Introducing Sqn Ldr Lionel Mandrake II. Waving the white flag.

Can I beat Flt Lt FR Ightning's Lightning?

I have the 1/48 Airfix kit, on order is the Flightpath detail set & am also tempted to light it too. If I make her it will be the camo over silver paint of 11Sqn, only because there's some orange on it!!

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3

I have decided to make my second Lightning in this GB. This will be the 1/48 Airfix kit plus some extras.

The Flightpath Lightning detail set has arrived in the post today. First thought was oh this is good, swiftly followed by what have I got myself into. There's a lot of folding etch to do & the instructions call out for sanding .008 off of the kit to fit this or that bit of etch.

Oh well time to stop moaning & start making, well maybe tomorrow.

I'm sure some pics will turn up soon.

• Like 4

Was hoping to get something done today but only progress made was to take some photos. Nothing actually has been built yet' although some plans are coming to mind, such as modifying the pilot so either he's climbing the ladder to board his frightning or cut off the mask, oxygen hose & radio connections, file off the moulded on belts & use the PE to strap him in then refit the mask etc.

Oh & I found seat part 5, it had fallen off & was in the bottom of the sprue bag!!!!!

Let's see what 2mrw brings.

• Like 2

Brave man. I am still struggling with my single build. It is curently in the deep freezer (to loosen the super glue) as I noticed to late that the intake is off centre... :banghead:

Looking forwart to this build - especially the Flightpath UK set.

Rene

• Like 1

Brave man. I am still struggling with my single build. It is curently in the deep freezer (to loosen the super glue) as I noticed to late that the intake is off centre... :banghead:

Looking forwart to this build - especially the Flightpath UK set.

Rene

Didn't know you could loosen super glue in the freezer.

A tiny bit of progress today. Have glued a few bits of etch onto the seat & have being trying to fathom out the etch cockpit. It needs to be folded & twisted & folded & glued &?????? I'm not enjoying it. I may even give up on the etch cockpit & go back to the plastic & upgrade it using some of the other bits.

Will try to post some pics later on.

Well after lots of swearing, folding, glueing & even some filler, I have a cockpit tub out of etch. Even managed to do this without any more superglue on the trousers.

Will post pictures, promise.

After deciding that the Flightpath Etch set isn't challenging enough ( Tongue firmly planted in cheek!) I have come up with a cunning plan to try & light her up too. LEDs have been ordered & my horrendous soldering will be put to the challenge.

Anyone know how many external lights there are?

I have red rotating at rear close to fin, wing nav lights & taxi lights in main doors. Not fitting refuelling probe so don't have to worry about that one. Is there a map light in cockpit?

• Like 2

After a challenging morning trying desperately to get the Flightpath nose ring to stick over the airfix part I gave up & was taken to Pizza Hut ( other pizza establishments are available) by the wife, wasn't told about the stop at Tescos (other supermarkets also available) before hand!!! Any who, bought some double sided tape & guess what. Flightpath etch nose ring stuck successfully to Airfix part. Who needs superglue?

• Like 1

After a challenging morning trying desperately to get the Flightpath nose ring to stick over the airfix part I gave up & was taken to Pizza Hut ( other pizza establishments are available) by the wife, wasn't told about the stop at Tescos (other supermarkets also available) before hand!!! Any who, bought some double sided tape & guess what. Flightpath etch nose ring stuck successfully to Airfix part. Who needs superglue?

Evo-Stik is your friend - thinner than double sided tape and much better than superglue for fixing larger flat etched panels in place. Have used it for 45 years+

David Parkins,

Flightpath,

www.djparkins.com