Me 410 B-1/U4, beware the BFG! Stab II/ZG26 1944

Here is my latest completion, it is the Finemolds 1/72 Messerschmitt Me 410B-1/U4, well that's what it says on the box anyway. The colour profile of it in the Yellow Series book on the Me 410 states that it is a A-1/U4.

Built mostly OOB but with replacement aerials and pitot made out of fuse wire, brass tube and guitar string. The gun barrel is the Finemolds turned brass version. The fit of the fuselage halves and the engine nacelles weren't up to Finemold's normal standards, in fact the fuselage halves looked like they had been mastered by 2 different people in 2 different factories and the engine nacelles are well known to be oversized. Painted using Mr Hobby paints which normally work very well but I had a bit of "orange peel" appear and had to respray some parts. Decals are a mix of the kit's and from the spares box to make up the serial number and the small codes.

This model took quite a long time to complete as my enthusiasm for it would wane at every step so it had many visits to the shelf of doom but I got there in the end. I didn't use my normal method for masking the canopy so it's a bit rough and the aerial is at an odd angle where it joins the fin but I just wanted to get it finished finally.

IMG_1554_zpsd6861166-L.jpg

IMG_1557_zpse88981c0-L.jpg

IMG_1569_zps8320acaa-L.jpg

IMG_1581_zps1b7835d7-L.jpg

Me41016_zps4a35cd19-L.jpg

Me41032_zps547a3d96-L.jpg

Me41026_zpsb3e09802-L.jpg

• Like 39

Nice to see one of your works this time. Can only repeat what other collegues have said before - great paint job, subtle and efficient weathering. These Mr Hobby paints seem to be a good choice as the surfaces look very smooth and realistic.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

I think you've made a cracking job of that Duncan, the model looks great, I am seriously envious - jealous even - of your mottling skills and the Me410 always gets an extra layer of cool with that 50mm gun fitted :coolio:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Its a cracker Duncan, the weathering and painting are spot on. Will you be bringing it along to the next club meeting?

Thanks Nigel, I won't be able to make the next meeting as I will be travelling back to Norway early on the Wednesday. My crew changes have lined up with the club meetings hence why I haven't been to any recently.

DB

Great 410 Duncan, looks very and its well presented. Got the FineMolds 410 as well, with the gun Pack under the belly. It is still the best 410 in this scale, i guess.

• Like 1

Great 410 Duncan, looks very and its well presented. Got the FineMolds 410 as well, with the gun Pack under the belly. It is still the best 410 in this scale, i guess.

I've got the one with the belly pack too (U2 IIRC?), after my experience with this one though it'll be some time before I break it out of the stash to build it. The fit of the engine nacelles (which look like they are 1/48 scale!) to the wings was terrible, lots of filler and reshaping required. The canopy construction is challenging to get it to fit the fuselage (next time I'll use the vacform canopy I have) and the fuselage halves appeared to be moulded slightly out of step with each other. Nothing that some hard work can't sort out but not what I expected after making quite a few of Finemold's lovely 109s.

Once it is all together it looks great but it is a real mojo sapper. Good luck with yours when you get round to making it.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I've got the one with the belly pack too (U2 IIRC?), after my experience with this one though it'll be some time before I break it out of the stash to build it. The fit of the engine nacelles (which look like they are 1/48 scale!) to the wings was terrible, lots of filler and reshaping required. The canopy construction is challenging to get it to fit the fuselage (next time I'll use the vacform canopy I have) and the fuselage halves appeared to be moulded slightly out of step with each other. Nothing that some hard work can't sort out but not what I expected after making quite a few of Finemold's lovely 109s.

Once it is all together it looks great but it is a real mojo sapper. Good luck with yours when you get round to making it.

Duncan B

Thanks for the advise on the build, done a Revell 410 in 1/48 some years ago, i it looked good until i put the canopy on! Currently i am thinking about to kitbash this on with a Italeri Me 210

• Like 1