1/144 747sp

A6-EHJ

Hello all I'm new here and I just wanted to know if it was easy to convert a command post 742 into a sp? If so what is involved in doing this conversion.

Thanks Christopher

The word "easy" doesn't figure into it. You'll end up keeping a few parts of the fuselage, the landing gear, and the engines, and scratching or *heavily* modifying everything else.

You're *much* better off to get the excellent Welsh 1/144 vacuform kit. It's a lot less work.

Hi yes please if that is ok

Its not that bad

I guess that depends on your point of view then. The entire wing/body fairing is completely different, and you need to scratch build the entire mid-aft section of the fuselage where it pinches in. You have to do major mods to the wings, extend the horizontal and vertical stabs.

I'd rank that as about *this* close to scratch building the whole thing, and I *guarantee* the Welsh kit will be a LOT less work.

I guess that depends on your point of view then. The entire wing/body fairing is completely different, and you need to scratch build the entire mid-aft section of the fuselage where it pinches in. You have to do major mods to the wings, extend the horizontal and vertical stabs.

I'd rank that as about *this* close to scratch building the whole thing, and I *guarantee* the Welsh kit will be a LOT less work.

Agree with the above!

I've built the Welsh kit and it's a beauty. Once out of the backing sheet, and with the parts cleaned up properly, it goes together as well as any IM kits I've built.

Well then you'll have a challenge on your hands. If that's what you're after... go for it.

If you *really* want a challenge, convert a 1/48 Spitfire into a 1/144 747SP :)

I think I will begin tomorrow and that would be a challenge

Lol

Thanks

Reading that and more comments about other 747 types kits in 1/44th makes me realise how glad I must consider myself to keep sticking to 1/200th !

Edited by AV O

Hello all I'm new here and I just wanted to know if it was easy to convert a command post 742 into a sp? If so what is involved in doing this conversion.

Thanks Christopher

If you have a great desire, why not

P.S. Photographs analysis will be sufficient.

If you use Chrome as your browser Google translate pops up automatically and will give you a delightfully eccentric English version if you ask it.

For my own part I reckon the conversion is infinitely more difficult than building the Welsh kit.

WOW!!!!

That is incredible craftsmanship!!!!

Talk about attention to detail. I can wait to see the final kit. Too bad the dude is not casting that kit in resin.

I myself, I am building the Welsh SP kit and I am very happy with it.

No way I have the skills, patience and eyesight for that level of work!

Walter

Thanks for the link, its nice to keep discovering new web sites especially Civil Aviation, although there is a realisation that I am now inadequate in yet another branch of scale modelling LOL

Cheers now

Bob