Grumman F9F Panther - Korean War

Hey guys,

some of you already said Hi in the welcome forum and so here I am presenting, as promised, my modelling comeback after

probably more than a decade.

Back then I basically never used putty or anything special when I modelled my airplanes, often painting canopy lines free-hand

with a brush. In other words, I was young and had no idea...

Long story short, I tried ALOT of new things and failed miserably!!! But it was learning by doing and

the most important thing: I finished it (certainly not a good finish though)

First time I tried:

sanding something off (it worked, but it's still visible)

using 10 year old Tamiya putty and then NOT sanding it off enough (wing joints)

masking canopy with tamiya tape and scalpel (well...the colours were probably 20 years old and way too thick and crappy)

using humbrol spray cans (no airbrush at the moment)

using clear coats (and then the wrong ones so the decals silvered ... :-S)

and so on...

viewer discretion advised (at the last picture. you can see all the putty)

Anyway...here she is. The next one will be way better!! I promise...I read these forums. I read magazines...it will get better :D

f9fpanther_cockpit_zps56171718.jpg

f9fpanther_1_zps0478b43a.jpg

f9fpanther_2_zpsa8441131.jpgf9fpanther_3_zpsfadf178a.jpgf9fpanther_5_zpsfdb3aeaf.jpgf9fpanther_6_zps26e2bdac.jpgf9fpanther_4_zps7aa67db5.jpgf9fpanther_8_zps26323f01.jpgf9fpanther_7_zpscdc829c9.jpgf9fpanther_9_zps6617c489.jpg

Edited by philtn
  • Like 10

Well Phil, after 10 years of abstinance, you are doing pretty good on your first build!

What model / scale is this Panther? I love that plane by the way!

Your paint job is excellent!

Well done!

JR

• Like 1

Nice, you found your way back to plastic modelling and your Panther is a good start. I have a soft spot for those early jets and built the 1/72 Hasegawa model of it back in 1997. Did Bridges of Toko Ri inspire you for the build?

Best regards,

Mario (a fellow-countryman)

• Like 1

A decent stab after 10yrs. It's just a case of trying things out and practising. We never stop learning even though we might have been at a certain hobby for years. I was looking at 1/72 panthers today on the Interweb and wondering which one to go for. A good looking plane with a scheme to match

• Like 1

Looks good to me, especially after ten years away. I should say that I learn something new with every build I do, and every build I read about on Britmodeller. Welcome and enjoy. I will look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

That looks great! And a fantastic subject too. In addition this is a brilliant place to learn and pick up tips.

Oh, and by the way, my first effort when I returned to the fray after a 20 year break was nowhere near as good as that, although I still keep it out on display to inspire me!

• Like 1

Great job! looks superb,an old kit but a big favourite of mine.No criticism but the decals have "silvered" which is strange as you have a nice sheen

on your paint finish,next kit get a couple of coats of gloss on which will help the decals settle then finish with a matt or satin coat to finish,

• Like 1

Hi Phil:

Really you have done a wonderful and very commendable job with this one, really a more than good start after ten years out of the hobby, hope you can continue and now have another creative masterwork on the bench. BTW the Bridges at Toko Ri is one of my favourite, I have seen this many times until I bought the Piasecky helicopter and three Revelll/Matchbox Panthers, hope you can add soon many more to your collection and have a creative hints and tips to ironing any trouble you have in next builds.

Thank you very much for sharing!!1

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2