Airfix/Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle Endeavour full stack

Day two of my model retrospective... here's one of my favourites, completed a few years ago, the Endeavour with ET and SRBs. This model is a hybrid - I used the Airfix tank and SRBs, the Revell orbiter and the Revell decals! (And the Airfix stand...) I first built a 1/144 Shuttle over 30 years ago, badly, so like many of my space models it was partly an attempt to improve on what I'd done in the past.

I built an interior in the orbiter, but it's rather basic - even so you can actually see quite a lot through the windows. I didn't bother with the payload bay because I wanted to build the thing as it were ready for launch - in any case to do this you need to carry out a lot of sanding and filling on the doors because their crude "working" feature means the fit is sloppy and you have to remove the hinges on the outside. In this respect the Airfix one was better! A bit of internal bracing is needed to help things stay in shape. Also the moulds are over 30 years old now so there is flash and blurred detail. Even when new the kit suffered from the well-known "Revell Fit"! The best thing about the reissue is of course the decals - good old Revell Deutschland, rebox a knackered old kit with "Super Decal" - makes it so much better...

The big ET was painted according to various photos - the different shades of sandy orange are in fact different applications of insulating foam on the real one - the stuff darkens with time apparently.

So there it is, no space collection is complete without one!

P1010150.jpg

P1010149.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010146.jpg

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...