Yakovlev UT family

JWM

Hi,

Fameus Yakovlev constructed series of light airplanes - a small UT1 which was mostly acrobatic/sport machine and UT-2 trainer, which then was seriously improved into UT-2M (swept leading edge, new tail and modified fuselage with elevated second cabin).

About 50 UT-1 was impressed into army in 1942 in Crimea and Caucasus front and they were equiped with two ShKAS machine guns and 4 RS 82 rockets - it was named UT-1b.

My models are:

UT-1b - vacu (scratch modified) by Russian company Aviastend, Sgt. V.V.Prozor, unit: 46 ShAP, Black See Fleet, Caucasus, 1942

UT-2 - Polish injection model by Aga company, unit unknown

UT-2M - scratch conversion of UT-2 model by Aga, as far as I remeber Deblin Polish Aviation School in early 1945 (I have to check it)

The latest conversion was based on plans like that one, for example:

http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/1368/126/Jakowlew-UT-22

BTW - there is a vacu of this version by Russian Aviastend, but I did not know it before I made model. Anyway the conversion was nice to do and I am happy with it. In all machines the engines are improved by my with camshaft elemets and exhaust pipes etc...

I hope you will enjoy them.

A family photo:

ut family DSC02520

UT-1:

ut1 DSC02527ut1 DSC02528ut1 DSC02529ut1 DSC02530ut1 m DSC02529

UT-2:

ut2 DSC02533ut2m DSC02532ut2 DSC02534

ut2 DSC02532

ut2 DSC02531

UT-2M

ut2s DSC02521ut2s DSC02522ut2s DSC02523ut2s DSC02524ut2s DSC02524ut2s DSC02525ut2s DSC02526ut2sM DSC02526

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 7

Hi Jerzy:

I can't go so frequently here but as soon as I can and see you have posted something I rush to watch as now, to enjoy the work you have done with those nice little planes to make a "One of a kind" series of kits. Lovely build and great care and love in anoy on the three. Hope soon i can put my hands in one as yours if something happen in Ebay, as I haven't watched kit for anyone of this variants in this side of the pond.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

PD: have visited the link and downloaded plans just in case... :)

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Hi Jerzy, great looking birds, not seen often. Your detailwork in very nice in this scale. The one with the field rigged guns on the wing and rockets under is "hot"!

This plane reminded me a bit on late war Bücker trainers, with Bazookas on top of the wing.

Well done

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy,

Great looking trio! I like all the detail on the engines.

BTW - I think that the Ut-1 in 1/72 is perhaps the most small vacu in the world...

The Comper Swift by Aeroclub is smaller, I think. But the UT-1 is indeed a micro-kit. In my case I glued the wing tops to the bottom piece and I find the result too flat. You certainly improved the kit on your model.

• Like 1

Thank you The_Lancaster, Bernd, Michael and Carlos for your nice comments! :)

This plane reminded me a bit on late war Bücker trainers, with Bazookas on top of the wing.

Yes! Bernd, I have done this Bucker 181 with four Panzerfausts - I will post it soon. I was thinking if not post Ut-1b together with it under topic "all hand on the deck"... - but finally I posted the UT trio, instead.

Comper Swift by Aeroclub is samller

Comper Swift

• Length: 17 ft 8½ in (5.4 m)
  • Wingspan: 24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)

Ut-1

• Length: 5.75 m (18 ft 10 in)
  • Wingspan: 7.3 m (23 ft 11 in)

You are right, CarLos, but the difference is not a big one - 35 cm of original size in lenght with Ut-1 2 cm (original) smaller in wingspan! :)

Cheers and thanks again

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1