Fokker D.VII (OAW) Seven Swabians - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII

The Seven Swabians.

s39.jpg

The Fokker D.VII probably needs no introduction, Germany's best fighter of WW1, and the only aircraft named in the Armistice as having to be turned over to the allies.

Wingnut Wings have produced a brilliant range of D.VII's covering all three versions (Fokker, OAW, & Albatros) along with a superb range of aftermarket decals. Both were received and reviewed at Britmodeller,
The kit here and
The decals here

It has taken a while to get this one on to the workbench, mainly because I just could not choose a colour scheme for it. All those in the box are very tempting, and I will do some of them, whist the aftermarket sheets offer more lovely ones! I have solved the problem by buying more kits, which enabled me to open the box and get started on this one without agonising about which one to do!

This is 'The Seven Swabians' from the Brothers Grimm fairytail about a gang of seven foolish men who go hunting for a dragon, and terrify themselves by dicovering one in the forest which turns out to be a rabbit. Wilhelm Scheutzel of Jasta 65 had this design painted on his D.VII, and flew it in combat in late 1918, scoring 1 victory over a DH.4. The decal instructions point out that Scheutzel had a flare pistol mounted on the centre section in front of the cockpit, forunately it is one of the many extras that come in the standard kit.

The kit is a joy to build, WIP Here

On with the photos, I also bought a 'Wings cockpit' figure from MDC of a pilot taking a break with a mug of coffee, he seemd perfect as they guy looking at his aircraft and wondering what he was thinking when he ordered this scheme to be applied.

s38.jpg

s40.jpg

s45.jpg

s44.jpg

s48.jpg

s46.jpg

s47.jpg

s41.jpg

s42.jpg

What do you do when you finish such an enjoyable build? Get another D.VII out of the stash and start building it! D.VII (Albatros) engine and interior under way;

s49.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 12