Challenger I 1/72 from Revell

BerndM

Hi, my name is Bernd and i have a Britmodeller account since yesterday active, so here is my first AFV on this forum.

Revells Challenger is a very nice kit to build, fit is good and no real problems, except mine were discovered. The “baskets” around the turret were replaced with photo etched parts from Extra Tech.
Here comes the injected plastic moulding technique to its end. That was VERY fiddly, it didn t help, that the assembled turret falls out of my hand during detailing, this was a moment the heart stands still for a second. The front baskets suffered a highly visible dent, so we have combat damage:-)
The tracks are built from the usual single links/length tracks systhem. It is always
exciting to close them, and see they get together (works not every time)

The green was sprayed on, the black paint was hand brushed with thin layers of
black, a dark wash a lot of dry brushing followed on.
A major set back were the decals, the “SFOR” markings were black, should be white,i didn t find Royal Army markings, so the side skirts were sprayed with a lot of dirt/n/mud making the missing markings nearly invisible(hope so).
Is there a decal producer outthere, who makes British Army stuff??
I hope you like it.

Bernd :bye:challa_zpsa5f1f6a8.jpgchallb_zpsd6216083.jpg1chall_zps928e7abf.jpgchall2_zps3b735239.jpgchall3_zpsfaa92769.jpgchall4_zps88bf12bf.jpgchall5_zpsc4bf575e.jpg

• Like 19

Hi Oliver, thank you very much for stopping and commenting, this my best tank in every scale, but i will post more, currently there are eight finished and two "on the way"

My little "World of Tanks" will include WWI until modern tanks.This can be understand as a long time running project.

Bernd

Thank you guys, i really appreciate this. For the weathering i used a dark acrylic wash with a special thinner to slow the drying process and a lot of drybrushing.

Bernd

I have to say I am very impressed with you work on that tank, especially in 1/72! Great stuff. I think you have 3 great examples there. Well done.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate this :-) These little AFVs had become an addiction to me, currently eight are finished, two on the way.

Glad you like it.

• Like 2

Hi Bernd

I am an aircraft model builder rather than armour but i have to say that your Challenger is a fantastic bit of modelling. I can hardly believe it is only 1/72nd scale!

• Like 1

Hi Bernd

I am an aircraft model builder rather than armour but i have to say that your Challenger is a fantastic bit of modelling. I can hardly believe it is only 1/72nd scale!

Thank you very much, i am an aircraft guy too, i thought my little Challenger was worth to post. Revell did a great job with the Challenger.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job BerndM you have really done the model justice, 1/72 scale is often passed over due to lack of detail but you have really brought the detail out with some great weathering.

• Like 1

Nice job BerndM you have really done the model justice, 1/72 scale is often passed over due to lack of detail but you have really brought the detail out with some great weathering.

Thank you very much for this kind comment, Revells kit is a great one, it was the first time i used photo etched parts on a small scale afv kit.

These small kits are a bit underrated, more will hit Britmodeller in the future

Bernd

Excellent work! Good to see another small-scale armour modeller on here :)

Thanks Paul, it was not my last tank here,i do most aircrafts. These little kits are a good break from masking canopies, fuselage and invasion stripes.

Every sort of modelling has its very own challenges and the mixture is great.