Airliner III Group Build Chat

feoffee2

I'll need to read the GB rules, but does '25% started' include opening the box, holding two fuselage halves together and making engine noises? :banghead:

Close but so long as you didn't do any take-offs, landings, or banks or turns you should be under 25%.

Got to disagree there Rob, making noises would suggest that the engines are in fact fitted which would put it on Finals. :pilot::winkgrin:

Definitely two engines. Though i can only manage one at time obviously. And an APU.
I seem to have chosen the wrong time for this - the new 'Invision Power Suite' doesn't seem to work with just about any PC or Mac I have.....I'm now on an Intel Mac on Google Chrome which seems to work if that helps anyone else!

Hi all, 

I'm planning to build Revell's 1/144 Concorde.  As I'm a military aircraft guy,  I'd appreciate some guidance on the proper way of painting  airliners. 

I guess pre-shading,  panel line washes and panel post-shading are all "no-nos" here and the objective is to have a very clean aircraft? White primer is the way to go? 

What about  weathering of jet exhausts?  

The kit has no clear parts for the passenger windows. Should they be painted black?  What's the accepted approach in this case? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Cheers 

Jaime 

Hi Jaime,

Welcome to the GB. I think airliners that are always in pristine condition is a bit of the fairy tail amongst modellers who don't build them much.

There are no hard and fast (or accepted) rules and conventions when building them. Most will keep them clean because it is easier that way. Others do weather them (see link in post below) to great effect.

MxLZl.jpg

So dirtying them up is OK, there was a lovely B747 freighter built on this forum not long ago that was weathered nicely. Thread link here by Steve(techniquest).

In the case of the Concorde you would have to see how dirty they were allowed to get in service by googling reference images.

You could pre-shade and wash if you want, though in 1/144 panel lines on most kits are over done for the scale, they do show up on some aircraft (see above). Exhausts also show signs of use so.

For the cabin windows there are a few options:

• Fill and use decals (supplied in kit I think?)
  • Fill with clear glue (after painting cabin interior a dark colour)
  • Leave them open

Hope this is a starting guide for you, no doubt others will chime in with suggestions.

• Like 3

Thanks TrojanThunder, very useful pointer, especially in what regards dismissing the myth of pristine airliners :)

Regarding the passenger windows, they are just recessed on the fuselage, so the cabin is not visible. I was thinking about:

1. simpler approach: just painting them black

2. complicated approach:  open them all, paint the cabin black, use acetate glued on the inside of fuselage to simulate the glazing (but then the glazing wouldn't be flush with the fuselage)

Looking at the picture of the 747, maybe it is good enough to paint the windows black and apply clear glue as you suggest. Would CA be appropriate?

Thanks again.

Jaime

• Like 1

OK,

A question for those Boeing builders out there.

What colour do you paint your wheel wells and gear legs. Depending on the kit producers you get varying suggestions from white to silver/aluminum to various grey shades....

CT-43 will probably binned and don't think the other subject will be popular so maybe will be doing a real civil one!
Bought the DACO (Skyline) B 737-300 last week and some Southwest decals so maybe a late entry by me.

Hi Ray,

I always paint Boeing (and any other manufacturer for that matter) undercarriage Boeing grey using my trusty Mr Color 315.

Wheel wells very rarely get much attention as generally you can't see them! If I have to I use Boeing grey again but add a dark wash.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lex77 said:
4 hours ago, Lex77 said:

CT-43 will probably binned and don't think the other subject will be popular so maybe will be doing a real civil one!
Bought the DACO (Skyline) B 737-300 last week and some Southwest decals so maybe a late entry by me.

Which decal set did you get - I can only see Western Pacific on the Daco website??

I recently finished this one 

10 hours ago, Lex77 said:

What happened to bring this on? What was the other subject?

10 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Ray,

I always paint Boeing (and any other manufacturer for that matter) undercarriage Boeing grey using my trusty Mr Color 315.

Wheel wells very rarely get much attention as generally you can't see them! If I have to I use Boeing grey again but add a dark wash.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, thought as much. Make things easier.

6 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

What happened to bring this on? What was the other subject?

Some paint trouble! Found out after painting that I closed the wrong door and after that it went from bad to worse. Let's say painting from spraycans requires some practice.

The other subject was an Italian Air Force A319.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:58 PM, jrlx said:

Hi all, 

I guess pre-shading,  panel line washes and panel post-shading are all "no-nos" here and the objective is to have a very clean aircraft? White primer is the way to go? 

Not at all, I use the same techniques for both military and civil aircraft. The other thing is that you must take scale into account, 1:144 is two times smaller than 1:72.

Besides, if we are talking about Concordes they usually were kept very clean, you can hardly see any panel lines even in very close shots

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pin said:

Not at all, I use the same techniques for both military and civil aircraft. The other thing is that you must take scale into account, 1:144 is two times smaller than 1:72.

Besides, if we are talking about Concordes they usually were kept very clean, you can hardly see any panel lines even in very close shots

Thanks for your comment Pin. Indeed, Concorde was always very clean. I've already looked at many pictures of operational Concordes and I couldn't even see any stains around the jet exhausts. I think I'll go for a completely clean aircraft.

Cheers

Jaime

• 4 weeks later...

So much great work in this group build. You should all be congratulated. Great to see the small niche subject or airliners/civil really flourishing here. Just wish I had time to jump in and do something myself but time is getting away!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My EE 737 has stomped all inspiration into the ground. I'm on a bit of a hiatus right now, can't deal with all the puttying and sanding which is still to come. Perhaps I will leave the 737 for now and turn to a more favorable mode, robably a Zvezda A320 or 767. There is a high chance I won't be able to finish anything for this GB...

• Like 1

Things seem to be going OK and I am hope to complete the Heron towards the end of the week. But with a trip to Telford planned next weekend things could be touch and go for the other. I have started the decals on both, but it's all the final little bits that always seem to eat up the time.

• Like 1