Junkers Ju 86 Z7, SAAF, Revell (conv.)

JWM

1 hour ago, Sosezi said:

I plan to make one too :) Brilliant Job!!

There are some pictures of SAAF Ju86's here: https://biltongbru.wixsite.com/ww2-saaf-heritage/photo-albums.

I also have this booklet that has some profile drawings in it. I could scan them, if you're interested.

33725461468_d7877c584f_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job JW,....... love it! I have one planned too but cannot decide between doing it like yourself in the earlier overall green scheme or going for one with the lighter undersides, which I presume were blue. I quite like them in the original silver too with SAA trim and SAAF markings!

As always,..... a very interesting model mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Gents, thank you for comments. Meanwile I have found my mistake in this model, Relatively easy to correct - there were two rows of bombs, not a single one. I've bumped on photo demonstranting it... I have to make this correction.... 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Chris, many thanks for supplementary data! :) Interesting that bombs are presented grey with yellow tails, not all-over yellow. 

Here:

http://saafww2pilots.yolasite.com/eric-johnson-photographs.php

if you scroll down there is nice photo of SAAF Ju-52 with other then typical engines. And a lot pf P40s...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

I guess that it is one of the South African Airways Ju52 with the same engine setup as the Swedish AB Aerotransport planes.

Nice Ju86. I have been thinking of modelling a SAAF Ju86 for a while. This is the first time I've seen it modelled.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JWM said:

Chris, many thanks for supplementary data! :) Interesting that bombs are presented grey with yellow tails, not all-over yellow. 

Here:

http://saafww2pilots.yolasite.com/eric-johnson-photographs.php

if you scroll down there is nice photo of SAAF Ju-52 with other then typical engines. An a lot pf P40s...

Regards

J-W

I believe the yellow was a pre-war colour. Later it was Bronze Green. In the field, you used whatever was at hand.

26399025878_42fc63ba96_b.jpg

20 minutes ago, Orso said:

I guess that it is one of the South African Airways Ju52 with the same engine setup as the Swedish AB Aerotransport planes.

Nice Ju86. I have been thinking of modelling a SAAF Ju86 for a while. This is the first time I've seen it modelled.

I have an old IPMS/US magazine article that shows how to convert the Italeri kit into an SAAF bomber.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orso said:

Thank you Bjorn. Regarding Ju-52 it look to me like some double row engine, most likely US one. Do you know what it was exactly?

Thank you for coment on Ju 86. It is rather small converison and I think Italeri  even issued it as a kind of short series kit in last few years... (but on Scalemates acheme here it is not shown https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-029-junkers-ju-86--134723 ).

Cheers

J-W

Thanks for info in Ju-52. I have found nice take 

Ju_52s-1024x580.jpg

Looks a bit like a son of "tante Ju" (aunt Ju) with Savoia Pipestrello as father ;)

Regards

J-W

• Haha 1

The Hornets did give a different look to them. That photo would make a nice model subject but the Hornets might be a stumbling block. Having said that I went looking for 1/72 Hornets but of course the BMW 132 which the Ju 52 had normally was a development from the Hornet so I'm wondering if these aircraft had the R-1535 twin Wasp junior, which would have been the right horsepower & slightly smaller diameter than the Hornet/132. I don't have a Ju 52 reference which would go into that detail.

Steve

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm wondering if these aircraft had the R-1535 twin Wasp junior, which would have been the right horsepower & slightly smaller diameter than the Hornet/132. I don't have a Ju 52 reference which would go into that detail.

I have found here:http://www.hugojunkers.bplaced.net/junkers-ju52.html 

such variants (among many others):

Ju52/3mci was a planned version for Sweden with Wasp engines, not built 
Ju52/3mde, seaplane version, converted from Ju52/1m, Bolivia and Colombia 
Ju52/3mfe, traffic version of LH with BMW132A3, NACA-cowlings, single part fuselage, about a dozen built in 1933 

Ju52/3mnai, traffic version with P&W Wasp for Sweden and Great Britan 
Ju52/3msai, traffic version with P&W Wasp for Sweden and South America 

BTW on long list of types in link above there is no info of Polish "Lot" machine equipped with Bristol Pegasus VI engines!

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 14/04/2019 at 09:20, dogsbody said:

There are some pictures of SAAF Ju86's here: https://biltongbru.wixsite.com/ww2-saaf-heritage/photo-albums.

I also have this booklet that has some profile drawings in it. I could scan them, if you're interested.

33725461468_d7877c584f_c.jpg

Chris

I'm VERY Interested so please scan them 

Cheers!!

Andrey

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, JWM said:

I have found here:http://www.hugojunkers.bplaced.net/junkers-ju52.html 

such variants (among many others):

Ju52/3mci was a planned version for Sweden with Wasp engines, not built 
Ju52/3mde, seaplane version, converted from Ju52/1m, Bolivia and Colombia 
Ju52/3mfe, traffic version of LH with BMW132A3, NACA-cowlings, single part fuselage, about a dozen built in 1933 

Ju52/3mnai, traffic version with P&W Wasp for Sweden and Great Britan 
Ju52/3msai, traffic version with P&W Wasp for Sweden and South America 

BTW on long list of types in link above there is no info of Polish "Lot" machine equipped with Bristol Pegasus VI engines!

Regards

J-W

In a list of Swedish aircraft's I have this:

#4017 SE-ADR  3m ci

#5440 SE-AER 3m nai  sold to England
#5518 SE-AES 3m nai  sold to England

#5614 SE-AFA 3m nai/ge
#5620 SE-AFB 3m nai/ge
#5633 SE-AFC 3m nai/ge
#5646 SE-AFD 3m sai

This contradicts that the mci was not built.

SE-AFA/B/C was delivered with the standard Junkers wings with BMW engines but later got new wings with the parallell mounted P&W engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The Ju86 scans above or the Ju52 profiles, that are yet to be scanned?

Chris

Yeh! The SAAF Ju 52 will be a great pair to Ju 86.... Shall I PM my e-mail address or you will go with it to forum?

Cheers

J-W

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Yeh! The SAAF Ju 52 will be a great pair to Ju 86.... Shall I PM my e-mail address or you will go with it to forum?

Cheers

J-W

It's up to you mate :)  SAAF Ju-86 is brilliant topic to me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JWM said:

Cheers

J-W

I can post them here.

47637271721_2fc03ce30c_b.jpg

47637271891_569c8bb32b_b.jpg

47637272081_831d409aa6_b.jpg

47637272231_0c5fb581c6_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3