means I will miss SMW, which I had been looking forward to a lot!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Well, it took a while but I have fettled the interior and engine into something a bit more realistic:

Airfix_Roland_CII_Interior_Construction_

I am resisting the urge to replace the kit propeller with a wooden one in the interests of time and I've been cleaning up all the parts so I hope assembly will be swift after painting the interior.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

Hello All,

Just before I start my driving my family all over London for the evening, here are some pictures of the painted interior (before I close up and lose it forever...), engine and propeller. The original propeller is dark wood with no laminations for that's one less job!

Airfix_Roland_CII_Interior_Painted_1_zps

Airfix_Roland_CII_Interior_Painted_2_zps

Airfix_Roland_CII_Interior_Painted_3_zps

Airfix_Roland_CII_Interior_Painted_4_zps

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Looking good Adrian

Very impressive (or maybe foolhardy ;) ), that you've chosen to add so much interior detail, with such a tight timescale.

Hope it all goes well :popcorn:

Cliff

• Like 1

Hello All,

Well, I'm now writing this from the USA. I ran out of time on the build before I had to pack up and go to the airport.

Over the weekend I got the airframe assembled:

Airfix_Roland_Glued_Together_zpscadd5980

This went pretty smoothly.

However, there was a ton of detail to add afterwards. The decals (from the white '80s boxing) went down well, and I'd mixed my "white" to match the slightly-yellowed decals.For rigging I used EZ-Line, which I found anything but! I am far happier with invisible mending thread dragged past a sharpie to get the right colour in general, but EZ-Line was good for the rudder control lines and the delicate bracing around the gun. I simply ran out of time. I need to add a gun ring to the rear cockpit, finish the Spandau machine gun, paint details and touch up and varnish the shiny bits.

These pictures were taken whilst the airport taxi was waiting for me! Good luck with the other builds and see you in RFI!

Airfix_Roland_Tools_Down_1_zps0b6bd2c2.j

Airfix_Roland_Tools_Down_2_zps62beefec.j

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 3

Great work, Adrian! Brilliant work on the interior! I have been mulling over whether or not to buy this old kit, but seeing that shape-wise, it's pretty accurate, I may just have to fork over the few bob to buy one. Mind you, I don't think my interior will be as good as yours, if I do pry my wallet open and buy one.

Regards,

Jason

Hello All,

Well, my meetings in the US got cancelled so I spoke nicely to a lady in Expedia and got home this morning. I've managed to pick up the Roland and finish it. I apologise for pictures taken after midnight with jetlag. I will get some better pictures if UK weather permits!

Airfix_Roland_CII_Finished_Grass_1_zps4a
Airfix_Roland_CII_Finished_Grass_2_zps91
Airfix_Roland_CII_Finished_Grass_3_zpsea
Airfix_Roland_CII_Finished_Grass_4_zpsab

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

• Like 4