English Electric Lightning F.6, XR728 of the LPG Bruntingthorpe

hello everyone,

This will be my 2nd WIP on BM and my 1st group build ever! I will be building here XR728 'JS' of the Lightning Preservation Group at Bruntingthorpe. using the new Airfix Lightning F6 OOB. Still somewhere in the post it is, evil bay says it could be here tomorrow!

Anyway when it arrives I will get cracking!

• Like 2

Welcome to your first GB. Hope your kit arrives tomorrow and a nice choice of machine - the LPG do great work keeping those beasts running.

Welcome to your first GB. Hope your kit arrives tomorrow and a nice choice of machine - the LPG do great work keeping those beasts running.

Bit of an understatement , they do an amazing job ! ! !

• Like 1

You're right Darth Vader, it certainly is an amazing feat keeping those two wonderful machines running. Now the kit has arrived, and a wonderful one to say the least, I have begun building XR728.

Step 1 was to paint the conical radome in Revell Dunkelgrun (Dark Green) with HU11 for the shock cone's tip.

DSCN6985_zps0a102c21.jpg

Next the exhaust needed to be cleaned up, the flash was awful considering it's a new tool kit, but it was gone in a 'flash' !

DSCN6986_zps38277177.jpg

Third step was to paint all of the intake and exhaust parts in HU11 spray can. it gave a wonderful metalized finish.

DSCN6988_zps01755381.jpg

The radome was assembled and stuck in the intake trunking, hats off to Airfix for making this wonderful detail.

DSCN6989_zps0b92f4b3.jpg Exhaust and reheat tunnels slapped in, the face did not fit into the body so it was trimmed around the pipes.

DSCN6991_zps48c68b52.jpg

All this resulted, strangely in a large gap in the nose area. I used some scrap plastic and filled it in, sanded it smooth and now it looks perfect! Now the body can be masked up and sprayed. I suppose it's fitting considering the build is going at a Lightning pace! :thumbsup: Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Here's that top gap filled in with a thin strip of plastic,

DSCN6996_zps92bd3bbb.jpg

Next HU11 was sprayed onto the body belly, wings and all the undercarriage, I know there is a large mixture of greys and silvers on the undersides, but I may just leave it silver..?

There's an amazing level of OOB detail in the reheat tunnels

RSCN7000_zpscde24386.jpg Theres all those fiddly undercarriage parts,

DSCN6998_zps6be9451e.jpg

and now she sits drying ready for some Sea Grey! Pics to follow soon, just about to spray and unmask! :winkgrin:

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Looking good. I had the same problems as you with the same kit. I also used some plasticard to fill the gap at the top. You may find that the top cockpit coming also doesn't fit well along with the glazing.

• 3 weeks later...