The Flying Tiger, P-40C

Hey everyone, after some time i had just a bit of time to work on some kits again, so i decided to pick Airfix 1/72 P-40C and build it straight OOB. Only additions are rivets, wires on U/C and antena wires, which i managed to break like 10 times during taking the shots and my nerves were not strong enough in the end, so the wires are left a bit loose.. :weep:
At first i wanted realy quick build, so the cockpit was quickly painted, washed and thats all.. As i changed my mind during the build and wanted to play a bit with the surface, the result is, the cockpit is now quite shiny compared to rest of the build. Well, happens. Also i managed to break one of the gun barrels during weathering :banghead:

Few shots from the build (there was no WIP this time on BM, because i did not have that much time) - i was using the hairspray technique, so silver base, hairspray, zinc chromate yellow primer (mix of ZCY + drop of green, both gunze), chipping where i wanted some later chips straight down to the bare metal. Next step was sealing all this with coat of varnish - do not do the same mistake as me and do NOT chose gloss varnish.. the next layer of hairspray/chipping fluid wont hold good enough on it and you llhave problems with spraying the next paint layers..

However, once the varnish was on and dried, i did apply layer of mig/ammo chipping fluid, followed with the camo paints - grey and green gunze (green was mix of US interrior green, RAF green and drop of ZCY), brown tamiya (mix of redbrown and dark yellow), airbrushed free hand, only the bottom/top line was done using tamiya tape, as i ran out of blue-tac. After that i did the chipping, using scalpel, brush and for the rivets enhancing i used waterproof sandpaper, pushing very gently on it. I then sealed this all with gloss varnish, for the next steps.

Weathering was done as usualy, wash (top medium brown, bottom storm grey, both from ammo RAF PLW set), very gentle oil paints fading, to not destroy the chipping and next i did try pigments to give it dusty look (mix of dust, sand and earth pigments), mig dust fluid for the white-ish mark on fuselage behind cockpit (under the fuel caps), fresh oil leaks by ammo and brown/black oil paints for touches here and there. Exhaust staining is done by black and grey pigments. Exhausts weathering was done in few steps - metal base, followed by few washes of warious rust colours, next some brown and grey pigments dusting. I was not happy with that, so i gently drybrushed some dark steel paint here and there. Still not where i wanted to be, but i did not want to screwit even more :)

Few images from the build here then - the next shots are after the paint job, before weathering.

006.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

And here she is finished. I m sorry, the photos are a bit blurry and dark, i cannt make better with phone.. :( guess i ll have to write letter to Santa as the xmass are comming... :D

As i said, one gun barrel was broken during weathering and the antenna wire is a bit loose, because i repeaired it so many times, the heat did not want to strain it anymore :(

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

Thanks for watching guys and any tips or comments are welcome :)

• Like 13

I m sorry for the late response guys. Big thanks to all of you for your kind words, i m happy you like her, it was first time i was using pigments that much. It was fun but now my work bench looks like after flavour and cacao explosion.. :D

Cooken thanks, i like hairspray method for the chipping, it takes more time and you need to find the right way-right amount of hairspray applied (which i still need to find :) the thicker hairspray layer, the bigger chips are peeling out easier), but the effect is worth it.

Stix, i started to work on the spit, but there are some hard changes happening around me lately and i cannt focus on the modelling as much as i would like, so i was worried i would screw it. So it is siting in the box again and waiting for the things to settle down a bit :/

• Like 1

1/72!!! Wow, I love it...very subtly done; very realistic.

• Like 1